What makes a bad teacher?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Caesar753, Jun 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2007

That's why I never want to know too much about my kids before I meet them. I don't want to hear that Rich was a huge problem last year, or that Rebecca never shut up. That may have been true, but that was another teacher, and they've had a summer to grow up.

Yet it's amazing how many teachers want the lowdown on their class lists.

2. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 1, 2007

I agree, Alice. A teacher in the next grade at my school came over to me during an assembly and asked me, "Who are your problems this year?" She has taken the stance that we passed off ALL the "difficult" students to her this year... I was stunned, and reversed the conversation to talk about what a great class I had!

It's one thing to learn about the demographics of a class, but quite another to label the kids beforehand. And ya know, some of the "top" kids in a class have the potential to turn into problems too! Especially if they take their "topness" (sorry!) to the extreme and become precocious! :-D

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2007

Something else just made me think of this:

A bad teacher is one who is looking for "one size fits all" education. He or she is unwilling to do any work on his own, figuring that "reinventing the wheel" is a waste of time. So he takes whatever he can from whoever will give it, and contributes nothing, changes nothing. He tries to mold the kids to the materials instead of the reverse.

4. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jul 1, 2007

This has got to be the scariest thread I've ever read.

Makes you wonder... what will my students say about me?

5. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Jul 1, 2007

I think my teaching partner

takes top notch for being a really bad teacher. She misses school at least one day a week, never comes in to leave sub plans, and has absolutely no control over her students. Somehow she has not gotten fired yet, although I have big dreams that she will just quit over the summer. This was her first year at the school and it was just awful. I would have to spend all my planning periods helping her sub find things to do. It isn't even like she had valid excuses for being sick. Once she cut her foot and was out for two days...she didn't even need stitches. Another time she ran her car into a curb and ripped the stitches she had on her back from a mole removal...I'm so not lying on that one. Another time she left school right away because she scratched her eye with a folder...no visible sign of injury either. The worst thing is that we loop, so her poor students will have her for another year. She was two whole chapters behind my class in math, and five weeks behind my class in reading. I would be horrified if one of my children were in her class. It just bums me out that there are so many good teachers out there looking for a job, and I get stuck working with a teacher who doesn't teach! Sorry this turned into a big rant from me :eek:

6. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jul 1, 2007

Thankfully, even "bad" teachers have a purpose-even if its only to teach us exactly how we do not want to be. I could count on one hand the number of good teachers I have had and that, although small in number, far outweighs all of the bad teachers I have had.
    I can remember one teacher in particular, that was the epitome of a terrible horrible no good very bad teacher. He was fresh out of college, his first year teaching chemistry at a catholic high school. He was more interested in being friends with the guys in the class and making the girls swoon over him. He had a big ego and swore like a trooper the entire class, he drew male anatomical parts and labeled them with students names, and attempted to regal the class with stories of his late nights as a bouncer at the local bar. Needless to say high school guys were thrilled and who cares we barely did any work! That was the prevalent attitude and administration did know about his swearing and his desire to be friends with the students and not teach, but he stayed for the year, when in truth he should have been fired within the first hour.
    Somewhat contrary to what others are saying, you need to be a teacher and a role model first, you need to build a relationship with the students, but this simply went to far, it was unprofessional and our learning and education suffered because of it. That makes an awful teacher.

7. Mathadore

Mathadore Rookie

Jul 1, 2007

My fifth grade teacher used to shake us in front of the classroom whenever we could not solve a problem correctly on the board. She was awful.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 1, 2007

I had one teacher that would force all of us to turn in our papers if ANYONE talked even a little bit even to HER! So this one girl thought it was funny and everyday she would say, "Guess what I did this weekend, Ms..xxx" or something similiar. The whole exchange couldn't last more than a sentence or two but EVERYONE would have to turn it in. If you got 2 problems done out of 20 then 18 were counted wrong. To top it off you weren't allowed to ask questions during class (very very hard for a very very hard of hearing student). Once I went for tutorial and she told me it should be in my notes and that I should refer to them. Look back today I can see she was probably just a very frustrated teacher trying unsuccessfully to correct some problems that were plaguing her from teaching the way she wanted to.

9. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Jul 1, 2007

When teachers do not look at the good qualities of a student. Also, when teachers do NOT genuinely care about a student, if it is grades or not. I absolutely hate teachers who are "just there."

