What level of degree is required to teach in your state?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by hp123, Feb 15, 2010.

1. hp123

hp123 Comrade

Feb 15, 2010

I'm wondering what level of college degree is required in your state?

Example: If I graduate with a bachelors in Social Studies Education (7-12), is that enough to teach in your state? Or would I need a Masters?

Thanks!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2010

In NJ, the info is available online but for the most part, a minimum of a bachelors degree is required, having completed a related course of study from an accredited college or university (there's minimum GPA requirements of 2.75 out of 4.0 but districts in NJ are highly discriminating and may not even look at candidate with low GPAs regardless of state credentialling) and have a minimum score on the required Praxis exams...There are 2 kinds of certifications: Certification of Eligibility and Certificate with Advanced Standing...the Advanced Standing is the preferred certificate (districts are competitive and discriminating...NJ is a tough market).

4. hp123

hp123 Comrade

Feb 15, 2010

What is required for the certificate of advanced standing? An advanced degree?

Can you get permanent certfication with just a bachelors?

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2010

Oops...there's also a 'standard' certificate (which is also preferable!)...I think 'new' teachers get the CE or CEAS-once hired they must be mentored for a year, some other requirements must be met before getting their 'standard' certificate...Teachers who have taught before/transfer licenses from another state get 'standard' if they meet all the requirements, does not need to be renewed. All teachers in NJ must acquire ongoing professional development-100 hours every 5 years.

Here's a list of certifications in NJ:

http://www.state.nj.us/cgi-bin/education/license/endorsement.pl?string=999&maxhits=1000&field=2

6. hp123

hp123 Comrade

Feb 15, 2010

So essentially, once you meet the basic requiremetns (bachelors with teaching certifcation program), with experience, mentoring etc. you get a standard certificate.

Do most teachers get there masters degree?

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2010

Masters is not required although it does move you up the salary scale in addition to opening up other career opportunities. In my district, teachers must get 3 credits per year up to +30 credits (in addition to the 100 hours requirement) so you might as well be getting those credits towards a degree or additional certification.

8. hp123

hp123 Comrade

Feb 15, 2010

Does your distric pay for those credits?

Our state requires a masters just to get a permanent certification in the area you are teaching.

I like New Jersey's way better. :)

9. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Feb 15, 2010

In Mass, you can teach with a bachelors degree and a provisional or initial teaching license. You must obtain your masters degree within 5 years, though in order to obtain your professional license. If you do not, your initial license expires and you won't be allowed to teach until you've received your masters.

10. hp123

hp123 Comrade

Feb 15, 2010

Beth,

That is how NYS works. Though, I hear that districts prefer teachers that already have a Masters.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2010

It depends on the district.

For a new teacher, many districts would prefer only a BA/BS.

In rough economic times, they don't want to pay the higher salary that comes with an advanced degree until they're sure that the candiate will work out.

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 15, 2010

In Kentucky you can begin teaching with a BA/BS and teaching certification , but in order to keep your teaching certification you have to pass the year-long internship program and then get a masters. You can't renew your certification after a certain number of years without it.

I did my masters a long time ago, and it was 10 years at that time. It may be 5 now. I started mine the same year that I did my internship. I knew I had to have it, so I went ahead and got it early. I was finished with my MA before I had tenure.

Universities also offer educational "Rank II" programs for those who don't have the undergraduate GPA or GRE scores to get admitted into a masters program. The pay raise is the same.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2010

In our district's contract, we get $1000 per every 3 years for professional development. Other districts in the area pay/reimburse more for classes/credits but our pay scale is one of the highest in the state so it's a trade off.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 15, 2010

In my area/county (& probably the entire state), you need a Bachelors degree. But, of course you get a higher salary for having a Masters, but my district doesn't pay any more if you have a PhD (& still a teacher, I'm NOT talking about administrative jobs). Now, I know certain states require a Masters to be a TEACHER.

15. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Feb 15, 2010

In MN it is a minimum of a BA/BS. Getting a Master's is not required by districts, but is certain "encouraged". I know of more teachers that have a MA than have not.

16. Toak

Toak Cohort

Feb 15, 2010

In PA, you have to have a bachelor's degree from a certified education program THEN you need to earn 180 hours of continuing professional development credits within 6 years or your lose your teaching license. So you might as well get a master's degree

17. wrice

wrice Habitué

Feb 15, 2010

Pay step in TX for Master's but only Bachelor's is required. At my private school, about 60% have Master's or Doctorate. Those with Bachelor had significant experience.

18. guest_teacher

guest_teacher Rookie

Feb 15, 2010

In California, a Bachelor's Degree is quite sufficient. Even the field of the degree is largely irrelevant, as most teaching credential candidates demonstrate subject matter competency by examination (CSET = California Subject Examination for Teachers).

