What must I have on my class website?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TamiJ, Jul 5, 2012.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2012

I prefer not to have a class website (been there, done that...it's so much work for the few parents who check it), but, looking at my new school's website, it appears that all the teachers have their own class website. So, I have already started to put one together, but I am curious what you all suggest as must haves on the site. I have a homepage that includes info. about me, and a hw section, and I even added something that allows them to schedule appointments with me (I might take that one off...I was just testing the different things I could do with it). I will add our schedule once I actually know it, and important sites. Other than that, is there anything else I should have, or anything else you think would be nice?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 5, 2012

I think that it's important to have your specials schedule (gym, music, etc) so that parents know when to send special clothes. It's probably also a good idea to put on there which days you do outdoor recess.

Are there any special school policies? I'm thinking of the no birthday treats, attendance/absent work, forms, etc.

I also put a little something about what the students are learning about. It might be as simple as these are the topics we are covering this year to something that you update regularly.

4. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 5, 2012

I make sure I have important dates fro school events and holidays on mine. Other than that you sound like you have the basics. I have my rules on there too.

5. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 5, 2012

Most families will check it at the start of the year, but not as much during the year unless you post often. I recommend doing a class blog instead of a traditional website. Use it like a newsletter and encourage the parents to sign up for email updates. Make a few static pages to tell about yourself, provide a classroom tour and post your policies and important info.

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2012

Okay, thanks you guys. Iheartrecess, I will think about doing a blog. I have a personal, teaching blog, but hadn't really considered doing one for my class, but I am going to think that one over.

7. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 5, 2012

I have to have one. I was MUCH better about it last year, so last year's website had:
    - Nightly HW (I would update it while waiting for the busses)
    - Weekly newsletter
    - daily schedule
    - Curriculum map
    - Class rules/expectations

I think I'll go blog-style this upcoming year....

8. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 6, 2012

I have a class blog. I found parents were much more likely to use the blog format than the website format becuase they can use their smart phones to look at it. I set up mine so all I would have to do is type out an email on my laptop and email it to the blog and it would post right away. So it was easy for me once it was set up and easy for parents. Most likely parents visited the blog to find out the nightly homework or the most recent events. So they don't want to dig through a website to find that information. I can't blame them, I am a busy parent too.

Every once in a while I put a survey on there and the feed back would be useful for me to know who was actually reading the blog and what was useful.

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2012

I am currently in the process of creating a class blog. I already blog, but this will be a separate blog.

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2012

I attach my bi-weekly newsletter. I sent home a paper copy, but I leave it up all year long so parents have access to it.

I also have an upcoming events/important news section where I give reminders about things that are due and praise the kids for achievements. Kids with media releases are also featured in picture slideshows. :)

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2012

Do you use any special program to do your newsletter?

12. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 6, 2012

I'm required to have a class website. I post my weekly newsletter & the spelling words. I send my newsletter home on Monday & I update my website over the weekend. I tell my parents to check the website for the spelling words.

One year I was really good & posted permission slips on the site. When a parent asked me for a permission slip I could tell them that they could get one from the website.

13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2012

I like the idea of being able to upload documents to the site. My kids would always lose their reading logs and I was constantly having to replenish those.

14. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 6, 2012

I put their reading log on the back of their behavior sheet. It was a weekly thing, so they kept up with it.

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2012

That's an excellent idea! My kids don't have behavior sheets, but they have weekly homework calendars. I wonder if I could put their logs on the back on the hw calendar. Nice idea!

16. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 6, 2012

I do my weekly newsletter on MS Word, and it's really easy.

I've considered doing a blog, but am a bit worried it will take a lot of time! Could I just upload it from MS Word or how does that work?

17. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2012

I really don't know if you can upload, but likely you can. However, I'm not sure the steps involved.

18. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2012

I think I've got it! I'll create a newsletter using Googledocs....

19. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 6, 2012

Would a blog be considered a website?

20. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 6, 2012

Mine is meant for students ...
    - I house documents they need
    - a course calendar (linked to GoogleCalendar)
    - a button for my digital exit slip
    - a dropbox option

21. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2012

I don't see why it wouldn't be. It's essentially the same thing, just with a slightly, different format. All your new posts will automatically come up to the top of the blog, which is nice so that parents have the most recent posts.

22. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 7, 2012

I would suppose that would be a principal's decision. My website is linked to the school's website. Can you do that with a blog?

23. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2012

I use Microsoft Publisher and then make it into a pdf file before uploading it. :) That was a suggestion from our tech guy so parents/savvy kids don't try to change our documents.

24. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 7, 2012

You can do the same with Microsoft Word.

25. Lionteacher

Lionteacher Companion

Jul 7, 2012

On my website I keep pdf files of all the important projects, permission slips, study guides, notes, and rubrics. I always use pdf files so that the documents can't be changed, I had a parent try to change an assignment sheet one year and claim it was what they got of the website. I downloaded the free basic version of primopdf and it works all of the Microsoft programs I use.

26. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2012

Oooh...thanks for the tip! I don't have anything to turn files into a pdf at home. I usually have to do it at school.