What major is better for a 3rd grade teacher? Childhood or elementary education

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ChrisC, Jan 22, 2015.

1. ChrisC

ChrisC New Member

Jan 22, 2015

Hello everyone,
    I am currently majoring in early childhood education and want to become a 3rd grade teacher. I want to know from other personal experiences and opinions if majoring in early childhood education courses or elementary courses is better suited for teaching 3rd grade. My school offers elementary education classes with an emphasis in math which I like that it emphasis on math concepts for children, but in your opinion what do you think is a better major or education to take for a 3rd grade teacher. I appreciate any answers.

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 22, 2015

Third graders in Texas must do three and four step math problems, distributive property, and setting up proportion problems. If you want to teach third, take the degree plan that has more academics.

4. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jan 22, 2015

3rd is at the very high end of ECE -- most of EC focuses on child development rather than academics, since the majority of it is pre-elementary school.

If you know you want to teach 3rd, I'd say switch to elementary. I started out in EC, did 2 years of it, and I don't remember learning ANY content area stuff other than very basic math. El. Ed will prepare you better for the required academic subjects in 3rd grade -- especially math and reading.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 22, 2015

Let's say you can't get 3rd grade. Would you rather end up younger, or older? That will probably help you answer.

6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jan 22, 2015

I agree with this.

Although, regardless of your answer, if we're strictly talking about a third grade position, I'd say elementary is the best bet. Of the third grade classrooms I've known in recent years, having a background in early childhood wouldn't be the least bit helpful in any of them, aside from making you technically certified to teach it. Can I respectfully ask why you're set on third grade? Not that there is anything wrong with having a preference... I really enjoyed third grade myself. I'm just worried that, with the job market as it is in many areas, you may have difficulty finding a position in the exact grade you desire.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2015

I would favor elementary, since in most states that would encompass K-6. Many teachers start in one grade and then move around, a little up or a little down.

8. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Jan 22, 2015

In New York at least, early childhood is birth-2 and childhood is 1-6 so childhood would provide more of what you need for 3rd grade - as others have said, primarily more focus on content - and more of a range of grades you can teach in case you can't get right into 3rd grade. Other states might not break them down exactly like that, but I think it would be pretty similar.

9. ChrisC

ChrisC New Member

Jan 22, 2015

Going into college I've always wanted to teach 3rd graders besides the ability to work with young children but the curriculum that 3rd grade teachers do. What geared me to majoring to early childhood is working with children and teaching elementary content. I can see from everyone elementary education is a better suit and education to take. Most of my courses focus on child development which I like but was unsure if I will benefit more from an elementary major as a 3rd grade teacher.

10. MrsJay

MrsJay Rookie

Jan 22, 2015

Most teachers don't get to choose the grade they teach. Principals try to get a sense of if you are better fit for primary or upper grades and then you just get assigned a grade. Don't get your heart set on 3rd grade because there's a strong chance it might not happen.

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 22, 2015

I appreciate your dedication to 3rd grade...but realize that you are severely limiting, if not eliminating yourself from most job postings. Most will say "elementary teacher" not "3rd grade teacher". Also, there is a strong possibility that even if you do land a 3rd grade position, you could be moved.