What Makes you Unique????

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by JBteach, Aug 16, 2011.

1. JBteach

JBteach Companion

Aug 16, 2011

This is the very question I was asked during my last interview and I keep thinking back to how else I could have responded so that I could have landed the job. What are principals looking for???

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2011

They are looking for what makes you stand out from everyone else they are interviewing...let 'you' shine thru...personalize your answers with stories and examples, show your passion, convince them you are the only one for the job....

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2011

Right.

They realize that, on paper, all new teachers look pretty much the same. They've all taken pretty much the same courses and shared pretty much the same student teaching experiences.

But they're looking for a reason to pick YOU instead of THEM. Give them those reasons. Tell them about particular successes, or struggles you've overcome, or what you have to offer that someone else doesn't.

5. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2011

I say two things: I have a very academic background as far as my content goes. I have a great deal of research experience, including peer reviewed publications. This is great for getting kids interested in STEM careers, and it helps me develop great inquiry lessons.

Second, I have professional graphic design experience which helps me design great resources and materials that I love sharing with colleagues.

Also, I struggled with math and science in high school myself, so not only am I am example of "you can do it," but I understand a lot of the frustrations and anxieties.

I have no idea what "right" answers are, but those are what I consider my two biggest assets beyond my education training.

6. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Aug 16, 2011

My P said what impressed her about me was how much I cared about the kids and how much I want to be involved with them and take a personal interest in their lives. I actually teared up in my interview when I was talking about that because I've had many students that have rough home lives and I worry about them and wonder if they are safe or if they are getting supper tonight. I also think my emotions showed on my face when I was sharing some good stories of former students. :) As she said to me during my 2nd interview, a teacher can be taught the "craft" of teaching (specific strategies or methods that a district prefers to use), but they can't be taught the "art" of teaching (the "non-teaching" part of teaching...caring about the kids!) :) So, not that I am the only teacher to ever care about their students (OBVIOUSLY not!), but I do know that's what made an impression on my P when I interviewed. Hope this helps!

7. JBteach

JBteach Companion

Aug 17, 2011

Thanks everyone!!!

8. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 17, 2011

Well, I attract a lot of attention when I walk into a room. I have a very loud voice, which gets people's attention. I use 'funny ' words like vacuous and torpor. I was quite tart with my students. People say I'm like Megan Kelly on Fox, which is quite flattering.

9. sonflawah

sonflawah Companion

Aug 17, 2011

I would say my enthusiasm and flexibility.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2011

If that's your answer to an interview question, you're not going to land the job.:2cents:

11. JBteach

JBteach Companion

Aug 18, 2011

I have to believe the right position is out there for me. I know I will sell myself to the right school where I will end up being very happy. I never thought teaching after 9 years that securing a new teaching position would be this challenging.

12. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Aug 18, 2011

It is a challenge. Your attitude will go a long way in making it happen.

Good luck!

13. JBteach

JBteach Companion

Aug 18, 2011

Thanks schoolteacher!!!

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 18, 2011

It's a simple, yet can be a difficult question. Let's see, I personally could say that my previous grad degree partners or collaborates extremely well w/ the field I'm in now. In fact, if anyone could have TWO graduate degrees, I possess the right TWO (well, I'm working on the 2nd now).

I could also say that I'm not a procrastinator & have always stayed on the ball w/ issues my entire life...a fabulous quality to possess in what I'm trying for (when there's always deadlines for something).

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 20, 2011

I'd like to hear more comments on this topic! :)

16. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Aug 21, 2011

I was different, I was a career changer who had not been fired from my previous position. In this economy many people have switched to teaching since they were laid off and could not find another job. I was doing very well with my company, but I had the call to teach. I always had the call, but I wanted to travel after college, so I found a job that would pay me to travel.
    I also had commitment. I had been with my previous employeer for 13 years.
    Even though I did not have the education background, I played up what I did have - the corporate background (professionalism), commitment to my employeers, passion and drive to teach, and the willingness to learn whatever was needed.

17. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2011

This is exactly what my P looks for in hiring! She's hired quite a few inexperienced teachers over older teachers with lots of experience (and in my district, experience in other districts doesn't count for payscale, so it's not because they're cheaper) due to the exact reasoning you described. She's looking for someone with the right personality and fit for the school- and the right person will pick up the "craft" as you called it (certain reading programs or strategies we use) easily, yet the "art" can't be taught.