What not to do....

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by teacherintexas, Oct 15, 2011.

1. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 15, 2011

Don't scream at my kids and call them stupid. Don't yell at them to shut up. Don't yell so loudly that you can be heard over the PE class in the gym next door.

Don't ignore my lesson plans and create your own activities and then teach the children the WRONG answers.

Don't leave the room trashed so that it takes me over an hour to pick up the mess because the custodians shouldn't have to clean up a room this messy.

Don't leave papers strewn everywhere so that it takes an hour to reorganize the papers.

In other words, don't be the sub I had this past Thursday when I was at a professional development.

I've asked that this sub not only never work for me again, but that she never be called for the entire school again.

I left clear directions. The special ed teacher read her the directions, but she refused to do them. I left plenty of work, but they didn't do it, so we are now TWO days behind because Friday was spent doing Thursday's assignments.

The good news is.....I know that if you are coming to a teaching forum and reading and posting on substitute threads that you are nothing like this illiterate sub.

So, if you are not like my sub.....thank you!!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 16, 2011

WOW.... sounds like your poor kids had a rough day!

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 16, 2011

They definitely had a rough day.

I generally never say anything negative about a sub because I want the kids to respect subs, but I did tell them I would request that they never have this sub again after the litany of complaints came in.

As important as not bashing subs is (and all I said was I wouldn't allow this sub to come back to our room so I don't think I was bashing anyway), I think they need to know that I will stand up for them and not allow them to be abused as they were.

5. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Oct 17, 2011

Wow...so many questions about what went on and why the teacher would feel the need to yell...

I always hear about subs who don't follow the lesson plan. What on Earth do they do for the entire day? Honestly, I can improvise for a while if the teacher didn't leave enough, but to avoid the plans for the entire day? If anything will lead to an unruly class, it will be dumping their entire schedule! I can't fathom why people do that!

And leaving the room trashed is definitely not acceptable. Especially when you have an entire classroom full of students who are too happy to crawl under their desks and count the scraps of paper they pick up.

Anyway...I'm sorry that happened.

6. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 17, 2011

Did your sub come up to my room last Monday? Long drive, but mine and yours sound identical.

I darn near had an eighth grade mutiny on my hands after this particular sub. I will come to school puking in a bucket before I let this woman around my students again.

And it is a difficult situation. You can't just ignore the fact that the class was naughty, but you want to understand also.

7. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Companion

Oct 20, 2011

I sometimes wonder how much I should do to clean/organize the room before I leave. I can't believe how many broken pens and pencils, scraps of paper, and wrappers are left on the floor. I have told elementary students to pick up under their desks as they are waiting on the bus. It helps but usually there is still trash on the floor. The janitors will be in later so I wonder if I am just wasting my time picking up trash. I have also had to clean teachers' desks with wet paper towels because they are so filthy. One teacher had stacks of student papers that were several years old and covered with dust.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 20, 2011

I don't leave trash on the floor for caretakers--all garbage must be picked up before the students leave the room. It isn't, in my mind, the job of the caretakers to clean up garbage left on he floor by my students.

As far as deciding to clean up my desk, if a sub does that, they won't be back.

9. Vince

Vince Rookie

Oct 20, 2011

If I don't have plans to follow, I am LOST! How the hell do they do it and not follow plans. Crazy

And as far as the room, the kids clean it in grade school. Middle school, sometimes depends on the kids and the grade. High school it's not usually a problem..

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 20, 2011

Oooh, sorry to hear that! I would be upset to if I had a sub do those things. Thank goodness, I have a sub I normally request because she knows my expectations and is really great at subbing...

11. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Oct 20, 2011

The events of the day with the sub sound horrible. I however have a strong problem with the fact that students were yelled at and called stupid. That is NEVER ok in my opinion.

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 20, 2011

My classes are not full of little angels, but they aren't bad kids either. They are just very loquacious.

The yelling and name calling is the reason this sub no longer is on the list for my school. She might even be taken off at the district level. I'm not sure how far up my complaint went.

After I filed a complaint I also found that when she wasn't yelling, she took pictures of the kids with her phone and was texting. That was added to the file.

I know they give sub training. I'm guessing it didn't stick with this one.

13. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Oct 20, 2011

Taking pictures? Seriously? I had an LTS job recently and a student had a very cute manicure with little cats painted on her nails. If she wasn't a student I would have really wanted to take a photo of her hand, but I knew I couldn't do it. First, the parents around here have to sign releases before any photos can be taken of students, and I had no idea if they'd done that, second, and most importantly, it just isn't appropriate. I have to wonder about where this sub came from and was she a licensed teacher? Was she just very young and not really clued in to what is appropriate? Or was she just clueless?

