What matters the most in a job?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by yellowdaisies, Nov 7, 2015.

1. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Nov 7, 2015

There are a lot of factors contributing to job satisfaction. I'm curious about what others think about this topic. What matters the most to you in a job? You can rank them or just say which is the most important. I'll give my own opinion later. :)

A. Salary
    B. Teaching assignment (preferred subject/grade level/content area)
    C. Administration
    D. Relationship with colleagues (especially those you work closely with)
    E. Commute
    F. Something else (what?)

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 7, 2015

D
    C
    A
    F- school climate, supportive community, safety, opportunities for growth
    B
    E

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Nov 7, 2015

F - feeling like I'm actually making a difference for my students/having the autonomy to be effective in my own classroom and safety
    C - administration
    D - relationship with colleagues
    A - salary
    B - teaching assignment
    E - commute

5. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 7, 2015

F--respect
    C
    A
    D
    B
    E

6. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Nov 7, 2015

1. C 2.B Nothing else is important (to me).
    Imo, salary and commute should not be a factor in job satisfaction as those are known prior to selecting a job. I guess B is too but I know I would leave if things ever got changed..

Overall I am very happy with my situation.

7. Bibliophile

Bibliophile Companion

Nov 7, 2015

C-are they supportive or just blame gamers who never stop asking for more. Do I feel anxious every time they walk by because they're always looking for something to be wrong ordo I smile knowing they see the good and appreciate it. I have had it both ways and when it's bad it's too stressful and miserable to take.
    A-after a while of not getting a raise I tend to feel unappreciated which eats away at my moral.
    F-school climate, community/parent envolvment and buy in. If we're aren't all in this together I can't be the best teacher I can be. And when parents really seem like they don't care about their kids (don't do homework with them-I'm talking kindergarten and pre-k stuff not rocket science- don't come to conferences, don't return calls, don't return permission slips so projects and trip get canceled, won't send anything in for class celebrations, don't send in supplies) I feel depressed and exhusted with the effort and emotional toll.
    E-this translates to more time away from my kid which wears me down after a while trying to be everything to everyone. This year is my first commute over 10 minutes in 8 years and it's proving to be harder on my family than I thought.
    B-it's nice to be in a preferred trade level but teaching is teaching. That being said if my assignment was changed super often if would wear me out and irritate the heck out of me.
    D-its nice to be chummy but all you need is a working relationship

8. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Nov 8, 2015

I see these as being very closely tied to a school's administration. I think the principal sets the tone and creates opportunity for most of these.

I guess in a perfect job market where you can pick and choose based on salary and commute, that would be true. I didn't personally get a job under those conditions. Also, I think sometimes you are faced with a decision that involves choosing what is most important because you can't have everything. For example, I am paid less at my current job than the majority of the districts in my immediate area pay. However, I've come to realize that other things are more important to me than my salary. I could make lots of money but be miserable because of a terrible principal, for example.

9. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Nov 8, 2015

Double post - can't figure out how to delete this!

10. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Nov 8, 2015

The idea that salary plays no impact in job satisfaction is silly. I knew what what salary would be when I took my job, but I didn't realize that six years later, my take-home pay would actually end up being less than when I started, as an example. Commute is the same way. Plenty of people take a job with a commute, and try to find a different job later because of that same commute. The idea that it doesn't affect job satisfaction is straight-up silly.

Anyway...

D- These are the people you see every day. If you can't work well with them, you aren't going to like your job. Period.
    C- A good administrator can make a huge difference in a building. A bad administrator can make each day miserable. I've worked for both types, and there's no question what a big impact it can have.
    A- I think some states are going to be in for a rude awakening in the next decade at how they have treated teachers in this regard.
    B- This plays an impact, but not as much as you'd really expect. I've worked positions I wasn't happy with, but doing it under good administrators and friendly teammates makes it okay.
    E- This really can only have a negative impact. I don't think many people would ever look at a commute as a positive, it's only a negative if it's bad.

11. Moogeeg

Moogeeg Companion

Nov 8, 2015

F: School Culture/Environment- This is definitely number one for me. If there is no culture of achievement whatsoever or just a negative feel to the building, I can't do it. The student body and staff need to be able to work in a positive direction.

D: Colleagues- Teachers can be amazingly catty/competitive, or extremely cohesive. My last school definitely had more of a cohesive staff. It was family-like. I miss that. My current school has a friendly staff, but it is much larger and more departmentalized. There is a tad bit more negativity between teachers. However, I relate well to people and have enjoyed getting to know others in my new building.

C: Admin- Admin can make or break you. I am lucky enough to have dealt with awesome admin teams at the schools I have worked in so far.

B: Teaching Assignment- Mine is always pretty much the same, and I know what to expect. Therefore, it isn't a consideration for me because it won't change unless I go part time.

A: Salary- The main reason why I left my first job is that salaries had been frozen for 7 or more years. This was not disclosed to me until I signed the dotted line. I loved the school, and probably would have stayed forever had this not been an issue. It wasn't a risk I was willing to take.

E: Commute- An easier commute is definitely better, but I would travel a longer distance to an ideal school. My first school with frozen salaries was about 45 minutes away. Had salaries not been frozen, I would have stayed and made the trek. I now live about 20 minutes away from my current school.

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 8, 2015

F. Safety at school
    B. Teaching assignment
    D. Relationship with colleagues
    E. Commute
    C. Administration
    A. Salary

13. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Nov 8, 2015

1. School climate in regards to student behavior - How chaotic/defiant/disrespectful are the students? I don't expect chaos-free schools in my district (I teach in Baltimore), but I have taught at enough schools to see varying levels of "student chaos/problems" and how this affects staff.

2. Salary/Benefits/Summers Off - Compensation is why I (and most people) work. Like I always say, who would do this for free or less money? I would not.

3. Teaching assignment - Teaching a class or grade-level you don't like can kill your spirit.

4. A city school board and a Board of Ed/central office that truly understands what is going on in their schools and produce meaningful programs and policies to address the needs of their school population. They have to be "real" and willing to admit what is going on in their schools before they can even begin to address the issues.

I don't care about poor Admin, bad colleagues and a long-commute for varying reasons.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  14. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Nov 8, 2015

I must disagree. IMO, teaching Kindergarten is not like teaching 7th grade which is not like teaching Seniors. In many ways, the skill sets needed to be successful in each are very different and this is why I have seen many teachers (myself included) enjoy/excel at teaching one grade-level/course and then struggle/dislike another. Even a "small jump" - going from 3rd to 6th grade, 6th grade to 8th grade, or English 4/Seniors to English 1/Freshman (which are all jumps I have personally seen people struggle with) - can prove to be problematic.

I just don't believe anyone can teach any age-group or course and that is why most people have preferences (unless they have not taught a range of age-groups/courses).

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
    Linguist92021 likes this.
  15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2015

The first three for me are all in a relatively dead heat, with the fourth very close behind.
    D--Relationship with colleagues
    C--Administration
    B--Teaching Assignment
    F--School Climate
    E--Commute (My current commute is less than 10 minutes--with traffic. It would be a challenge for me to change this, but wouldn't be a deal-breaker
    A--Salary (Not that salary isn't important, but I know that, in a public school in my area, I'll be very well compensated. The only way I would take a significant pay cut is to leave public schools.)

16. Bibliophile

Bibliophile Companion

Nov 8, 2015

This may be very different from person to person. I've done pre-k through 6th and to me I liked them all-just differently. I love kinder but I was initially bummed I didn't get my first choice 5th grade when I got my current job. High school though may be too much but my credential is TK-6 so that should never happen to me. I have heard it said though that teachers can well moving up many grades but it works less well to move them down many grades. I started with 3 year olds so maybe that's why I'm adaptable. If you can teach 24 3 year olds you can teach anyone

17. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Nov 8, 2015

I would. ;) Not for free, but for less money. Salary is actually last on my list. I love my school, but I get paid less than most of the surrounding big districts because I am at a charter. I've struggled a little with that this year, but ultimately decided that it's worth it to me.

18. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Nov 8, 2015

I think there are too many variables to all of those factors. My first thought was that salary isn't that important to me at all, but I make a livable wage. I would love to work in a private school due to all of the other benefits, but at least around here they don't pay a livable wage. So in that scenario, salary is the main factor that would influence my decision.

I was also going to say that teaching assignment isn't that important, because I preferred gen ed but went back to sped to get into a better school. The benefits at my current school (culture/environment, administration) are worth it. However, even though I technically could teach in a setting like a self-contained EBD room, I wouldn't do that for all the money and benefits in the world. Literally, if someone offered me a million dollars a year, I would turn it down.

Admin and teammates also have too many variables. In my last school, I absolutely loved my teammates but my admin was horrible and that ruined the whole school. As great as they were, my teammates were just as powerless as I was against our evil admin. In my current school, my teammates are just okay, but my admin is much better. I have no plans to leave my current school.

I guess I have a hard time thinking about commute as a variable because I live in an apartment, so if I had to move schools for whatever reason I'd just move closer to the new school if I had to. When I got this job I moved from the north to the south side of the city to be close enough to work.

19. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Nov 8, 2015

I think I would rank them...
    C. Admin - I believe MANY other factors really tie in with admin.
    D. Colleagues - This is an area of struggle for me this year. That's all I'll say about that subject.
    B. Assignment - I've taught 1st and 5th now and am much happier in upper elementary. I wouldn't be equally happy in Kinder, for example.
    E. Commute - I have a horrible one right now and want to change it so badly.
    A. Salary

20. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Nov 8, 2015

I live in an apartment, too, which is why I plan to move this summer. My commute is miserable.

To me, your example about admin and teammates proves that admin is more important. ;) That's definitely something I believe is true.

But I agree, there are a lot of variables. I was just curious about what other people would say. It's interesting to see what people prioritize.

21. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Nov 8, 2015

I think in this situation admin was more important. However, it was only because they were truly, truly horrible. My principal ended up being fired mid-year and losing her license a couple of years later- that's how bad she was. I don't mind my current situation because I don't love my teammates but I don't hate them either, and they don't get in the way of me doing my job. If I truly hated them or if they were interfering with me getting things done, that might inspire me to look for another position even if admin was really great. In that situation a great admin wouldn't make up for the terrible teammates.

22. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Nov 8, 2015

That definitely makes sense! My current admin is amazing and makes me never want to leave.

23. DigitalDiva25

DigitalDiva25 Companion

Nov 10, 2015

First thing is I gotta have the salary I can live comfortably with. Anything below 40k, I can't do. Second is subject I teach. I cannot work in a school where I am forced to teach something I have no passion for. Last is relationship with co-workers, now this I really don't have in my current school. But everything else is there.....can't have it all right? :D

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  24. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Nov 13, 2015

B. Teaching assignment (preferred subject/grade level/content area)
    F. Students: are they difficult to deal with? Am I emotionally exhausted every day or is it an easy job to do? Or is it in between? Can I do my job and feel good about myself as a teacher or do I go home and feel like a failure every day?
    G. Am I happy with my job overall?
    C. Administration - this is important. A bad admin can cause stress and anxiety every day.
    A. Salary
    D. Relationship with colleagues (especially those you work closely with) For me relationship with my colleagues doesn't matter that much. I don't have to deal with them, I'm with my students all day. At my current job there are a few who I talk to, very few I associate with outside of my job and there are some whom I don't like (and I'm sure they don't like me). It doesn't bother me though.
    E. Commute - not that big of a deal. I'd rather drive 40 minutes to a job I love than 5 minutes to a job I hate.

25. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Nov 16, 2015

1. F Something else--autonomy to teach the standards they way I feel is best for students.
    2. B
    3. D and C tied.
    5. E
    6. A

26. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Nov 17, 2015

A. Salary #4
    B. Teaching assignment (preferred subject/grade level/content area) #3
    C. Administration Tied #2
    D. Relationship with colleagues (especially those you work closely with) Tied # 2
    E. Commute #5 but I did move after 27 years because of it.
    F. Something else (what?) Children #1