What Math Series do you use?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mrs a, Feb 2, 2009.

1. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Feb 15, 2009

We are piloting, too. We've had Everyday Math for seven years. When you teach four different algorithms for addition, subtraction, multiplication and division, like EDM and Math Expressions, it's not unusual to see 5th graders come in so mixed up they can't even to very basic operatoins.

We looked at enVisions. I'd hate to get behind filing all those separate lessons but overall, it's really better than what we have.
    I think a text should be a reference rather than "THE CURRICLUM." This is just a thought!

2. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Feb 22, 2009

I'm not even sure what math text we use...I had them put in the book room because I never use them. They weren't always aligned to the standards I was supposed to be teaching, and they were often too "busy". I just go by my district's curriculum and the state standards and teach what's there. I pull one unit and parts of two others from the old Math Investigations, and the rest I make up. I also bought a subscription to IXL and keep a folder of math websites on the computer.

Next year, I am going to have to move to full Math Investigations, which I have mixed feelings about. :unsure: I've gotten my low-income, high-immigrant students achieving in math using my own mixed methods.