If she wasn't a licensed teacher and only underwent sub training, it might not have been much. We have "sub training" also, but it's pretty limited. They cover very little about how to handle most situations in the classroom. But as an adult, you're expected to have some common sense.

14. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

Oct 24, 2011

I have subbed for many grades and schools and I would never yell at the students. There is absolutely no excuse for that.
    And not following the teacher's plans? Once again, no excuse. Obviously this sub has no desire to get a full time job in the school district (like I am trying to do) or she wouldn't be so lackadaisical about her job. I just don't understand why she would even want to sub if she doesn't enjoy it.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 25, 2011

Taking pictures of kids and then texting...possibly the pictures??? to whom????? HUGE PROBLEM HERE.

Do you mean to say that with a room full of kids to teach, there wasn't enough to keep her busy and she had spare time to text??

Leaving trash on the floor?? Nope, sorry, never OK. Everyone over the age of 2 should be picking up his or her own trash unless there's a disability preventing it.

Calling kids stupid??? Why on earth do people who don't like kids choose to go into teaching???

16. Vince

Vince Rookie

Oct 27, 2011

In this economy, any job is better than no job.

17. ILoveMyCello

ILoveMyCello Companion

Oct 27, 2011

Was she super young? I would be tempted to look for her on Facebook and see if she stuck any of those pics on her page, with a caption like "Look at the class I'm subbing for today!".

18. Enseignante<3

Enseignante<3 Companion

Oct 27, 2011

Wow. Just wow. That's all I can say with my jaw on the floor.

19. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Oct 27, 2011

The texting thing is out of hand everywhere. When I student taught, my master teacher sat at her desk texting. I can't stand it.

I also can't stand to look at trash on the floor. Who really just lets that go? I make kids pick up the floor before lunch and before they go home. Even if I can't see anything, I make them look around their places. There are always pencil sharpenings or something.

My university advisor said she'd occasionally come across people who went into teaching because of the power. Anyone who chooses a career because they can push kids around needs some serious counseling, IMO...

20. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 28, 2011

This wasn't a certified teacher.

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 29, 2011

I would be incredibly up front with administration, and let them know about the pictures, the texting, and the possiblity that the pictures might have been texted.

Simply not having her back in your school may not be enough. Let them be the ones to make this call.

22. Joy

Joy Cohort

Oct 29, 2011

I always try to remember what the room looked like when I got there in the morning. Then I try to leave the room a little cleaner than it was when I got there. Some teachers let the students keep book out on their desks. I usually ask them to completely clear their desks. It makes the room look much tidier. I also usually wipe the desks with clorox wipes or the spray that is in the room. I neatly organize any papers from the day on the teacher's desk and make sure that there are no scraps on the floor. I clean the white boards and write the next day's date on the board. If lunch sticks need to be put out for the next day, I also take care of that. I also try to get the lunch cards back and put in their appropriate place. I want the next morning to be easy for the teacher when she comes back so anything that I see in the room that will help with that, I do.

23. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 29, 2011

I filed a complaint so the next step is out of my hands, but she was back at my school one day after she subbed in my room but as a para. I'm not happy about that, but I've done all I can to protect the children in my school. My school and the district office has received my documentation of the day.

24. MsRuby

MsRuby Rookie

Oct 30, 2011

I am sorry you had such a terrible sub.

In the same respect, to teachers:
    don't be the teacher that doesn't leave clear lesson plans and directions for other duties, such as lunch or bus!
    Also, try not to leave busy work. Students recognize it and refuse to work since they know it "won't matter".
    Also, remember, some subs make very little money (minimum wage here; even though I am half done my M.A.). We don't get paid at all to stay after the kids leave to clean.

25. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2011

I don't think anyone expects a sub to stay after and clean. I do think that teacher expect a sub to have good classroom management, and part of that includes keeping the room in order and ensuring that the students do so as well. If I returned to a messy, dirty classroom, I'd know that the sub didn't maintain control of my classroom or my students, and I wouldn't invite that sub back.

It's not about making a lot of money, either. If you agree to do a job, then do it well, at whatever rate of pay. I get paid less than the guy in the room next to mine, but we both work hard to do our jobs and teach our students. I find it a horrible excuse to say that since you don't get paid very much you can dismiss less desirable parts of the job like classroom management.

26. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Oct 30, 2011

I'm very sorry to hear this happened and I agree the sub should not be allowed back in the school system at all. I also agree it doesn't matter how much you are being paid to sub, you agreed to do the job for the pay you are getting. I never leave a teacher's room with trash on the floor. I always have the last class clean the area around their desk, if time permits. If not, I do it before I leave. The janitors have more than enough work to do just completing their regular work. They certainly don't need me or my students adding to their workload.

