What makes a date good or bad?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Cerek, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Dec 23, 2010

I've seen some comments in other threads from the female members mentioning that a date was bad, so that made me curious. Exactly what makes a date "good" or "bad" in your opinion? What do you look for from the guy and what do you expect from him, especially during the first few dates?

I consider myself a gentleman who always treats a lady with respect and courtesy, but I'm not egotistical enough to think I know everything necessary about making women happy. I'm always willing to learn more, especially from the female perspective.

So, what determines if a date is good or bad, in your opinion?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 23, 2010

Good dates-we have something to talk about throughout the date, find a few common interests, lots of smiling

Not so good dates-long periods of silence (not because of an activity), phones calls or flirting with someone else, constant put downs or negative comments

4. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Dec 23, 2010

A great date is when a guy treats you like a princess and at the same time you have a great connection with him. There is a lot of laughter and he gets your jokes and you get his.

Bad date is when he talks about himself all the time, he's looking at his phone, he talks constantly about what he wants and also is very judgemental and last but not least, he doesn't have a good sense of humor.

5. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Dec 23, 2010

A good date is one that you are still on 18 years later.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 23, 2010

Amen to that, though for me it's 21.

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 23, 2010

I always thought a good date was one you didn't want to end, and a bad date is one you can't wait for it to be over.

To me, it doesn't have to be bells and whistles, just polite behavior, interesting conversation, and a good plan. Call me old fashioned, but I think the guy should have the night planned, with enough flexibility to stop and watch the sunset if necessary.

8. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Dec 23, 2010

For me a good date is one where the person doesn't show any of the deal breakers on my list (for me its negativity, inability to stay gainfully employed, disinterested in raising a family, prejudiced, no jail experience etc.)
    and has some chemistry.

The biggest indicator of a date that will flop (for me) is when the guy says, "I have a great job" (in such a way that he is settled until death). I can't stand a man who has no ambitions beyond a drone at a decent job...but that just shows every gal is different :)

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 23, 2010

Good

- Being respectful, kind, & humble
    - Open doors, pull out chairs, etc.
    - Treating me like I'm the only lady in there (meaning not showing attn to other females/flirting)
    - Good conversation between us
    - Him not expecting someting sexual to happen anytime soon
    - No game playing: If he likes me, ask me out again, don't leave me hanging/wondering where I stand, etc.
    - Asking for my opinions/wants on things

Bad

- Not being polite to the others (waiters, etc.)
    - Acting at all egotisical, haughty, etc.
    - Talking too much & not letting me get a word in

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 24, 2010

On a related note, I really really love that Heineken commercial where a young woman is sitting at a table with an older woman, and turning down guys who are asking her to dance, then a guy with a Heineken walks up and asks the old woman to dance (while giving her the beer). That would be the kind of thing that would make me smile! It's something my husband would do. That's why I married him!

11. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Dec 24, 2010

At first I had a joke but then I remembered it was a joke I could not tell my grandmother.

A good date to me as a guy is does she smile or laugh at my feeble attempts to be funny.
    Does she take my hand or arm when walking to or from where we had the date at.
    When we talk she keeps eye contact.
    She talks about interesting things, not what her last date did or what her friends are doing, She takes turns when talking with me.
    I get at least a peck on the cheek when I say good night, and she says call me. (Hopefully she has already given me her number :lol: )

12. Starista

Starista Cohort

Dec 24, 2010

I wholeheartedly agree with your #1 under "bad" dates. I get so upset when folks are rude to the waitstaff. Whether it's in like at Starbucks at 6 AM or in a fancy restaurant at 7 PM -- there is little to zero excuse for that kind of bad behavior.
    :love:

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 24, 2010

I think a great first date needs to be unique- not just the typical dinner and movie. Of course, I am biased about that because on my last first date, I went to see bullriding, a Japanese steakhouse, an all night bookstore, and then spent a few hours walking around a rose garden in the city park. And I suspected as I drove home that it might be my last first date.

14. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Dec 24, 2010

It is a major turn off to me when a guy is rude to service people (cab drivers, restaurant servers, etc). Also, I cannot stand when someone brags about brands and money.

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 24, 2010

I really just want to have a good time with someone. If he makes me laugh and laughs at my (lame) jokes, that's a good date.