What locations are best to look for a teaching job?

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by ncgirl, Feb 5, 2005.

1. ncgirl

ncgirl New Member

Feb 5, 2005

I am currently attending a community college in North Carolina. I plan on transfering to a local university to get my BA in Elementary Education. I was reading some other posts and one lady mentioned that for every postion open, there were 300+ applicants. This sounds a little discouraging! I want to stay in NC, or possibly SC. I would love to hear from some of you from other states and what the outlook is like there teaching. I'm just a little worried about the outlook when it comes time for me to start looking! Thanks, look forward to hearing from "somebody"! :p

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Feb 5, 2005

I am from Massachusetts and I have heard for several years now how tough it is to find teaching jobs. However, I have also heard that they are trying to push older teachers to retire earlier because some (not all!) are extremely set in their ways and refuse to learn the new "in" methods that school systems are starting to really push for. I also have heard about several people who have been offered positions at the school they do their student teaching at. As it is, at the school I am at, I have already heard of one 5th grade teacher leaving after this year to go back to teaching middle school. Like I said, I have heard horror stories about how awful it is, but I've also heard very good things that make me optomistic!

4. ncgirl

ncgirl New Member

Feb 5, 2005

I read another post about age affecting chance of being hired. I will be 40 when I'm finished with school. Do you think, by what you've been around that this will affect being hired as well! Thanks!

5. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Feb 5, 2005

I don't think so. I think that any principal that is looking for great new teachers is going to look for someone who is enthusiastic, has great ideas, and is qualified for the position...I would hope that someone's age wouldn't be a factor. I took all of my methods courses last semester and more than half of the girls that were in my classes (there were 22 of us) were 35 or older. There was only about five or six of us that were 22/23 years old. I think that a good majority of people that decide to be teachers have another career first and that, of course, does NOT make them less desirable as a teacher by any means!! :)

6. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Feb 5, 2005

NOT Ohio.

7. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

Feb 5, 2005

shortage of several teachers in AR

8. Ms Linda

Ms Linda Rookie

Feb 6, 2005

NY City is looking but not New York State

9. MACUSER

MACUSER New Member

Feb 6, 2005

TX is a Teacher shortage area

TX will be short 16,000 teachers in the upcoming school year. We have teacher loan forgiveness of up to $5000 for highly needed content areas.

10. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Feb 6, 2005

Like Ms Linda NYC always need teachers. My friend is teaching in Harlem, she got the job through NY Fellowship. My other friend works in the office of Teach for America in NYC. There is always a big turnover and a desperate need for teachers

11. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Feb 7, 2005

Arizona and Floridia. I have also heard Virginina and North Carolina.

12. chaencej

chaencej Rookie

Feb 7, 2005

Florida, in the county that I live in alone we are opening 9 new schools next year, plus we are mandating Universal Pre-K in the state. I live in Lee County and they are hiring thousands of teachers starting in April. We to have a loan forgiveness program for the state, and the federal government has one as well for areas of need.

13. litlmama

litlmama Comrade

Feb 9, 2005

There's little here in California.

14. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Feb 9, 2005

Tell me you are kidding! I'm from WV and North Carolina visits here BEGGING for people to move there! The recruiter told me a few months ago that the state would be hiring thousands of new teachers. Beaufort County, Gaston County, several others I can't remember were desperate for teachers! That is shocking that you are worried and in NC! In fact, he said he goes as far west as Utah recruiting teachers for NC! Check around, there is a teaching crisis in most parts of the state. (according to the recruiters)

15. jcr147

jcr147 New Member

Feb 17, 2005

Florida!!!!

I am a first year teacher in Brevard county, Florida. They are in desperate need of teachers. They were in need of over 600 teachers at the beginning of the 2004 school year. I was actually hired at the first school I interviewed at and I was certified by means of alternative certification, which basically means by degree is not in education.

16. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Feb 17, 2005

Illinois is hurting for teachers. Chances are really good in Chicago and even some 'burbs farther north of the city like North Chicago, Waukegan, Zion, Round Lake. In fact, Vernon Hills built a nice new high school a few years ago and is looking at building a nice new elementary school soon and will be hiring 'x' amount of teachers to teach there.

17. MJH

MJH Companion

Feb 17, 2005

Tn

Here in TN both Memphis and Nashville are hiring teachers. Memphis last year alone hired around 600 new teachers and I don't think all positions have been filled. Here it is February and Memphis is still hiring teachers.

I also taught in Lousiana and they are always in need of teachers.

18. tmeldred

tmeldred Rookie

Feb 18, 2005

I just wanted to say that I recently graduated.. from UNCG in May 04. I found a teaching job in Raleigh by the end of June. My fiance then got a job in SC... I was able to quit my job there and find a job here within days. You have to be persistant. Send them your resume via e mail and paper version (it costs $.60 to e mail a cover letter, resume, and references. I continued getting job calls for both states even after I moved.... Be aware that transferring a license across state lines can be a pain.. But it all worked out and I am happy where I am at :)
    Good luck!

19. ncgirl

ncgirl New Member

Feb 18, 2005

I just wanted to thank everybody for such informative and thoughtful responses. It's nice to still be getting some feedback. I am getting interesting ideas. Thank you very much, I'll be looking for more!! I truly appreciate the interest and time from those that have responded!

20. acorn

acorn New Member

Feb 21, 2005

I am also interested in teaching in NC. I have held aide jobs in California and New Mexico. From what I have experienced in California, it helps to know someone or to be willing to compromise where you want to live. Once I was in with a district in Northern California they considered keeping me as an intern while I completed my Secondary Licensure. However, I wanted more experience in the mainstream public school system and ended up in NM. There is not a lot of money, but the cost of living is lower (than NC or CA), it also helps if you are fluent in Spanish (I am not). I am completing a Licensure in Special Education; I like working with "at-risk" youth.

My partner is from NC and a graduate of ASU. We're considering moving there when we complete our graduate work. I've contacted the NC Department of Public Instruction and received a recommendation to contact the following: to submit an NC application for educators--- http://schooljobs.dpi.state.nc.us; or register with the recruiting system---- www.teachers-teachers.com

I hope these are of help. Good luck.

21. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Mar 2, 2005

I believe in California, opportunities are good in the poorer districts, but not very good in the better districts.
    I applied for a 4th grade opening that recently appeared at an upper middle class suburban district where I am a substitute, although it is a small district with few jobs offered to me. They immediately rejected my application, although I recently obtained my preliminary credential.
    Conversely, I attented a recruitment fair for a poverty stricken school district, and they offerd me a contract on the spot. I will hold out for something better though, which might be a mistake. I am gambling because it is still early.

22. emmi

emmi Rookie

May 2, 2005

First year teaching

Well, if nothing good pans out, you can always look at parocial schools. I live in North Dakota, and the need for teachers is low. Population is low here.
    Anyways, I took a job this year at a parocial school. The pay is bad, but at least I am getting an experience at teaching. It is not ideal, but I'm still teaching. Something for you to think about.

23. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 2, 2005

When I went to a job fair a few years ago it seems like the southern states were in dire need. But the start pay in southern states is a little lower on average than northern states. I know Michigan is laying off teachers with our economy soooo bad!!!!

24. kinderteacher1

kinderteacher1 Rookie

May 2, 2005

I work in Hillsborough County Florida and they really need teachers! They hired over 1500 last summer and still didn't fill all the jobs. The pay I'm sure is less then northern states but I don't think it's too bad for the price of living here. You start off at 31,500.

25. wordy

wordy Rookie

May 2, 2005

I had an interesting conversation today, as our distrcit can't negotiate a contract. The board has indicated that they would rather "get rid of" all the older teachers and hire new ones (less money). Almost every school district in our area is having similar negotiation problems. While this is obviously not a good thing for the verteran teachers here, it bodes well for new teachers. The fact is, districts are looking to cut costs. They can offer early retirement and provide sign-on bonuses to new teachers; and still be saving money. If the northeast is any indication, this is a trend and job searches may soon be easier for new teachers.

26. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

May 2, 2005

all I can say is, if you're relocatable, do NOT look for a job in new jersey. I applied to jobs in the paper, I applied to jobs in districts I'd subbed for (and the teachers loved me--they would request me to sub.) I sent in a resume, cover letter and copy of transcripts cold to every single district within a 50 mile radius (It was over 60 districts but I forget exactly how many.) At one interview, they told me they'd had 274 applicants for one position. And it was listed in the paper for one day only. It's really hard to get a job around here, at least in elem ed. I don't know about others.

27. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

May 4, 2005

Very tough market in Southern California

I have been to three job fairs so far in Southern California, but it is very difficult to get a job unless you are in Special education, or have a Math or Science Single Subject Credential.
    I have had three interviews that all went very well, yet I was later rejected for all three. Two of the rejections came today. One I discovered five minutes ago on my e-mail.
    There are thousands of Multiple Subject candidates looking for work, but only a few openings. It is very frustrating.
    Maybe I should have taken the job in the poverty district. But iIexprienced a great conflict of interest because I do not want to teach mostly illegal aliens, and illegals make up a large number of students in the district I turned down. I feel I have a moral obligation not to teach the children of law breakers that will be competing for future jobs against legal citizens.

Considering I only make about $12,000 a year as a sub, even a low paying parochial school sounds like a good option. One of my concerns, however, is that I know very little about religion. I have great respect for religious individuals, but since I am not religious, I do not believe I could be hired for such a job. I am certainly not qualified to teach religion.
    Any suggestions?

28. wacomac

wacomac Rookie

Jun 5, 2005

Texas has lots of openings. We have lots of growth. From the south and from the north...
    I just hired a teacher with 4 years of experience from North Carolina. She stated she is getting a "HUGE" raise coming to Texas. I am hiring a choir director from Mississippi. His wife is going to work in our high school. They too stated our salaries were so much better than where they are coming from. Come and take a look. The choral folks just took a vacation to Texas and interviewed while they were here. (they also can charge off the trip on their taxes) A good website for checking out some of the jobs in Texas is: www.tasanet.org look under the Career Opp link. :angel:

29. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Jun 5, 2005

I was told that Pa. produces more teachers than we have jobs for.

30. sss0226

sss0226 New Member

Jun 5, 2005

I think teachers should be willing to teach children - PERIOD. District officials and interviewers can sense when your heart is or is not in the actual job. Refusing to teach the children of parents who "break the law" (to get a better life for their children, no doubt) says a lot about your attitude toward children in general. Suggestion: move out of Southern California if those are your hard-held beliefs.

31. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Jun 5, 2005

In case you haven't heard it enough Florida needs teachers. OH and I love the name scarlet that is my absolutly my favorite song.

32. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jun 5, 2005

scarlet - i am in nj too and looking for a new job. i have sent out about 30 resumes and only heard from one. the district i live in advertised for an elementary position and supposdly they recieved over 1,000 applications for the one position....crazy!
    i went out of state for college and that it was a pain doing all the paperwork for nj when i moved home...no one knew what they were talking about and took almost 2 years to get my license to teach.

good luck everyone!

33. MisterG

MisterG Comrade

Jun 6, 2005

Check out the college you attend. Mine had a careers office and they had lots of advice on resumes..etc. Their website also has lots of links to various websites that posted openings for teachers. If you want a job...apply to Vegas and youll get it. Thats what I did. Currently applying elsewhere so I can get out of the barren desert and go home or in that general direction.
    OldStudent...youd be surprised to find that many parochial schools dont really do much with religion anyways. I attended one from K-6 and we never did. Just went to mass every day.

34. TeachGrd1

TeachGrd1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2005

Missouri is also an area where the market is extremely tight. One of the schools mentioned they had 500 applicants for one position. That was a school in the south towards the country, so you can only imagine what it's like in the suburbs. Hazelwood District (just outside of St. Louis) said that last year they got a total of 17,000 applicants and most were elementary education. With that being said, it is still possible to get a job. I just graduated in May and I got hired a week later to teach in a district that was one of my top choices. The key is to be persistent, don't let them forget about you and let your enthusiasm shine! I would suggest applying in the areas that you will be happy in. Do your best and hopefully you will get hired on in an area where you really want to be.

35. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Jun 6, 2005

Irissa- thnx--I'm a deadhead from waaay back, now i love sublime too, so the name does double duty!

amk--I worked in daycare centers for years before I got my job. There's a lot of issues where I work, but I just can't afford to go back to daycares! Good luck to you! Have you tried applying to abbot districts? I've heard some abbot districts may be eliminated (I'm in south jersey--millville, pemberton, and gloucester are the towns being parried about) but some will be sticking around. And since you can only have 15 preschoolers in a class, it creates a lot of jobs.

Good luck to everyone!