What made you become a teacher?

Discussion in 'High School' started by ChemTeacher89, Feb 23, 2009.

1. ChemTeacher89

ChemTeacher89 New Member

Feb 23, 2009

Hi, I am new to A to Z teacher stuff, actually I'm new to the idea of teaching. My parents are teachers 2 of 3 sisters are teachers, and one brother in law is a teacher, as well as my girlfriend is in school to be a middle school teacher so i'm not new to education. Over the past several years i have been dedicated to becoming a pharmacist but lately i have found i'm not happy doing this and that teaching is my true calling. I realize teaching brings in a much lower salary and the fact that that doesn't bother me makes me think that I really do want to do it. Can anyone tell me why they became a teacher and what made them realize that teaching was their calling?

3. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Feb 23, 2009

Hi--and welcome. I am like you and come from a family of teachers. My mom, uncle, and 2 cousins are all teachers. I graduated from school with a degree in food science and did not know what to do with it. I had a young baby at the time and taught for one year but quit because I had 2 more children in the next couple of years. I was not going to go back into teaching but after working many long hours as a real estate agent and paralegal, I decided to go back into education. I got an alternative certification in biology, chemistry, and physics and love teaching. I swore I would never teach when I was younger. My daughter swore the same thing and she is getting a degree in elementary education and already has a fellowship for the semester after she student teaches.

4. MrsOrion

MrsOrion Rookie

Mar 2, 2009

My fellow classmates made me want to become a teacher. =)

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 2, 2009

I've wanted to teach since I was in second grade.

( That would be the LBJ administration, for those of you keeping track :) )

6. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Mar 2, 2009

Hi and Welcome, CT. :)

I'm kind of like you - a career-changer. My son has special needs and I went to observe his "kindergarten" room five years ago and found that I didn't want to leave. My husband thought I was nuts because he DID want to leave.

I ended up going back to college for a special ed degree at age 37 and just landed my first job last fall at age 40. I love it. But I am finding out that it's a lot different than I thought it would be. I didn't realize that it's kind of political, and you have to help the school "community." I thought you just stayed in your room with your kids all day! Ha.

7. Bubblehead

Bubblehead Rookie

Mar 8, 2009

Becoming a teacher

I think must have been Karma. It is all I have ever wanted to do and I still enjoy every minute of every day...except that is when we have inspections, long, drawn out staff meetings, endless faculty meetings, paperwork, schemes of work, planning...

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 8, 2009

I have wanted to teach since 1st grade.
    (Alice... that would be the EISENHOWER administration :cool:)

9. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Mar 16, 2009

It's a form of Self-Actualization

Well, I also thought I would never be a teacher until recently.

I got a masters' in international relations and an MBA, so naturally, I worked in international business, including stints in East Asia. Came back to the States and got sick of the corporate life, especially after getting laid off 3 times in 7 years. There just wasn't a lot of satisfaction - kind of a take it or leave thing, and I didn't have any particular love for a particular or specific industry or technology.

A friend of mine suggested I try out substitute teaching. So I tried it, and although it can be rough for the newcomer, found I liked it. So now I am studying for my credential.

In reference to Maslow's hierarchy of needs, teaching for me is a form of self-actualization, to satisfy my need to have a stage to perform. I found that I liked standing in front of people and talking - joined Toastmasters and got really involved with that; at work I liked making presentations to people. I thought back on what I liked to do - much of it had a performance aspect to it - such as being in marching band, singing, karaoke, speaking to people, and loving to share my knowledge of things. I am a big trivia fan and love Jeopardy! (the show).

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 16, 2009

(chuckling)

Deft connection to Maslow, JackTrader. I'm guessing you did fine - and probably quite nicely - on CSET Social Science.

11. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Mar 16, 2009

Thank you very much, but I'm still pretty concerned about my scores on the CSET (a little off topic) - learned about Maslow in my educational psychology course.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 16, 2009

Ah, but people who make connections like that from the book learning to themselves generally also make connections across the disciplines and can use what they know in another area to work out an adequate answer to the question they don't actually know. Even better, they can model the knack for their students.

13. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Mar 18, 2009

My mom and aunt were teachers, my grandma a teacher's aide. I RAN from the idea-everyone thought I was going to become one because mom was. I went to college after hs and changed my major every year for 3 1/2 years, finally in my last year I picked international relations and got out in 5 years...worked for almost one year-chose to go back to get OUT of the job I was in, tried to go education (I fought it all the way but it kept coming back around to go for it) found out it would take me 4 yrs and said heck no, got a social science degree..that's 2 bachelors..and went out into the world..this was 2001. I woke up, literally one day in Jan. 2003 said I'm gonna go get my masters in education because I knew I'd need it-decided to do alternative licensure..finished that in May 06-started subbing around 04..did not get the job I have now, my first teaching job until oct. 2007 where I am finishing up my 2nd masters-to get certified in the state of ky.

I fought and fought the idea of teaching..yet when I was younger I played school..I was 'caught' as a youngester..age 2..that would be the ending years of Jimmy Carter's admin...showing my classmates how to count using markers lined up along the chalkboard. Guess it was 'destiny'

14. mcmileski

mcmileski New Member

Mar 25, 2009

Why Teach?

I went into teaching for two reasons: First I enjoy learning, and second, I could see where all my former teachers made mistakes. I remember sitting in my classes when a teacher would do something like play a book on tape for 2 weeks in a row and just shake my head thinking "I guess you want all the students to sleep through this class." The only bad thing is that as soon as I do something wrong I remember a former teacher doing it, and how unsuccessful it was.

Since I've been teaching, I think my reasons have gotten better, such as enjoying teaching different people and hearing some of the hilarious things students think up.

15. kilgore_trout

kilgore_trout Rookie

Mar 27, 2009

I love people, I love helping people, and I get angry about the social stratification I see in the communitites I've lived in. So--if I can help even one person speak up for her/his situation eloquently and meaningfully in a way that creates change, I might possibly allay some of that anger.

Interacting with and learning from my students keeps my writing alive, both because explaining the writing process helps me hone my own skills and because my students are such a rich mine of character inspirations :)

Teenagers are much more tolerable to me than adults. They tend not to be as sure that they have all the answers to everything in life (even if they pretend to); working with teenagers has cured me of my misanthropy.

In what other job can I use my line-cooking/telemarketing/bartending/hospice-working/construction/picture-framing/shelter-volunteering/welding experience nearly every day? Usually all at once?

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2009

My new best friend!!

17. english_bulldog

english_bulldog Rookie

May 11, 2009

My parents are both teachers, but I didn't start out wanting to be one. In all actuality, I wanted anything but. I saw how stressed out they were all the time, and I knew I wanted nothing to do with the profession. In college, I started out as a psych major and intended to go into forensics. When I started looking for work, though, I found that tutoring was the only work I could find that would work with my course load. By my second year of college, I had fallen in love with education, changed my major to English, and now I am going to be starting with my first position in August.

18. Miles

Miles New Member

May 30, 2009

It seemed like the right move for a stand up comedian with three kids and a degree in English. Really it was my only move.

19. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 30, 2009

I decided in Jr High I wanted to be a history teacher. I had the coolest English and Texas History teachers. I loved school and the idea of being in school all the time sounded great. Never looked back, started out as secondary social studies and finished up that way :)

BTW - Ford was president when I was in jr high

20. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 31, 2009

Being a teacher is all I ever wanted to do. My job right now looks completely different from what I envisioned, but I can't imagine doing anything else!

21. ANGRY AL

ANGRY AL Companion

May 31, 2009

I ask myself that every morning. (LOL) But then, June, July, and August roll around and I'm reminded.

22. Petite_Teacher

Petite_Teacher Companion

Jun 9, 2009

I decided to that I wanted to transition from Journalism to become an English Teacher so I could teach a subject that I love while making a difference in the lives of students. I want to inspire students to appreciate the art of writing along with the knowledge reading can bring.