What might I expect during my first week of inservice?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 19, 2008

If the title of my post weren't obvious enough, I'm a first year teacher. We report to school on August 18th, and the kids come in on August 25th. What happens during this week? I'm assuming PLC meetings, but what else? I emailed my principal, but I think she's on vacation, I didn't get a response :(

3. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Jul 19, 2008

If you have inservice the first week, there is no telling what to expect. If you are lucky "inservice" will allow quite a bit of time to set your room up, but don't bet on it:unsure:
    Every pre-year inservice I have had has involved a district-wide meeting to introduce new staff (so dress nice!), discuss changes in the district and talk about each building's expectations (so the MS can build on elementary expectations, HS can build on MS expectations, etc.)

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 19, 2008

What Ahsila said + looking at data, identifying struggling students

We always hope for classroom time but hardly ever get much time.

5. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2008

Our new teachers have a separate inservice before the veterans report. In their inservice, new teachers are introduced to each other, they learn some basic expectations and rules (contract day length, how to call for a sub, etc.). They also learn about the culture of our school district, get blood-borne pathogen, sexual harassment, and mandated reporter training, meet their mentors, and go on a tour of all of the district schools. There's probably more, but I can't think what.

6. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 19, 2008

I know that we usually spend time reviewing handbook policies, as well as reviewing or learning about new programs that the district or our school will be implementing. Just be prepared to not get much time to work in your classroom. We never do and the time that we do get is in such short chucks of time that once you get started working, it's time for another meeting. I would recommend getting as much stuff done as you can before you officially go back so that you're not stessed out about getting your room all set to go.

7. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Jul 20, 2008

We report on August 4th and the students start on the 18th so TWO FULL WEEKS of inservice. I know that the first two days we are curriculum mapping with some computer program that they just purchased......even though everyone created maps last year. I have been at my school for 6 years and it is the same stuff over and over. We do look at student CSAP and ITBS scores and stuff like that. We also have the kids come in to do their DIBELS assessment. However the best thing about the two weeks is that we get every afternoon during the second week to be in out room from about noon. Teachers who are new to our school report a week before returning teachers so they have to complete three weeks of inservice...fun times!

8. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 20, 2008

Expect to be given lots of things you don't totally understand.

Expect to be slightly confused. This is normal.

Expect to be given a handbook with about a zillion pages, that will actually cause more questions than it answers.

Expect for others to seem to know what is going on, while you are still a bit confused.

Bring a notebook (like a spiral) and write down questions as they come to you...otherwise you will forget to ask half of them.

Bring a calendar (if your school didn't already give you one) and write every deadline they mention on it in pencil. Many times things are only mentioned once, and then SURPRISE!! it is due and you didn't write it down!

If you have a mentor, that is a great person to ask. If you don't, look around for someone who everyone seems to go to, who has a positive outlook on life. That's the person to ask.

If you want something done, ask a busy person. They will usually help you.

You will be overwhelmed by everything, so don't panic! Just keep "going with the flow." It will be fine.

9. peridotylayne

peridotylayne Companion

Jul 20, 2008

Ditto to Rainstorm. This past year was my first year and I remember sitting during inservice and thinking "uhh what?" I kind of let all the questions running through my head go.. otherwise I would've stopped the meeting every five minutes and I didn't want everyone hating me for it ha. I later (like right after the meeting) ran a few of the most important questions by my principal and then the rest by my mentor. Just take it in stride and don't stress out. They know you're knew and they aren't going to expect you to be perfect.

10. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2008

This is perfect advice! I agree about getting the calendar. I would also get there early, and dress semi-nice the first day, and you should bring something to change into if you get to work in your room. My school is open for 2 weeks before inservice starts- so I plan to try and get my room finished (or close to finished) before that day.

11. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 20, 2008

Oh the first day of my school is a fashion show! All campuses meet at the high school theater and it's one of the two times we all meet so many of the teachers are decked out--to the hilt! It's funny because they go back to their campus and pull out their houseshoes or go home and change so they can work in their rooms. I get amused every year, I press and starch but don't invest in a $500 outfit because I would never it again.

Rainstorms advice is right on target.

Learn quickly who to avoid, negative people will wear you out.

12. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 20, 2008

I'm getting more advice than I expected, thank you! :)

13. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2008

Bring some gum or a drink with caffeine to the inservice meetings.

14. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 20, 2008

Oh gawd yes! They do tend to drag on......

15. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jul 20, 2008

Policies and procedures, programs, rules and regulations, safety issues, maybe first aid / CPR, getting-to-know-you, special workshops, and, like others said, not enough time to work in your classroom.