What major themes from the 70s should I teach?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Doug_HSTeach_07, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Oct 23, 2007

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, especially since I did not get the privilege of living in this time :)

I was born in 1985 so I could use some advice from the experts. What should kids know from the 70s?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2007

Well, of course, there's Vietnam.

Detante-- the very first glimmers of the end to the Cold War. Likewise Nixon's trip to China.

Henry Kissenger and all things foreign policy.

Watergate and our very first president to ever resign.(Incredibly compelling drama... the Saturday Night Massacre in particular. Plus the idea that this could happen and have an absolutely blood free transfer of power...pretty remarkable.)

Our first non-elected president.

Double Digit Inflation and the financial implications for millions of Americans.

4. gr8_life

gr8_life Companion

Nov 4, 2007

PEACE, LOVE and BOBBY SHERMAN! LOL! :up:

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 4, 2007

The Kent State massacre, Woodstock, social activist music (Dylan, Baez), sit-ins as form of protest, draft dodgers, conscientious objectors, and the class of cultures between the post-war (WWII and Korean) parents living an Ozzie and Harriet existence and the shock of the attack upon that lifestyle.

6. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Nov 4, 2007

Have you seen the ESPN special on THE BRONX IS Burning. It might be interesting to view even though it centers around the NY Yankees and The Season of 1977.Of course you could analyze the Vietnam War and possibly relate it to the war in Iraq today.Watergate and the Nixon resignation is a must,and perhaps you can compare it to the Bush Administration today.Should impeachment proceedings be brought against Bush for his decisions in Iraq.?

7. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Nov 4, 2007

Lots of great music.

8. jcizman

jcizman Rookie

Nov 5, 2007

jcizman

President Carter affords many opportunities, especially with his currently released film and book as supportive materials. I begin the unit by describing his defeat to Reagan in one of the largest landslides ever and ask the question, "Why was Carter denied a second term?" (The students find amusing that when Carter called to concede to Reagan the latter was in the shower and answered the phone draped only in a towel.) Carter was a moral, plain spoken individual, a peanut farmer raised in a small Georgia town. (Should he have worn a sweater instead of a suit and tie when addressing the nation?) Was the job "too much" for him? (And did he win because Ford had pardoned Nixon?) Then we dealve into the chronology of events including the fuel crisis, the Iranian hostage crisis and his decision to invoke the term, "American malaise" that would later provide a stark contrast to Reagan's optimism. Carter strongly believed he deserved a second term. What did he perceive to be his strengths?

Nixon provides so many opportunities including his foreign policy achievements (detente) and economic policies that included the controversial decision to impose "price controls".

The fuel crisis was real. I have the students imagine there not being sufficient gas to fuel one to work. That happened to me one day as all of the gas stations were closed. Then they instituted the policy of having certain license plate numbers entitled to gas purchases on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and others on alternate days with Sunday a "free for all" although few stations were open then.

Good luck.

9. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Nov 5, 2007

The major question you might discuss with the students is how someone as incompetent as Carter would even be nominated for a second term.

10. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Nov 5, 2007

Looks like I need to do some research. I could be more knowledgeable with detente, Kissinger, and the Carter administration! Thanks everyone for your advice!

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2007

Let's not forget the Son of Sam, at least for those of us in the NYC area. That was one scary summer!!!

12. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 5, 2007

Although the My Lai Massacre happened in 1968, the trials took place in the 1970's. It might be interesting to compare this incident to current (alleged) situations with Blackwater and the military.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2007

I did a GOOD part of my college coursework waiting in gas lines!!!

Let's not forget the "Patty Hearst: was she brainwashed or not?" debate.

14. MtotheC

MtotheC Rookie

Nov 11, 2007

I know I'm a few days late on this one, but what about all of the great feminist literature and feminist movement of the 70s? Maybe it's the girl in me, but I was so into the 20th century feminist writers when I was in HS.