What not to read:

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Miss W, Nov 7, 2005.

1. kidsalot

kidsalot Comrade

Dec 8, 2005

"The Enormous Crocodile" by Roald Dahl. I began reading it to my kindergarteners last year and it scared them (the croc. wants to eat children!)

2. kermy

kermy Companion

Dec 11, 2005

It is hard for everyone ot sit quietly after like hour. I know they don't have to sit for a hour in class but it's still hard.

3. Mrs. West

Mrs. West Rookie

Dec 11, 2005

How about the Lorax instead of The Giving Tree?

One book that I have a problem with is A Wrinkle In Time. It was a standard while I was growing up and going to college in Michigan. I read it in 5th grade and it messed up my concept of God for a long time. It took me years to get that book out of my head.

A favorite in elementary schools right now is any Junie B Jones book. The teachers love reading them as much as the students love hearing them. They are hilarious!

4. Spot

Spot Rookie

Dec 11, 2005

My week as a sub led me to read 'Nana Upstairs & Nana Downstairs' to kindergarten, 'Dear Mr. Henshaw' and 'Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes' to 4th graders, which all seemed to work well.

The books work with most of the children, but some of the children start moving and talking after 15 minutes or so. I try to go 20-30 minutes. Is that to long?

Spot

5. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Dec 11, 2005

20 minutes seems fine for 4th graders, when did you do it? In my student teaching (3rd grade), I found that the best time was after lunch/recess, when they were ready to be quiet for awhile.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 11, 2005

A Wrinkle in Time was one of my favorite books of childhood. I read everything by Madeline L'Engle.

I have a beautiful Christmas book called Holly and Ivy by Rumer Godden (also a favorite of mine) and illustrated by Barbara Cooney (love her). The great thing is it was signed by Barbara Cooney, addressed to me, even, in 1986. I told my kids all that and they asked the funniest things - Were you alive then? Was it your birthday? How old were you? Strange.... But they seem to love the book.

7. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 11, 2005

Upsadaisy, they love it because you love it. I find that to be true of my kids. It's your enthusiasm and the genuine love of a book that affects them.

8. sbtellmann

sbtellmann Companion

Dec 14, 2005

Spekaing of the book Christmas in the Barn, when it says a s s I just read "donkey" every time. It doesnt rhyme, but they kids dont really notice.

I read a thanksgiving story about a turkey that is supposed to be killed and eaten for dinner but becomes the boys friend instead. I didnt find out until I started reading. Its a gross book. I started skipping pages and making up my own story!

9. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 14, 2005

That's what I do too. :)

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Dec 14, 2005

I'm reading a 2nd book in the Wayside School series. My 3rd graders love it! They all chime in on the word "discipline" whenever anyone gets in trouble:) Two kids even checked out the same book from the school library and they read it silently along with me.

What do you guys think of the Captain Underpants series? I've never read them myself but I've heard good and bad things.

11. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Dec 14, 2005

My son LOVES captain underpants; I think they're great for reluctant readers. Due to their comic book style and questionable language, I wouldn't read them aloud to a class.

12. Katerie

Katerie Rookie

Dec 16, 2005

As a student, I am confused as to why teachers dislike Harry Potter so much. Does anyone care to explain (just curious)?

13. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 16, 2005

My kids are a bit young for Harry Potter because of the deep meanings and now violence that is in the book. Some teachers don't want to get in the issue with parents. A lot more parents disapprove of the series than you think. For older students I have no problem.

14. Katerie

Katerie Rookie

Dec 16, 2005

That's interesting. I agree- as the series progresses, it does get rather darker. However, I did not know that a lot of parents disapproved of the books. My town, Seneca Falls, is small, and not very diverse (our family being one of very few that is not Italian at all), so I don't get a lot of the big picture. And yes, I'm a sophomore, so I've read all six multiple times.

15. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 16, 2005

Katerie, is your town anywhere near Syracuse? My sister lives in Vernon Center, very small, between Utica and Syracuse. HAve you ever heard of it?

16. Eclipse

Eclipse Rookie

Dec 20, 2005

I've taught Maniac Magee twice and both classes loved it. As for not reading the other books, I don't really believe in censorship; read the book beforehand and tell the kids what to expect or just don't choose that book at all if you're uncomfortable about it. I love having ad hoc conversations/discussions with the kids about certain "issues" that arise from books, but I guess this might be harder for younger kids.

17. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2005

Eclipse, I don't believe in censorship either. If it says a s s , that is what I read...even to Preschoolers.

18. tchr4him

tchr4him New Member

Dec 26, 2005

Way back in the thread, someone asked about The LIon, The Witch, and The Wardrobe being read to 2/3 graders. I've read it for the past 5 years or so to my 2nd graders. I've found if you have an avg to avg-high class, it's a huge hit. Especially with the movie out now, it'll be wonderfully popular. Now you just have to compare the movie to the book to make sure they don't get stuck on the movie version.

19. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 27, 2005

My kids got a kick out of comparing the movie to the book "The Wizard of Oz". I wasn't planning on showing the movie or reading the book, but one of my subs decided to show the movie and not follow my lesson plans. Not sure where she got the movie from. I was not a happy camper. Well we ended up reading the book next and the kids had such a great time interuppting me saying "That's not how it is in the movie". They could never get past the color of the slippers. The only thing I could tell them was that maybe the movie director decided that red would show up better than silver.

20. cinmcl61

cinmcl61 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005

My class had the hardest time with The View from Saturday.
    The characters are all interconnected and that was very confusing for many of the students. I liked the book - it just was not the book to read with this particular class

21. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 27, 2005

Has anyone read "A Year Down Yonder"?

22. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Dec 27, 2005

I loved A Year Down Yonder, but it might be too old for 2nd grade.

23. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 27, 2005

I haven't read it yet. I've got a set of 5 that I could use for a higher level reading group if I decided to. What's it about? Is it too old content wise?