What manipulatives

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Mrs.Sheila, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 30, 2008

What manipulatives do you have ( small things), and what is the kid's favorites? I have alot, but always looking for more ideas! Please share yours!

3. Hannah's Place

Hannah's Place Rookie

Jul 30, 2008

Wooden blocks, bristle blocks, legos (all sizes), lincoln logs, soft blocks, pegs and peg boards, lace and trace, train sets and tracks, puzzles, shape pattern puzzles, playdoh, beads, cups, and I'm sure I'm forgetting about 100 other things!

4. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 30, 2008

my manipulative table chooses are the following: Mr. Potato Head, Little Ponies, lacing beads, number peg boards, regular peg boards, counting/sorting bears and bowls,pattern blocks, magnetic mosaic board, mosaic peg board with pictures to follow, view masters, puzzles,alphabet matching game, lacing cards, lacing buttons.

My manipulative Floor choices are: wooden blocks, legos, dinosaurs, matchbox cars, farm animals & people, wooden train set, floor puzzles, dolls with accessories including velcro diapers, doll house

The favorite varies but puzzles are always popular

5. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 30, 2008

Oh yeah i have playdough and stmps and stamp pads and crayons and markers and all that stuff too.

6. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jul 30, 2008

my class favs are the items that we never intended to be manipulatives. things like hair clips and paper plates w/taped on yarn hair (count the number and clip them on to match the faces number prompt), little beads that happen to shine, princess jewels/kings ransom jewels things like that. we have dice and playing cards (that make great flash cards) and the math just starts. I would say, muffin trays are the most important. that is where the action happens. they always are getting those out.

tongs too. to grab, tweezers - it is cool to use that stuff rather than fingers I guess.

7. Taliesin

Taliesin Rookie

Jul 30, 2008

8. teresaro

teresaro Rookie

Jul 30, 2008

Manipulatives

Last year, I got a building set with plastic nuts, bolts and lenghts of plastic "sticks" that the kids could screw and bolt together. Both the boys and girls loved them. I also have a set of colored transparent squares with notches in them. The kids really liked putting them together, too. I have a set of blocks with transparent colored middles in my science center- they liked stacking and building with them. Real hammers and wooden golf tees were fun to pound into pumpkins. Also pounding golf tees into fabric bolt holders is fun too.:woot:

9. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Jul 30, 2008

Here are the manipulatives my students love the most:
    Bear counters -sorting/patterns/small-med-lg
    Links -counting/patterns/sorting
    Unifix cubes -counting/patterns/sorting
    Ocean creature counters -counting/patterns/sorting/one-to-one
    Dinosaur counters -counting/patterns/sorting/one-to-one
    Ladybug counters - counting/sets/one-to-one
    Pattern Blocks
    Birthday candles for sorting

And don't forget.....subtraction!!! :lol:
    Cookie Crisp Cereal
    Teddy Grahams
    Goldfish Crackers

10. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Jul 30, 2008

Something not mentioned and is not really a manipulative are Barbie heads (we call it beauty shop). Boys and girls love brushing the hair, clipping tiny barrets, and twisting hair bands in the hair. Lite Brite is also very popular. I think the key is rotating stuff in and out. And don't you love finding tiny stuff inside purses or trucks?

11. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 30, 2008

Cool! I have tons of stuff too! I always like gleaning from others though!! Keep em comin!

12. Kindtchr

Kindtchr Comrade

Jul 31, 2008

A favorite with my classes are picking up pompoms with plastic animal one piece chopsticks. The students use the large tweezer type sticks to pick up the pompoms & transfer them to empty egg cartons or plastic ice cube trays. Some students like to sort by colors or make patterns. Some teacher supply stores carry the "chopsticks".

13. mrs27

mrs27 Rookie

Jul 31, 2008

I just watched an episode of "Jon and Kate Plus 8" last night and saw those chopsticks. They are so cute I think I am going to try and find some for this year.

14. Prekfreak

Prekfreak Rookie

Jul 31, 2008

My kids love to use things to build but when I show them how to measure how big something is, watch out! They love to play with paper clips and markers (especially those that you can stack together).

15. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jul 31, 2008

stacking markers? What do those look like? that sounds right up our alley.

we love to measure as well. Pumpkin time is all about measuring and not the scary stuff. great!!!

16. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 31, 2008

also have a sorting box and my sensory table gets filled with all kinds of stuff that they like to play with, I also have a magnetic fishing game, magnetic letters, self correcting ABC matching games I made and unifix cubes

17. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 31, 2008

My kids favorite last year were buttons of all sizes and shapes and a large 100 chart. They loved grouping those buttons on the chart. I asked for parents to send me buttons, noodles, shells, pompoms, any small items for my junk boxes.

18. Robin

Robin Rookie

Sep 17, 2008

Best toy ever: Magnatiles. I leave them out all year and kids never get tired of them.

19. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Sep 18, 2008

What are magnatiles?

20. PennStateCutie

PennStateCutie Companion

21. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 18, 2008

One set of my kids favorite manipulatives last year was something I'd brought in to use for our recycling unit and never took home...a collection of milk/juice/pop lids. I have a bunch in different sizes and colors. The kids loved sorting them, patterning them, counting them, etc.

22. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 18, 2008

That is an excellent thing for parents to save as well. When I manage to run out I have parents wishing to be the one in charge of saving them.

You can make games and all kinds of things out of those. :woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:

Sorry recycling gets me excited I guess.:blush: