What looks better? A masters degree or experience?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by puff5655, May 7, 2007.

1. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

May 7, 2007

If I can't get a job right out of college with my bachelors (which I doubt I will- its SUPER competitive here in Western New York- and I really want a job in Prek or K, and in the city of Buffalo) I have three options..

I could go to Boulder, CO for this REALLY good Masters/internship program that takes a year and they pay for half of the credits. I would be working 20 hours a week at a very good Kindergarten alongside a "mentor" teacher from August 08-August 09 while attending classes.

My second option is to get a teaching job elsewhere, and rack up some experience over one or two years before coming back to look for a job.

The third, and I think my most preferable (since I REALLY dont want to leave the area.. I LOVE it here in Buffalo and I would get really homesick if I left even for a short time!!) would be to work at a Head Start or another day care program, which aren't as hard to get jobs at with a bachelors. I'm not sure how public schools would look at that though. It seems like they think of things like that as totally different, like babysitting. Do they??

3. meatball77

meatball77 Comrade

May 7, 2007

Experience hands down.

What I'd do if I were you is go someplace you can get a job and work on your masters online. I did mine at Grand Canyon University and it was very managable when working full time and the cost wasn't too much.

As for working day care, unless you're early childhood I don't think that would help you much. It could potentially make an employer say "she's been teaching three year olds can she really handle middle schoolers?" It could also say to them "she's committed to being a teacher"

4. KinderKatie

KinderKatie Companion

May 7, 2007

I think the internship program sounds really great! You would be getting experience and a masters at the same time. Plus it sounds like a unique program and potential employers will like the different experience. That being said, if you think you will be unhappy away from home then don't go. It won't be worth it. The same goes for your 2nd option of moving away to get a teaching job elsewhere. Unless it is within an hour or so away and you could still live at home.

Your third option is also good. I don't think people will consider it babysitting. Those programs are curriculum based as well and if you are looking for pre-k experience, you will be getting it. Perhaps you could work on your master's at the same time- since you work load will be lighter.

Good luck!

5. Gwen

Gwen Companion

May 7, 2007

Do you need the MA to teach in NY? How about subbing. To be honest that is probably the best way to get into a district in your area.

I did a MA program like the one you decribed. It was a great experience and I did feel prepared when I started teaching. If your not into the subbing or just can't for some reason then I say go for the MA program.

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 7, 2007

I would go with the masters degree program were you will be working with a mentor teacher. but I think you best bet would to be to ask different principals what they find more valuable.

7. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

May 8, 2007

I think I'm in agreement for the program that gives you both...the educational training and the experience.

8. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

May 8, 2007

What do you want your MS in? ECE? SPED?

9. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

May 8, 2007

I am actually Early Childhood- I want to teach prek or K

I don't believe a masters is required going in, I think theres something about having to have it in 5 years after starting teaching. Even if it's not required, I want to get one. I'm not sure how I feel yet about online classes, I'll have to look into them. If I did stay in the area though there are a lot of affordable colleges around here that offer masters degrees in ECE.

I'm not sure subbing jobs are available around here either. My aunt used to do it, and she had to drive 30-40 minutes for each day she subbed (which was about one day a week).

I've decided Head Start wouldn't be a good plan either.. I just found out that they don't give references and aren't allowed to!

10. JenL

JenL Comrade

May 8, 2007

Tough question!
    Definitely check with principals you know because I think every area is different.
    I would do the masters program because teaching experience is also offered.
    I know around here a masters gets you paid more but it doesn't necessary add anything to your resume. Prinicpals want to see experience. They want to know you can do what they are asking you to do....masters degrees do not always do that.

11. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

May 8, 2007

You can sub in Buffalo and make a living (or so I'm told, I don't do it), especially if you're willing to sub in Buffalo Public and not restrict yourself to only ECE classrooms. If you only sub suburban, I'm not sure how regularly you'd get called. I'm consistently in city schools that are under-staffed for subs though, so public definitely needs them.

12. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

May 23, 2007

Buffalo Public is where I want to teach, but I'm only certified through 2nd grade, and really want a steady job.

13. straar50

straar50 New Member

Apr 9, 2013

Substitute Teach

I am a recent temp teacher in the city of Buffalo. Just interviewed for a permanent position :). I absolutely love it. I suggest you fill out an app, go to teacher recruitment days. Just to get your foot in the door. You can't really get permanency without the subbing experience.

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 9, 2013

It's strange to see an old thread with Ellen A.

I didn't notice the date until I saw that.

15. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Apr 10, 2013

What happened to her?

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 10, 2013

17. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Apr 10, 2013

18. frtrd

frtrd Rookie

Apr 10, 2013

Do you mind my asking what program this is in Boulder?

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 10, 2013

frtrd, the thread was launched almost six years ago, and as czacza has noted, the river has definitely moved on; whether the program about which puff5655 was asking is even still around, I don't know.

20. frtrd

frtrd Rookie

Apr 10, 2013

Oopsies! Didn't look at the dates! :whistle: