What makes a great teaching space?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Iggy Oz, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Iggy Oz

Iggy Oz New Member

Jun 12, 2015

I work at an independent secondary school and we are looking at some big changes to the teaching and learning spaces (for both students and teachers).

So my question is what makes a great teaching space (regardless of whether it is primary or secondary)?

I would be interested in any pictures or layout plans of your rooms in addition to any comments. Alternatively if you could build a new teaching space what would you do with it. (Room and furniture).

3. whollyconsumed

whollyconsumed Companion

Jun 12, 2015

I am sure that there are probably articles already written on the topic, but off the top of my head, I would say accessibility to materials is important. Just my opinion, I would want some natural sunlight.

4. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Jun 12, 2015

There are so many things to consider. That is a huge question. Off the top of my head, windows to the outside and soundproofing where appropriate. A thermostat the teacher has access to is also nice. Enough space for kids to spread out and not be confined to desks simply because they take up the entire room. A desk or other workspace for the teacher with an area that locks.

5. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jun 12, 2015

Open space for kids to work on the floor or at a small group table.

6. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Jun 12, 2015

Plenty of room and storage... Easily moveable furniture. Semi-divided spaces for group work.

7. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jun 13, 2015

Since you say secondary I just think the most important thing is space. I always hated having to sit so close to my classmates. Our desks were literally touching even thought we weren't sitting in groups. Which reminds me, I enjoyed that in my science classes we sat at lab tables and stools instead of desks. I would have liked that in every class. I'm just spewing out random info :lol:

8. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 14, 2015

Organization, lighting, ability to rearrange, electrical outlets, noise reduction features, color.

9. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jun 14, 2015

Neatness! A calm, comforting place encouraging learning.

Accessibility to materials and space appropriate to teaching style.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2015

I'll repeat some of what has already been suggested and add some of my own ideas.

• Neat and tidy
    • No clutter and no big piles of stuff/papers/books
    • Walls have a few interesting/useful things but aren't packed with a million posters. My eyes know where to look and aren't overwhelmed.
    • Large writing spaces where students can spread their stuff out
    • A variety of grouping/seating arrangements: a few single desks/tables, a few small group tables, and a way to convert the setup for whole group activities
    • Enough materials for each student. This includes books, tech, and supplies (pencils, paper, etc.).
    • A few plants
    • Calm, low lighting
    • Lots of storage
    • Plenty of electrical outlets
    • Temp control
    • Large window

11. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2015

Wouldn't it almost necessarily depend on the students you're teaching? Pictures might be inspiring tip some and distracting to others, space could mean to much distance for those who collaborate often, etc.

I guess access to materials e is pretty universal.

12. adeeb

adeeb Rookie

Jun 15, 2015

Here's an interesting article I came across a while ago. It basically talks about how introducing modern furniture in the classroom can nurture creativity and collaboration, among other skills that are beneficial to students.

Even if you cannot obtain new furniture, the article might give you some ideas on how you can organize your teaching space.

13. MaryPoopins

MaryPoopins Rookie

Jun 16, 2015

I would like a white board on more than just one wall. That way I could teach from the back of the class or the front or the side. Nobody is at "the front of the class." I like to move around the classroom a lot as I teach so that I can see everybody. Everybody has a good chance to see me and it deters any bad behaviour before it begins.