Alice I love the one size fits all! lol

Have any of you all had a student 2 years in a row a saw a complete turn around?

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 1, 2007

Not two years in a row but we had a student last year that secretly I would have suggested the kid had ODD and did a complete 180 by the end of the year. He still had some aggression but he worked through tons of issues and I have to say I was completely proud even if he was a lot of work on any given day!

11. bettyb

bettyb Companion

Jul 1, 2007

My worst teacher was my third grade music teacher. She made me stand up by my desk every day and sing the same song (Bow wow wow, whose dog art thou . . .) so she could critique my singing. She did this to three of us. I hated her class and was determined that I would never be mean to students like she was. She had a choir, and I wanted to join, and she told me no in front of the whole class. I will always remember her.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2007

Not "complete", but lots of gradual turn arounds.

In HS it tends to happen in sophomore year. They leave freshman year as one person, return as juniors totally different people. It's that person they'll be as adults. It's one reason it's so interesting teaching sophomores.

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2007

Silver Rain: Along that same line, when meeting with a college advisor she told me that I would never be capable of making it through college to become a teacher, and that I really shouldn't waste my time. It is a very long and rather complicated explanation as to why she thought that, but in a nutshell she was being very ignorant. When I graduated Magna Cum Laude (one of only two in my department) I mailed her a copy of my diploma with those words circled in red, along with a short note explaining why I was compelled to do so. I'm not usually "that type", but it felt so good to know she knew. :)

14. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2007

Success it its own "just reward"

I had some teachers who never would have thought I'd become a teacher well after 33+ years as a teacher. THAT is my "just reward"

My 5th grade teacher, Miss Chu, e mailed me the other day (she actually e-mailed my superintendent who forward it to me) She told me how proud she was of me. Now I am 55 so she is about 70 and was in education all her professional life, now that is something to be proud of. (she retired for the NYS Education Department)

15. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 2, 2007

The worst teacher I ever had....

We had a "slow" child whose last name was Holloway. The teacher always called him "Hollow-head."

16. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 2, 2007

My least favourite teachers were always those who played favourites and didn't seem to want to help. I thought that was our job - to help students succeed - but some teachers seemed annoyed that I would try to "waste" their time by asking legitimate questions.

17. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Jul 2, 2007

I had lots...

HS- my math teacher was blind in one eye, partially blind in the other, and deaf. I would be waving my hand in the air (we were not allowed out of our seats) nearly the whole class period. When he finally saw me, I would have forgotten my question. Horrible.

I had taken Russian from a VERY NICE young college professor when I was in HS. I think after reflection, she just skipped over grammar because she found it too difficult. Well, the next year, we had a Russian professor from the Ukraine. He scared the life out of me and yelled at us when we got the grammar wrong. Slammed a fist on my desk once, too, and I was a goody too shoes in HS (well, except for boys!)

College: my acting prof takes the cake. He told us we had to lower our barriers when it comes to acting. Not be afraid to SHARE. Then the convicted con in our class starts telling us about his conviction (he told us to SHARE!) and the professor corrects him.. OK. He also talked about stretching our physical boundries. He shows us an example, and basically is feeling up a female student. I was so shocked. I was pregnant at the time, too. He told us very clearly that students that weren't physically fit and pushing their bodies very hard were not going to be successful in his class. I stood up in class and basically said, "Um, well, I am pregnant, and am open to dissolving my BARRIERS, but don't expect CARTWHEELS." My husband went to the dean to make sure he (my husband) "understood" what rights pregnant women had when it came to taking an acting class... I was not about to have my unborn child disrupted by this man.

Years later, I heard he took that female student out of state with him to try to "help her make it in Hollywood" yeah, ok. He also would share his "emotions" with the class and talk about his dead wife. (Didn't find out until later, he had been a real jerk to her with cheating and stuff, and gone on to MANY relationships after her- yet he would use it to cry on cue). He was Seriously disturbing to me.

18. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2007

This is beginning to be the best thread here! It is like a soap opera.

I had a sheltered life, no teachers came on to me, no teacher flunked me for nut'n, I never had to fight for a grade (well once I did) when I flunked a class I flunked it (except the one time) when I got in trouble it was my fault. I never got the bad teachers. Was I lucky or un-lucky?

