What makes you an awesome teacher?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, Apr 26, 2014.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Apr 26, 2014

You know, better than the rest? Your lessons, your management style, your test scores? What makes you stand out from the pack?

:woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2014

A passion for what I do
    Enthusiasm
    A can do attitude
    Flexibility
    Building connections with each student
    Growing students' confidence and capabilities
    Content knowledge

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 26, 2014

How I treat students.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 26, 2014

I spent 8 hours of my summer break, typing out a reasonably lengthy (250 words) note to each parent in my room to go in third quarter report cards, giving them specifics about what their child was doing well, what they needed to work on, and why specifically I enjoyed having them in my classroom.

6. ktdclark

ktdclark Comrade

Apr 26, 2014

Letting kids be kids (I like my students to have fun!!!!) while also supplying an academically challenging classroom...
    A flexible attitude and the desire to continuously improve my craft, even after 20 years of teaching:)

7. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Apr 26, 2014

My relationship with parents, especially the ones with very high-maintenance kids. I often hear that I'm the only teacher understands their child.

Also, I seem to be very popular with the demographic of parents who have lots of tattoos and piercings.

8. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Apr 26, 2014

I think you meant Spring break. I don't blame you, I can't wait for summer either ...

Anyway, take a bow for writing the comments.:clap: I HATE "writing" RC comments even though all I have to do is check a box next to the comments I choose on the computer screen. I give it up for all ELEM teachers that have to write these extensive paragraph-long comments. :clap:

9. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 26, 2014

Oh, I didn't have to. I just think our report cards are terrible and don't give the parents any real information. 20 of my 28 kids got 3's in every single category.

10. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Apr 26, 2014

You don't have to? But you choose too?

Take another bow.:clap: Encore!!!:clap:

11. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Apr 26, 2014

1. I want to get my doctorate
    2. I allow food in my room
    3. I don't sugar coat the student because he is an athlete

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2014

Huh?

13. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 26, 2014

Can you please drop the facade? Even if you were a teacher, none of those things would make somebody an awesome teacher.

14. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Apr 26, 2014

Why? He's not harming anyone.

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 26, 2014

No, he's not hurting anyone. But it's understandable to want someone who is pretending to be a teacher to just stop already. It's such silliness.

16. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Apr 26, 2014

But, it's all in good fun. I guess I don't see the harm or think it's that serious to get upset over it. Maybe that's just me though.

17. comaba

comaba Cohort

Apr 26, 2014

Maybe he could add a signature:

I'm not a teacher, but I played one in a school play once.

18. Lurker

Lurker Rookie

Apr 26, 2014

I have loved every child who has entered my life. Whether it was babysitting, teaching, or a family member. I look at a child and think "This could be the next president". My niece is a great dancer and my sister in law didn't want to pay for dance lessons and I got them for her for her birthday gift. I can't imagine not encouraging a child. :(

I speak multiple languages and lived in different countries while growing up. I feel like I am sensitive to other cultures and bring other cultures to the classroom. I'll discuss a cultural event and really be genuine. Where as I'll hear other teachers talking about the same event/tradition and tell they're not into it. It's one thing to say talk about Diwali, but I've actually celebrated it in India. I don't go "During Diwali, blah blah blah'. I have experience and bring that to the classroom.

I also bring in a lot of whole materials. I think when you're talking about something one day and have the material, or bring it the next day, the children will remember. I notice a lot of my coworkers don't do that. :(

19. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Apr 26, 2014

"Awesome" according to ME or "awesome" according to a bunch of 15 year olds? :p Because the latter can probably be summed up with "once she brought us donuts... that was kinda cool, I guess. She's aight." :D

Whatever it is, I know what MAKES me awesome is, in large part, having genuinely wonderful teachers in my department and an extremely supportive school/admin.

20. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Apr 27, 2014

I am willing to try new things
    My lessons are engaging and student focused
    I am enthusiastic and try to encourage a love for learning

21. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Apr 27, 2014

I don't think any teacher is any more "awesome" than anyone else. Everyone I've encountered either possesses most of the qualities listed in this thread so far, or really puts an effort towards them.

;)

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 27, 2014

If he's interested in teaching, he should come clean, admit to being a student and interact here as such. We have a few student members (Math and bros...although bros is now a college grad who has gone thru an Ed program)... Both those members have added to discussions with legitimate questions, insight and comments. The person in question, however, has gone thru great lengths to create a bogus teacher web page and pretends he's something he's not here on the forums. Harmless? Maybe. I do like the disclaimer line as suggested above by comaba ;) Or maybe a member status of Class Clown would work.:rolleyes:

23. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 27, 2014

He's given people advice though, as though he were a ten year vet... and to be quite honest, with some of the things he's said here, anyone who takes him at his word that he is a teacher would probably have their opinion of teachers in general lowered a bit.

24. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Apr 27, 2014

I don't know that I'm awesome, but I do know that I am better at the craft of teaching than many. But my criteria might be radically different that that of other people.

For instance, we have teachers that have not moved past high school themselves. They think that connecting with students requires being silly - wearing masks in the hallway, talking in character's voices for a class period, using light sabers for pointers, etc. I don't think that makes them nearly as awesome as they think - in fact I think it is distracting.

I think I'm awesome when I hold students' accountable for their actions. Others think they are awesome when they give multiple chances over and over.

While it does irritate me when other teachers deliberately ignore school rules in order to play the "cool" card, I can appreciate the fact that students learn they are going to have to submit to the authority of many different personalities as they get older. If they learn nothing else they will learn to be flexible.

25. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Apr 27, 2014

I dunno.... those donuts I brought WERE pretty darn awesome... :whistle:

But I agree with you... I don't think anyone (at least not anyone who frequents this site) ever sets out to be less than awesome.

26. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Apr 27, 2014

I would agree. I have always thought that people who frequent this site on their own time are people who are the type who reflect, seek to improve, are passionate about what they do,etc. People who aren't engaged in the profession probably wouldn't spend time here (imo). I frequent several message boards/forums personally - and they are all things that interest me. Conversely, I have never frequented a site devoted to professional wrestling, skydiving, or caring for pet snakes or rodents.;)

27. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Apr 27, 2014

I firmly believe that every day, I can better myself as an educator. That said, I am successful in my classroom because:
    I have developed a relationship with my students
    My classroom management
    My expectations for the students
    My organizational skills leave me more time for teaching

28. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 27, 2014

I don't think I'm an awesome teacher. I'm just trying to be a good enough teacher.

29. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Apr 27, 2014

:lol:

30. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Apr 27, 2014

For someone named Reality Check I'd love to know what world you live in. As both a student and teacher I've come across countless non-awesome people. This type of thinking encourages mediocrity.

I have no hesitation saying I am more awesome than other teachers I know. For one, I actually come to work on time which puts me ahead of at least three people at my site.

31. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 27, 2014

I don't think it's good fun. What's the fun in pretending? Sometimes he asks questions, and people respond because they want to help. He sits back and laughs. To me that's annoying.
    This kid is a sophomore in high school (or maybe freshman?) He seems pretty smart and clever for his age, if he's interested in teaching, he'd be welcome here as a student.

32. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Apr 27, 2014

Yes, I agree with this. Completely. I know many teachers who have NO desire to be awesome. They come in, punch the clock, do just enough.

I also know many who go above and beyond, want to get it right, want to make it meaningful. If you care, you punch it up so that it's awesome; for you, or for your students, or for your profession, or all of the above... You know who you are.

What is that one ingredient that will make your students remember you when they are adults as being an inspiring and awesome teacher?

33. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Apr 27, 2014

Non-awesome in your opinion.. don't you think a lot of them think that THEY'RE awesome? And I'd be willing to bet that not everyone in your school agrees with your assessment that you're the most wonderful teacher they've ever seen.

Being self-confident of one's own awesomeness is very for the ego boost, but just because you think you're great doesn't mean you are. And just because you think someone is "non-awesome" doesn't mean they're not trying.

34. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Apr 27, 2014

You know, I'm not too terribly concerned about students looking back in ten years and thinking I'm awesome. I don't need that immortality. MOST people in this nation do not know what it takes to be a good teacher. They have no idea. Most of my students are going to be just like them. They won't be able to look back through an adult's eye and judge me effectively any more than their parents can now.

I would, however, be mighty flattered if some of my former students who became teachers themselves realized what I was doing and appreciated my choices.

35. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 27, 2014

I don't know what would make me better than anyone else but the skill that other teachers at my school seem to think is my specialty is organization. I have set systems for everything I do, I require my students to be organized, and I generally approach things very methodically.

36. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 27, 2014

For what it's worth, I'd hardly consider somebody always running late to automatically put them in the "bad teacher" category. One of my colleagues is always ten minutes late. Is it because she's lazy? Is it because she doesn't care about her job? Is it because she's a crappy teacher? No, it's because she has to bring her daughter to work with her, and she has my principal's approval to come ten minutes late (which is twenty minutes before students arrive) under the condition that she stay a minimum of ten minutes late each day. Generally, she stays about an hour and a half.

37. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Apr 27, 2014

I love my students like I'd love my own kids if I had them. I do tend to spoil them maybe just a little. Sometimes I swear I can't help myself, but I've gotten better about spending so much on my classroom and kids. I want them to have a happy and safe classroom. I like to randomly dance and sing in class.

38. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Apr 27, 2014

I'm fun.

39. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Apr 28, 2014

If I thought I was less awesome than anyone I worked with I'd be spending every day in their classroom figuring out why. I didn't say I was better than everyone at my site. I said some are clearly awesome and I'd absolutely count myself in that group.

I would not count someone who shows up after the kids do in that group - permission or not.

And I don't equate non-awesome with not trying. I never said anything of the sort. Lots of people try and fail. I try to play keyboard all the time - I'm utterly terrible. I won't pretend otherwise. If we dumb down teaching into being nothing more than trying hard then we do our profession a major disservice. There is skill involved and, I'd argue, natural talent too.

40. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Apr 28, 2014

Awesome? I think that is an 80s word but I may be wrong. I like to think I do well because I listen to kids and pay attention to their needs. I follow through when they have conflicts but I try and allow them to resolve them when I can. I try to give praise whenever I can and thank kids when they help me. I also dispense the occasional wisdom about treating people with respect and courtesy. Quite a few of the faces I see during PE tell me I am at least the favorite person they have encountered that day. ;)

41. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Apr 28, 2014

I like that my students feel comfortable and safe in my classroom. They know that we will laugh, but it will never be at the expense of someone else. They tell me that I am patient with them, and I don't get frustrated when they don't understand something. I don't get angry when I have to say something for the third or tenth time (even if I know they weren't listening). They know that they can ask me questions, and I'm not going to judge them or think they're dumb. I don't know if that makes me an awesome teacher, but according to the kids, it makes me unique... which is sad.