Obtaining a teaching credential requires anywhere from 0 (early completion internship) to 30+ (internship or traditional program) credits. Typically, these credits are "post-baccalaureate", i.e., completed after the bachelor's degree. Sometimes these credits can be applied to a concurrent or separate master's degree, but often, they are terminal in nature.

Advanced degrees are not especially common. In 2008-2009, the last year for which data are available,

19.2% of California teachers had a master's degree,
    17.8% had credits beyond a master's degree, and
    0.8% had a doctorate

(according to Ed-Data, the state's education data clearinghouse).

As Aliceacc points out, new teachers with advanced degrees may be at a disadvantage, because school districts want to hire at the lowest possible salary. I would add that principals and colleagues sometimes get nervous when you are better-educated than they are!

19. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Feb 15, 2010

Exactly what czacza said earlier :) And the tuition reimbursement varies by district and contract. My district offers about $2000 per year in tuition reimbursement up to the masters +30 credits/ceu rank.

Once you are hired in NJ, you obtain your provisional certificate (to go along with your certificate of eligibility/ ce with advanced standing). To get your standard certificate in NJ, you basically have to go through one year with positive evaluations and have your admin fill out the forms. If you have a good first year (at least thats the length of time it was when I did it) you can apply for your standard cert. It doesn't expire.

I believe in NJ that if you go through an alternate route program you get your certificate of eligbility, but if you go through a traditional program at a college, you get a certificate of eligbility with advanced standing. And then there are some that if you meet the requirements for it, you automatically are issued a standrad certificate...that's how it was with my supervisor cert after I graduated with my masters. :)

20. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 16, 2010

In TX you only need a Bachelors and certification. You do get paid more with a Masters but it's not required. Some teachers do teach with a provisional license and once they teach for a year they receive a standard certificate.

21. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Feb 16, 2010

This has me curious. Does anyone have a chart that lists which states require a Masters? I know RI does after 5 years.

22. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Feb 16, 2010

IL doesnt require a masters degree, just a BA/BS for an inital, then after 4 years and professional development (there are options) you move up to standard...that is good for 5 years (I think, Im only on my 2nd year of teaching), then you keep renewing by doing professional development.

Districts do pay more for a masters, but masters are completely optional in IL.

23. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Feb 16, 2010

In Ohio, you can start teaching with your bachelors degree in whatever field of education it is. In my case I am certified to teach PK-12 Visual arts.

Your first teaching license is a 2-year provisional. After that you apply for a 5 year. In Ohio, after x number of years..which I'm a bit unclear as the exact number, are required to get their Masters Degree. And every time there after that my license needs renewed will need hours to keep me current. These can be through graduate work, workshops etc.

I know Ohio is changing some things. They are getting rid of the Praxis III element, but the Praxis II still needs passed for intial licensure. In place of the the Praxis III they are implementing a 3 year mentoring program for new teachers. I'm not sure what all will be invovled b/c I fell into the Praxis III era.

If you don't have a job before your 2-year provisional expires, you have to take classes to keep your license active.

24. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Feb 16, 2010

Pisces, I googled for a list, but just some articles came up. I never found a list. :(

25. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Feb 16, 2010

In California, as others have mentioned, getting a teaching credential is a one year program taken after you have your BA. Once you get a teaching job (not subbing) then you have to go through two years of BTSA (a "mentoring" type program with A LOT of written reflections and professional development) to get a clear (or non-temporary) credential. After doing all that, it feels like you earned a masters!

26. The_Plan

The_Plan New Member

Feb 17, 2010

Teacher Certification State by State..

Hi There! New to posting here and they won't let me post a link to this site which lists state by state teacher requirements..but the name of the site is this: teachercertification.org/career-guide/
    try it out...

27. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Feb 17, 2010

In MA you have to go through a two year mentoring program as well. The first year consists mostly of meeting with your mentor weekly and being observed monthly, but the second year requires you to create a portfolio with all kinds of reflections. It's like going through and intro to ed. class all over again! Unfortunately, we also need to earn a masters in order to receive our professional licenses.

28. beatlebug731

beatlebug731 Comrade

Feb 17, 2010

In PA, you need to have a bachelors degree and a certification. Idk how it is in New York, but I think that some districts won't hire teachers with masters degrees bcuz they are more expensive.

29. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Feb 18, 2010

In Connecticut you have to have begun or completed you master's degree within 5 years of teaching.

30. thegirlinaz

thegirlinaz Rookie

Feb 18, 2010

In Arizona you just need a bachelor's degree and to pass the AEPA test to get your teaching certificates.

31. thegirlinaz

thegirlinaz Rookie

Feb 18, 2010

I hope that isn't true here (AZ) because I am getting my master's degree in elementary and special ed. and I will need a job!