I guess I should tell How I had to fight for a grade in college. I decided to take an over load (dumb me) I ended failing 3 classes 2 I did fail (my fault) but the one I argued about, the teacher never assigned due dates it was a Graphic Arts (Printing) class we had about 10 projects during the semester. I would start a new project whenever I ran in to a bottle neck with the one I was working on, a friend did the same, we were not going to waste time waiting for equipment.

At mid term we had all our projects in progress but not finished (about 75% finished) the teacher gave us our mid term grades we both had "F s" I asked him "does my grade change when I turn in my projects?" he said "yes" I continued in the class (instead of dropping) turned in my work received a "B" or better on each one. My friend and I finished all assignments where most of the class did not finish all assignments (9 out of 10) BUT when the grades came out I had a "F" when I asked him why he said that the first half I received a "Zero" and averaged against the the other half it did not averaged to a passing grade (we found out from a TA that we had second half averages of over 90%)!

My friend and I both protested the grade and had "portfolios" to prove it (so we thought). My friend went first, to talk to the committee and his grade was raised to a "C" he told me that he told the teacher "Next year I will be here and you will not be here" when I went in I used the same arguments but because I had failed 2 other classes they passed on correcting my grade (he failed the other 2 he must have failed this one too). I did use the same line "Next year I will be here and you will not be here"
    AND guess what,
    I was and he wasn't!

I took the classes over and received "A s" in two of them and a "B" in the another

19. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2007

I think the teacher I have now is a jerk. see my post "Help my college teacher hates me!"

But I had one in undergrad who deserves a standing ovation.

I had a sat class, and she was a know-it-all. Trouble is, I knew more, and once she found out, she started call on me all the time. Then one day, she calls my house says, she will be out (mind you my kid was sick-so I was half listening) and she wants ME to run the class, and there is no quiz (sorry, I'm not coming), and I'm thinking what nerve! I'm not getting half her check. She calls back, apologizes and says she will be there, and we are having a test. I get there, and is she wasn't even there!! Wrote four boards worth of notes, and told us to study! I was so p*ssed! that class was from 9-12, every sat! I could have stayed home!!!

when it was time to do student teaching, a friend tipped me off and said she picked me. she was a principal at a local school, and technically you are not allowed to do student teaching where you worked, your kids attended, or you know somebody. I thought no way, but it was true.

The first day, she introduces me, and then takes me down the hall and says "I want you to show my teachers that lesson, on blah blah..I was shocked! I was supposed to do 16 weeks of student teaching, period. Everyone in the college of ed stressed this, no eating sleeping or breathing, let alone free work in somebody's school. I told her this, in a nice way! that did it, she was ticked off! Wouldn't let me make copies, ignored my questions, acted like a 4 year old. I ended up dropping out of school, because of this, because the staff and I couldn't get anything done right. besides, I was flat broke, and I needed money so I went back to subbing.

Later, I was trying to get my daughter to apply for a scholarship. It was for her sorority, and she was on the committee! I am certain she recogonized my name on the application, and just rejected my daughter immediately!

She was one lousy person in general!

20. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2007

I had a horrible math teachers at my university. This was a class on how to teach math in elementary school. She gave us a LOT of group problems to work on. But when we were done, she never explained them, went over the problem as a class, or showed us how it applied to teaching math in elementary school. Also, while we worked on our problem, she would hang out at this one table and talk to the girls, the WHOLE class time. Once in a while she would walk around. She hated our group that most. She would walk over, look, and then walk quickly away. Once, she gave us a quiz and there was this one problem that was absolutely foreign. Had NO clue where it came from or how to do it. Turned out NO one in my class section knew how to do it. When we asked her about it, she said that she went over the problem in the other section. Okay, so when we asked if she could take that qustion off from the test, she refused. I received my first, and only, C in college (and I took much harder math courses than that).

I also had a miserable PE teacher in junior high. My parents were too poor to buy the school's PE clothes so I just brought my own from home. The school principal said that would be fine. At the end of the first quarter, I recieved a D in PE. When my parents asked her about it, she said that it was because I did not wear appropriate PE clothes. They went to the principal about it, but my grade was never changed. I soon left for homeshool until 9th grade.

When I went back to public school, the school didn't really know what math class to place me in, so they put me in a ABC math class. It was WAY too easy for me. I was doing algabra and geometry in 8th. I asked the teacher if I could take some sort of test or something to see what kind of math class I should be placed in. He laughed and said I should just sleep in class.

I went back into homeschool.

21. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 3, 2007

I had a college teacher ask me once to sub for her. The problem was I had just graduated and started my first job and I wasn't available. No biggie. I probably wouldn't have gotten paid but I would have done it anyways. It is a class I enjoy and in this field it is who you know. Interestingly I've moved halfway across the country and one of the men who works here is her Ex! VERY small world!

22. bettyb

bettyb Companion

Jul 3, 2007

I had a history teacher ask me to grade papers for him. He never paid me anything, and was upset when I got behind on my grading.

23. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2007

well this sp. ed teacher I have for summer is really ticking me off. She tells the class we need to turn in a lesson plan. Uh, "a" lesson plan, sounds like one, right? I show her my standard, college papers, with state goals, blah blah, etc. then I show her the generic fill in the boxes, hang up in preschool one. She says it doesn't matter! What? yes it does. Which one do you want, before I start writing/typing my life away! Then somebody figures out she wants more than one, she wants a whole week! She gives us this DUH look, and says, well a lesson plan is for a week. No, a lesson plan is something for each day, a WEEKLY lesson plan is 5 days. How hard is it to explain something to somebody who doesn't know what you are talking about lady?!

she really doesn't seem to care that a good 1/3 of the class has never taught before. "Well, we have all done lesson plans, right" (NO I say to myself, remember the first day..introductions??) "Just modify your lesson plan for special ed."

You have to know how to do something before you can modify it.

This is the longest 4 weeks in my life! I don't like to second guess people, especially teachers. Say what you mean, and mean what you say. We are not psychic.

24. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2007

Throw objectives at her !

A lesson plan is something for each day with (an) objective(s), a WEEKLY lesson plan is 5 days with objectives. OR does she want an objective that will last 5 days (with pre school kids?)

25. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

Jul 4, 2007

We can learn from even the worst teachers...That said
    things that makes a bad teacher: Apathy, dislike, hatred, and fear. Nasty I know. But unfortunately we all have some level of these. Hopefully, minimal.

26. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2007

27. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

Jul 4, 2007

28. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 4, 2007

One thing I liked about my last teacher is she said, "I inherited this class from someone else. I don't know that answer but I will find out for you." Then she did. I would rather have someone just admit they don't know what they are talking about.

This woman though, for an online class, participated with the best of them. We had these online discussion forums and all she is really required to do is read them and MAYBE provide feedback but she provided a lot of interesting discussions across everyone's postings at some point in time. Many times she would research her answers and add things to back it up when many of us were just offering point blank opinions. I thought it was pretty cool that she spent as much time as she did educating us in that way when I know it wasn't required.

Irishdave....

I've only dropped one class after it started. I went to a college counselor to drop any special accomodations and to ask where I can submit a letter of complaint. She told me she wasn't supposed to show this but she had access to a "teacher reportcard" and he had an F. He didn't work any additional semesters.

29. sdzbgdr

sdzbgdr Rookie

Jul 5, 2007

I am probably a bad teacher in some places. In some schools I can teach and the students love me. In other schools I feel surrounded by intimidation from other teachers and I really do not feel comfortable teaching. In these schools the students hate me.
    I remember the in-crowd of teachers when I was a student. They really made me feel shy. As the years have gone by I realize they said a lot of really mean things in "cool" ways. I have said the same things in ways that students can understand and learn from. In some schools the students get it and accept me, but in other schools the students get it and hate me. I schools where I feel intimidated by other teachers, I really do hear the same kind of demeaning talk about students and other people. It surprises me over and over again. You can tell how much they disrespect people including students as they will tell other teachers about this or that person or student. It makes me wonder what is being said behind my back.
    I have talked about this to several teachers in schools where I feel comfortable teaching. We have said that we would like to try living in different places and gave reasons or excuses that didn't really add up. So I told them this stuff. They were surprised that I would verbalize this and have admitted they actually feel the same way and dare not teach in schools where they feel so intimidated.
    These teachers (in schools where I feel comfortable) seem like the cool in-crowd, but I never hear the put-downs from them. I do not feel like I need the thick skin. I do not feel like I have to keep wondering, "....if they are saying this or that about that person, then I wonder what they might be saying about me."
    The main thing I have noticed about the schools where I have felt uncomfortable, they have unions or something that gets them a lot more money - that was nice, but I feel like I am mostly getting paid for putting up with the attitudes and intimidation. I would rather know the subject matter and deliver it for less money in a school where I feel comfortable and can feel like a good teacher.

