What month were you hired? Positions are being filled, worried.

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by aroundtheglobe, May 3, 2017.

1. aroundtheglobe

aroundtheglobe New Member

May 3, 2017

I a new teacher, I will graduate this month with my a B.A. in history, minor in secondary education social studies (high school). I have applied for quite a few positions on the district websites, went on two interviews, but both of them were coaches who were resigning and I didn't get the jobs. I don't know for certain if they replaced them with coaches, I simply put that out there for info.

This is a second career for me and I NEED to find a teaching job, so I'm becoming a little worried that they are all filling up so quickly. I love teaching and I'm eager to begin my career as a teacher which makes it all the sadder that I haven't landed a job yet. Especially when so many of the teachers at your student teaching school, and other schools, tell you what a great teacher you are. My goal was to have a job so that I could work on lesson plans over the summer. Several of the veteran teachers at my current school where I student teach tell me not to worry, something will come up, many teachers quit over the summer, and other various scenarios. While I know this, it's a little disheartening I must admit.

When did you get hired for your first teaching job? Was it well in advance, the week before school started, etc?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 3, 2017

I was officially hired in June, because that's when all my paperwork went through. I think I interviewed in early April, give or take a few weeks. There is a lot of time before positions are going to dry up, at least in my experience. Don't fret just yet.

4. cocobean

cocobean Companion

May 3, 2017

I interviewed, received and accepted verbal offer in early May. Paperwork didn't happen until early June. I know others were hired later in the summer. We start school the first week of August, so that's also a factor!
    There's still plenty of time.

5. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

May 3, 2017

The Friday before our week of teacher days started. And I was living in a different city. Never give up hope!

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 3, 2017

I was hired in September--at the end of the first week of school.

7. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

May 3, 2017

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  8. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

May 3, 2017

I was hired for my current job in November. For my first job it was 2 weeks before teachers reported. Good luck!!!

9. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

May 3, 2017

I was hired during the month of May, and I also teach social studies. I would suggest casting a wide net as there are usually less openings in social studies than in other disciplines.

10. applesnap

applesnap Rookie

May 3, 2017

Where I live, hiring starts to happen around now and goes until the beginning of September.

When I first started teaching, I was hired as a substitute teacher at the end of April right after I graduated. I subbed for a few months and then towards the end of June I got hired for a full time teaching job starting in September.

However, many MANY of my friends didn't get hired until late August. Lots of them even got hired a week or two after school had already started for the year. This is because principals don't exactly know their enrollment numbers until mid-September, and so lots of times they get to hire extra staff once the enrollment numbers are confirmed. Perhaps it doesn't work this way everywhere, but that's been my experience.

Don't worry yet. It's still early days.

11. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

May 3, 2017

I was hired in July, we were in a year round school, so I started something like three days later, so it is possible to get hired late. My state does an audit in the first week in October, if there is a school that's way off recommended ratios classes can be dissolved or created, so there's frequently new teachers hired in October. And believe it or not, teachers do leave mid year for a variety of reasons. I can think of about six people off the top of my head who were mid-year hires. Don't give up!

12. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

May 4, 2017

Interviewed and hired mid June. But there's also a girl at my school who was hired the week before school started so keep looking!

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 4, 2017

Last position I was hired in August. This one, it was July, although I had to wait for my fingerprints to clear before they could turn the verbal offer into a written one.

14. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

May 4, 2017

I was interviewed/hired for my first teaching job in July and for my current teaching job in November. As others have already said, many districts will hire right up until school starts because of resignations that happen over the summer, changes in numbers, last minute decisions to add staff, etc. It does depend a lot on the general need in your area, but I wouldn't worry yet!

15. Bioguru

Bioguru Companion

May 4, 2017

May here, both times. Contracts go out in late March early April and the schools start looking and interviewing as soon as it appears a contract needs to filled.

16. christie

christie Rookie

May 4, 2017

May the first time - which was a total fluke and is pretty rare around here for new teachers. June the second time when I transferred within the district.

17. waterfall

waterfall Maven

May 4, 2017

I've had three jobs. I was hired in late July (two weeks before school started, and I was out of state), early April, and late May. The school that hired me in early April turned out to be terrible. I later figured out that they post positions/interview very early because they have vey high turnover and they're trying to get to the candidates before all of the other schools start interviewing. My favorite school was actually the one that hired me in July.

18. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

May 6, 2017

October. One month into the semester.

19. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

May 6, 2017

I was hired three days before school started in late August for my first job, and then in early July for the second, one year later.

20. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 7, 2017

Going by the Ohio Department of Education website, schools in my region are just starting to post their next-year openings based on their current data. There will almost assuredly be a second round of postings when teachers vacate positions to take another job or retire.

21. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

May 7, 2017

First teaching position: I was hired in Late July
    Second Teaching position: Early Aug with a start date in last week of Aug
    Third Teaching position: Job Offered in June, Contract signed in July....

March is the time positions start being Advertised in CA...but there will be another windfall of positions as the start of the year gets closer.

22. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

May 9, 2017

I was hired in the middle of the first semester about 5 years ago.

23. SevillaSwag

SevillaSwag Rookie

May 21, 2017

So I just signed my declaration of intent form for my first job-- I'll be on a provisional for semester 1 while I finish my masters(I'll still have a mentor teacher/supervision as well, but salary and my own classes), but I'm in an in-demand content w/ a smaller number of candidates (Spanish) and two other high schools in my district also have vacancies for Spanish. It seems to me that overall, it's still a buyer's market-- in 2 months there will be vacancies, without the experienced folks to fill them, so it'll be easier for new teachers.

24. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

May 22, 2017

Hired first week of September (week 5 of the school year). Subbed the previous year after failing to get an offer post student-teaching.

25. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

May 23, 2017

3 teaching jobs--First one hired in June, second one in June, third one in early July.

26. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 23, 2017

For the record, the Ohio Department of Education Job Bank just EXPLODED with new listings. This seems to be the first wave of hiring season right now.

27. aroundtheglobe

aroundtheglobe New Member

Jun 7, 2017

I am thrilled to report that I accepted a teaching position last Friday at a high school! :celebrate:
    I will be teaching 10th grade U.S. history. I am elated with my choice of school. The faculty and administration are some of the most helpful, warm and sincere people I have met, and that speaks volumes about the school's culture and it's so wonderful when you are learning the ropes of all there is to know on the backend of teaching.

Thank you all for your encouragement, I had some panic moments but it all worked out for the best in the end. I'm so thankful I did not get the previous positions I interviewed for because at this school is where I am supposed to be.

mckbearcat48 and CherryOak like this.
  28. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 7, 2017

WONDERFUL!