What makes you special?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MrsCK, Jul 27, 2011.

1. MrsCK

MrsCK Companion

Jul 27, 2011

Why should you be hired over everyone else that has applied for this job? For some reason, I have the hardest time answering this question. I want it to be perfect! I say that my passion is what makes me stand out, then I try my best to list ways that I would benefit their team. It's a hard one!! What do you say to this question?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2011

I think that what sets me apart is the relationship I am able to form with my students. Colleagues often comment on the way I am able to reach some of the toughest kids and help them to know that I am on their side and that they have value and worth.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 27, 2011

Yes, this question is tough because I think having the passion is the #1 thing people reply with. So, employers are used to hearing that one. When you or someone comes up w/ a better reply, I'd like to know what it is! :)

From what I've heard, VERY COMMON replies that a person may not want to say (even though there's nothing wrong w/ saying them) are:

- having the passion
    - saying one will put in 110% or 150% into the job
    - saying how much one just loves working w/ kids

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 27, 2011

It's been several years since I've had to interview, but I would comment on my ability to connect with high school students and my INability to half-ass anything (said more professionally, of course). I also have a very strong set of tech skills and am involved in an amazing online PLC that helps keep me on the cutting edge of education topics.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2011

- I know my content, cold. Your kids will learn their stuff in my class.

- Classroom management tends to be a non-issue most of the time. (Careful not to spit into the wind there!!!) Your administration won't have to deal with my discipline issues.

- I tend to get along fairly well with people-- my kids, their parents, my colleagues.

-

7. MrsCK

MrsCK Companion

Jul 27, 2011

Bah! I hope I didn't ruin it with my answer! These are great. It seemed like the most important question of the interview...I guess I can't worry about it now. The rest of the interview gave away everything that I could offer them. What will be, will be!

8. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 27, 2011

My 12 years in business marketing management gives me two advantages: I'm skilled at working with diverse groups of adults; and using technology is second nature for me.

I also am a strong fit for (my school) because I genuinely view all aspects of a child's growth as equally important.

9. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2011

I hate this question, because I'm not very good at "selling" myself.

But here's the approximate answer I gave at my last interview (and I landed the job :))

I don't think I'm special, per se - I'm just doing the same job thousands of other people do, with the same goal in mind. But I think I'm pretty good at getting the students to learn. Permanently. I'll jump on desks to make a point or sing to get their attention. I play games with them and I force them to memorize the basics. I read to them in different voices so that the words come alive and mean something other than an endless march of black print across the page. I make them write until they beg for mercy and then give them a high five when they realize how much they've improved. I understand that middle schoolers are crazy and I don't hold it against them. So I don't really think it's all that special - it's just how I do my job.