30. bettyb

bettyb Companion

Jul 5, 2007

Continue to teach where you feel comfortable. I taught at one school where all of the teachers genuinely liked each other and the students. (Sometimes people do use put downs in friendly ways.} Caring about the kids is what makes a school work.

31. VA2500

VA2500 Rookie

Jul 5, 2007

A bad teacher:

is a guard, not a guide
    thinks learning is a destination, not a journey.
    gives answers to those who have not yet ask the questions
    covers content, not allowing discovery of ideas
    closes issues, not opening minds
    thinks learning is remembering and reviewing

Response adapted from presentation by Dr. Lola May, a past president of NCTM.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  32. Mldouglas

Mldouglas Comrade

Jul 5, 2007

I have been waiting for this topic to come up!!

I have been very fortunate to have had the great teachers outnumber the bad teachers. I agree with a lot of the posters who have listed the bad qualities. As I was reading each post I could think of one or two of my teachers who exhibited one or more of those qualities. As a child I moved a lot. I spent some time in schools in Minnesota, Tennessee and Ohio. I can think of a bad teacher that I had in middle school, high school and a few college professors. I could go on and on about each of those experiences but it would take too long so I'll just mention my one in high school and one in college. The teacher in high school was just plain arrogant. I had him for classes in both my Junior and Senior years. The last semester of my Senior year I had him for a psychology class. All he did every day was talk about how he couldn't wait to retire that November. He also said that he really didn't want to be a teacher. I forget what he said he had originally wanted to do. The only thing that made that class bearable is the fact that my best friend was in the same class. I was sooOOOOO glad when I graduated. The other experience I will share is one I had in college. It was during my sophomore year. I was taking some kind of biology class to satisfy a general ed requirement. This guy was one of the worst professors I ever had. He was not really good about teaching the subject matter. Almost everyone was doing so horribly that he had to grade on a curve or the class would have gotten Cs, Ds and Fs. The class as a whole got together and decided that we were going to send someone to talk to the department chair. Anyway we found out that the professor was had a degree in BIOLOGY with NO TEACHING CLASSES or experience other than the college courses he taught.

Mldouglas

33. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2007

I took a class from Dr. Lola May WOW

34. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2007

Almost every Poor (I wont say bad) instructor (I wont say teacher) that have had this is the case.

35. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jul 5, 2007

sometimes when a student thinks that his or her teacher is "BAD" they are really good, but just pushing that student to his or her potential...... when they figure that out then you become the "good" teacher.

Its happened to me before, when I was the student.

36. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2007

well, I guess this is goes with bad teacher thread...

#134 Today, 12:53 PM
    Master Pre-K
    Member Join Date: May 2007
    Preschool Teacher
    are parent's just different or is it me-thread

I was let go because of parents in one job. My co teacher was with them. My principal wrote on my evaluation, "needs to be more considerate to ethnic groups." I thought, what does that mean?

I was pulled from kdg to ESL Spanish 2nd grade in the second semsester. Mind you I am not fluent or even Hispanic. I loved my kids, and they loved me! But my parents had been hating me since I had their younger kids in kindergarten. 'You are not like the other teacher'...I kept hearing.

Well, uh..I am NOT the other teacher. I was told by my principal that I needed a class in cultural diversity. When I asked for a reference letter, you know the principal actually put this in the letter!!

I got just as much culture as the next teacher. But I will not allow cousins to cheat off each others papers, and I will question kids who are absent because they had to stay home with mom and new baby.

sigh...

I got the ax for asking too many questions!
    Parents had a lynching party and told me in Spanish I was not like them! Yes, they were telling me this in Spanish, I understood them, and they are still mad at me!

I can't be them..
    I am me!!
    me nombre es - master pre-K

37. ambritlit

ambritlit Companion

Aug 2, 2007

When I was growing up, my parents said "She may not always be right, but she'll always be the teacher." (Basically just suck it up.) So that's how I thought it should be when my kids went to school.

