What NOT to say to your child's teacher

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tracykaliski, Nov 7, 2008.

1. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Nov 7, 2008

I swear, I love parent conferences, but sometimes parents just drive me batty.

I have a kindergarten child who is beginning reading in English, and he's a native Russian speaker. I have regular conversations with his parents about what the letters say in Russian so I can keep things straight. Today she proceeds to tell me, "If you can teach him the patterns of the language, I think he'll do so much better." Then she proceeds to tell me the patterns of the English language, most of which are wrong.

So, we get into this little debate of sorts, and I finally tell her that I've been teaching children to read in English for 22 years and have been doing it quite nicely, plus I'm a certified Orton Gillingham tutor, which is basically teaching dyslexic kids the patterns of the English Language so they can understand it to read and write. OOooooooo I was pissed!!!

Thank goodness for the father...he told his wife to stop and let me teach the child because that's why they pay tuition.

And this is also the family whose child is always an hour late to school each day!!!

Edited to add: I guess this should really go in a venting type forum. Sorry about that....if it needs to be moved, please do so! Thanks!

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Nov 7, 2008

Oh man! A little faith in your child's teacher shouldn't be too much to ask!~! UGH!

4. SuzieQ

SuzieQ Companion

Nov 7, 2008

An hour late every day? My school had a policy to fine parents (after three tardies)instead of holding detentions for student tardies. Once they are charged they learn their lesson. I have never had a child be late more than 5 min.

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Nov 8, 2008

I would have first said, "I didn't realize you had a degree". Then, I would have gone on a discussing the fact that every minute counts in a child's education when they are trying to catch up quickly.

6. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Nov 8, 2008

I wish I would have thought of that response Tasha!! It's priceless...

7. frogger

frogger Devotee

Nov 8, 2008

I swear parents think that their child has no faults and it's always the teachers fault/problem/issue to why their child isn't achieving higher - they forget maybe being an hour late everyday is a problem. If they are late like that it shows that education isn't really that important to the parents.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2008

I think my comeback would have been more along the lines of it being such a shame that they weren't able to teach their son at least the basics of the English language before he started school. I would have drawn on all my years of experience teaching young children, and mentioned how isolating it must be to be the only 5 year old who can't let me know when he needs the bathroom, or let his classmates know that he would love to be their friend.

I would also mention that it's a shame that he misses such a huge block of time each day. The kids all realize that her son is late each day, and it makes him stand out even more, and not in any sort of a good way. And it pushes him further behind both on his English and in every other subject you cover.

Throw the ball right back into her court.