I think middle and high school students have even less excuse to leave a room dirty or trashed than elementary kids, because older kids should know better. If they don't, then they are definitely old enough to clean up the mess they DO leave.

One question from the first page, though, is really easy to answer. Someone asked how a sub could ignore lessons all day and not give the students any work. That's easy, if a sub wants to be a friend to the students or give them a "fun day", they can just ignore any lesson plans and spend the day hanging out and talking to students all day long. That gives them no responsibility for handing out, explaining or taking up lessons. Instead, they can just hang out all day long. I would never do that myself, but I have heard of other subs that did this. Needless to say, the others were NOT asked back to sub anymore at the school.

27. applecore

applecore Devotee

Oct 30, 2011

I'm in awe....simply in awe.

My last sub went through my desk, cupboards, used the computer to go on Facebook and check her email all day long, and "forgot" to do over 1/2 the lessons.

I would have been okay with getting through what she could with the lessons, but riffling through my desk for no reason whatsoever, and surfing the net on websites that even I could get in trouble for using is NOT okay!

I was a sub before a teacher...so I get it.

28. MsRuby

MsRuby Rookie

Oct 30, 2011

I wasn't suggesting that subs don't have to worry about classroom management. My response was not an excuse for the terrible sub in the OP, but rather just comments for classroom teachers. And subs have bad days too, just as regular teachers do.

29. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2011

I think that most teachers are aware of the fact that subs have bad days too. Even so, there are some basic responsibilities that all teachers, regular or substitute, have to maintain. Among them is ensuring proper care of the facilities, and part of that means not leaving (or allowing students to leave) garbage all over the place.

30. Scoop11

Scoop11 Rookie

Nov 1, 2011

I do something I don't think other subs do in our district -- at the end of the day, I leave a really detailed note to let the teacher know what exactly happened in the class while she was gone as far as behavior of individual students, how far we got in certain readings, etc. I write this note throughout the course of the day so I don't forget any details.

The ONLY times I use the cell phone at school -- to make phone calls at lunch or during planning time that I need to absolutely make (like today, I had to call the mechanic to set up an appt. for my car). The only time I used the camera on the phone was to test it in a room to make sure it was working for my web writing gig that weekend (it was in an EMPTY detention room, and they were fully aware of what I was doing because the coordinator knew about my other gig). And I have NEVER called a student "stupid" since I've been teaching -- to me, all kids are smart in their own ways. And if I call them out on anything, it's their behavior.

This sub sounds like a nightmare.

31. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Nov 1, 2011

And, you know, the garbage doesn't just appear on the ground as the kids are leaving. It collects all day. Personally, I can't stand to look at it. If there's a cutting project or something going on that makes a lot of trash, or even if there's trash on the floor when I walk in in the morning (and our rooms don't get custodial service each day). I stop everything to have a pick up. I've been known to do it several times per day.

But, there are people who don't mind functioning in a pig-pen.

32. Joy

Joy Cohort

Nov 1, 2011

I completely agree about picking up during the day. You never know who may walk in and it would be terrible to have it look like the room was out of hand!

33. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Nov 1, 2011

I'm really anal about having a messy floor. I expect my students to pick up paper after each cutting activity and sweep under their desks after lunch if there are any crumbs. They have to push their chairs in when they get up even if it is to sharpen their pencil and they also have to have the toes of their outside shoes touching the wall under their coat hooks. My assistant laughs at me all of the time but I can't function in a messy classroom.:p

34. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Companion

Nov 7, 2011

Since I posted my reply on this discussion, I ran into my worst classroom yet. This was junior high science class. I walked into the room and saw the teacher's desk was completely covered with papers, books, etc. It was not a matter of clearing a space, there was no place in the classroom to put anything. The teacher even had stuff piled up under the desk and under a separate computer desk. The computer keyboard had grit caked on the keys. Luckily, I found some wipes to clean they keyboard and the area around it.

To some of the posters who leave the room in better shape than they found it, I am amazed. Sometimes I feel like I'm one of the last people leaving the school. In elementary schools, I have found I am typically waiting on all of the busses to be called, up until the time I am supposed to be leaving, which is usually 3:45-4:00. I have not had time to write a note to the teacher until the last students leave. I will do a quick check of the classroom and pick up some of the broken pencils and pieces of paper. This means I am usually leaving the bldg. at 4:20-4:30.

35. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 6, 2011

Nor I am paid to clean after the kids leave. It's a part of good classroom management.

36. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 6, 2011

I had a workshop this past week, and I am very glad to report that this last sub was not as bad as the one I posted about here.

The lessons were not followed, but my kids were treated better. I can come back and reteach lessons and redo work that was done incorrectly, but I can't go back and fix the damage done by insults and yelling! I didn't go brag about this sub, but neither did I go complain.