However, my son had a fifth grade teacher who was the worst ever. She could not stand him. He wasn't a bad kid, but he would try to make others laugh and she didn't like it. Unfortunately, his fourth grade teacher thought he was the funniest kid ever, so he was shocked when 5th gr teacher jumped on him. We talked to her several times, like open houses, etc. and let her know that we were willing to work together with a discipline plan if we only knew what was going on - but she never contacted us. Instead she just picked, picked, picked all year. My thinking was either come down on him and let's take care of it or shut up about - don't just nag. She talked about him to all the other teachers so he had a reputation for the next two years (it was a small private school). I actually had other kids confirm that my son got blamed for any disruption, whether he was involved or not. He would get in the car crying sometimes, just so frustrated. Looking back, I feel guilty that I let this go on for as long as it did. I just didn't know what to do. We finally switched schools in the middle of 7th grade and it was like getting our son back. He absolutely blossomed in the new school. He's a good kid, very involved at school, etc. I truly believe he was being set up for failure at the old school.

38. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2007

parents who are teachers can become any teacher's worse nightmare. We know more and sometimes therefore we expect more!

I can't wait until I have grandchildren. I will sit, listen, and try to see what type of garbage they throw at my daughter and (son-in-law to be!) Then, I will let them handle it, and when I think they need help, I will jump in, and I will be the worst grandma they every saw! A teacher grandma!!!

39. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2007

I remember one conference I had to go to, first I had to drive 180 miles. My son was ADHD and ODD but the school was not able to handel it.

At one point, it was stated that the SS teacher had kept my son in at lunch and he had missed lunch (you just don't "Not Feed" an ADHD child, detention was ok just let him eat) she replied was "well I had some cake that he ate" well I then told them I was a middle school teacher (up to that point I was "Just" the father from Yuma) and I said "where is the 504 plan" they produced it after a couple of minutes it was incomplete with out my ex's signature. I then stood up (dramatically) look at the SS teacher and said I remember from my history classes that the last one who said 'let them eat cake' lost her head! I expect that you (the Principal) to have a viable plan that we can sign and help you with, ..... ....... ..... or I will contact a lawyer and as you know Federal funds (for the whole district) can get tied up with an action like that" he took a dislike to me I think.
    Now I can't wait for my granddaughter to get school age. just like Master Pre-K:hugs: :rofl: :toofunny:

40. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2007

I had two horrible teachers. One in 4th grade I got a teacher my brother had had for K, in another district. She knew who I was and announced to the class I was to stupid to be there and my brother was a retard. (ADD) She was the one that made my brother sit INSIDE a refridgerator box becuase he distracted the class. Well anyway not only did she send me to the office to be spanked every time I didn't get my math homework done, she also started to put me in a corner in the hall......it got the point I sat there ALL DAY, lunch recess.....well I lived across the street from school, guess who would break out and go home?? NO ONE knew I was done.....until 3 months later my mom came home sick from work.....lets just say I got into trouble, I am 35 years old and still grounded! :D

In high school I had an Algebra II teacher that was actually a LIterature teacher, but was teaching math (more money, friends with the big guy) and he would make us write paragraphs to justify each step we took in doing a story problem Well math is a weak piont for me, and I couldn't make my mind do that. I made it 6 weeks before he made me stand in front of the class told everyone I was too stupid to be in his class and I was to get out and not go back. I took Sociology instead. The next year I signed up for the class again, who did I get.....yeah you guessed it, buthead boy. That time I made it THREE weeks into the class before he kicked me out. Mind you I had the support of my Algebra I teacher, but there was only so much he could do. Eventually my best friends parents and others worked together to get him fired, mind you HE WAS NOT CERTIFIED FOR ADVANCED MATH! His cert said lower math only! SO the guy who was certified for the upper level classes did not teach them.......

I did find some wonderful teachers though. The Sociology teacher helped me so much, see I was THE most hated girl in school. I don't know why, I just was. I was even voted onto the homecoming court, so they could throw rotten food at me, the principal stopped that one. Well the kids in the class treated me so bad, and he protected me, gave me the best job in the mock trial, in the civilzation game he did he kept me frome being humliated when my own team tried to kill off my tribe, he helped me form my own and kill them all!

Bad teacher--someone who makes judgements, who cannot see outside of themselves and don't care about students

Good teacher -- someone who cares, goes out of their way to show they student they care, and makes life bareable for them. IF It wasn't for that teacher in High School, well lets just say, I wouldn't have made it, he saw the talent in me, my gift for understanding history and how it all connects, and he encouraged it. His friend the english teacher did the same thing for me. THey helped me take their classes over and over those last two years, and for those hours during the day I was safe, I wasn't safe anywhere else, but I was safe there.......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.