What level is best to teach Spec Ed?

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by areynolds, Apr 28, 2004.

1. areynolds

areynolds Rookie

Apr 28, 2004

I am a Sociology major that is trying to obtain a Spec Ed job in the Fall. I think I want to do Mild or Interellated, but I am trying to determine which is best and what grade level. I heard of the collab, self-contained and resource settings and I was wondering which is best for a new teacher like me. I was also wondering the difference in teaching Elem, Middle School and H.S. I like older kids but is kind of nervous about Middle School and very nervous about H.S. I thought about teaching maybe 3-5. How is it to teach diff levels and so forth? and should I try to do an Alternative Prep Program versus just doing a Provisional while enrolled in School? I would appreciate the responses!
    Thanks!

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Apr 28, 2004

I guess it would all depend on what age level you prefer. I've worked with them up to 8th grade. I have preschool SPE now and would NOT want any older classes. I'm not one for having my students in the 8th grade being bigger than me and I'm 5'6... or having a little 6th grader tell a BIG 8th grader "yo mama" and a fight break out. Nah, I'll still stick with my little ones.

Lori

4. areynolds

areynolds Rookie

Apr 28, 2004

Thanks for replying. I am 5'2 and I feel the same way about H.S. I just can't imagine my little self trying to keep them in check. A lot of my friends like it, but I feel like the kids will not take me serious. I am 31 and I look younger. I am still trying to find out more information on the classroom setting. Are you with your kids all day? Have you ever worked in a collaborative or resource setting?, which do you prefer? and when you taught Middle School. How was that set up?
    Thanks

5. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Apr 28, 2004

I'm 5 foot tall and I LOVE LOVE LOVE special education with adults and adolescents. I look really young (I still get asked if I'd like a children's menu in restaurants). I've never had a problem with behavior management that related to my size or appearance. I present myself as an adult who is in charge first and have learned to draw lines between myself and my students when necessary. I currently teach adults at a day-habilitation program. They think its funny that they're older than me but most follow all directions; when they don't listen, its never because I'm younger or smaller.

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Apr 28, 2004

Now I teach in a self-contained preschool SPE class. My students are their from 7:45 until 2:15. Some come 2 days a week, some 3 and some 5 depending on what the parents request.

When I had the 6-8th grade I was the reading/history teacher for some of the students. I did not really like that job. I was not cut out for jr. high. I survived... lol... and was luckier than another new teacher that same year. Middle of the year they had to hire someone else to come in and do her job... regular ed math teacher. She was so lost. They kept her on for the remainder of the year... I guess call it a paid extention of student teaching.

Sometimes I think it would be nice to be in a collaborative classroom but it would depend on the SPE kids. If it was my wild child in a collab class... NO!!!! When I first had her I couldn't have imagined having to deal with her in a regular classroom. But now she is better, still has her moments but might learn more by being around "normal" peers. I'll just stick with my self-contained class.

Lori

7. SOCoach

SOCoach Guest

May 9, 2004

what to teach?

I am an LD student who is working on my teaching degree for special education. I can tell you that the resource rooms I have been in for HS where great and under control. Teachers have to stay on top of kids & set & make clear rules...I just interview while back for a resource room job....it was HS. Special ed is not a job for everyone. The resource room is where kids come in to do homework, test & U may teach some subjects or just one. Really it is in my opinion probably the easiest because you don't have to do as many lesson plans etc. But you are then required to stay informed on what is happening in each of your students classrooms so, you can help them. Why don't you just ask to go observe some different classrooms? I would rather do HS because MS are all in that hormonal age/easily pressured. At least HS has a basic idea what is expect & have learned ways to control their behaviors....
    Good luck,:D

8. areynolds

areynolds Rookie

May 10, 2004

Thanks for your reply! and congratulations on your interview! I have been hearing that Middle School is a little difficult due to the hormonal years. I have a friend who taught high school Special Ed and she said the same thing. She said that high school is not as bad as people may think. You're right, I do need to visit different areas for myself. That was a wonderful and clear cut explanation on the resource room. I think I like the resource position also. I think I have narrowed down which position to try for first! although like you said, I would have to do an IEP on all of them. I don't know how the collab setting would be in high school, or do they have collab settings in high school? I think I am a more of a one on one type person or small group as opposed to a large classroom. Do you know if the collab teacher teaches every subject in high school? Thanks again and Good Luck to you also!

9. areynolds

areynolds Rookie

Jun 18, 2004

New Resource Position

Hi guys, I went on an interview yesterday and was told by the asst principal that she was impressed and that I will get the job if everything checks out. It will be a interrellated resource position at an elementary school. I was just wondering if any one has any tips or any advice as to things I should do on the first day and what to expect. I will have a para at all times and no more than nine students. I am looking forward to it, but I have never taught before and I am nervous and wondering how I will know what to do. Are there any resource teachers out there who can help me?

10. Esther

Esther Guest

Jun 18, 2004

I'm looking for a job

Hi,

I've just read your mail conversation and realize I am in the same position as you, but I don't have a job yet. Congratulations to you! I've been doing resource room in a private school and am interested in teaching for the board of ed in in New York. Do you have any tips on how to find a job, and how to format a resume? I changed careers and used to be an IT manager.

11. azteacherpeoria

azteacherpeoria Rookie

Jun 19, 2004

I think it also depends where you are coming from. I worked in New York City and Arizona and they run their programs much different. NYC had a self-contained program for LD. In AZ it is a resource program. But even that program is differnt within districts. We teach reading and language art in the program, the students do not do it in their regular class. Other districts just help with homework and classwork. The bulk of the work is assigned by regular ed. teacher. We are a k-8 school, I prefer students k-6. The 7/8 students have too much hormones for my taste.:)

12. areynolds

areynolds Rookie

Jun 21, 2004

I had another interview today and this principal told me that the resource teacher would work with the regular ed teacher some and then do pull out. She stated that the subjects I would need to work with the kids on would be reading and math mostly and that the kids were great, she said the paperwork and the parents are the most things that people complain about. The last interview was for resource also but only work with a para and not reg ed teacher. I would have no more than nine kids. She did not state how often and what subjects. I look under teachga.org for job listings and the individual school system web sites. I call schools and that's how I mostly get interviews. I am still waiting on the previous school to get back with me for a definite. I am happy, but have been told by another principal the same thing, so I am still looking for now, until I sign the contract. A lot of schools want to wait out until the end of the summer for a certified teacher, which is understandable. I just wish they could let me know asap so that I can prepare myself for the first day of school.

13. azteacherpeoria

azteacherpeoria Rookie

Jun 22, 2004

Keep faith

I am sure you will not have a problem finding a position. There seems to be a shortage of special education teachers, certified or not. We have needed to fill two positions and I have had a difficult time. I have also realized through the hiring process that just because a teacher is certified special education does not necessarily mean they are any good. Good luck. :)

14. areynolds

areynolds Rookie

Jun 23, 2004

Thanks for the enocuragement! Still waiting.

15. clpetty

clpetty Guest

Jul 10, 2004

special ed teacher

I have taught sped in a resource classroom for 6 years and I LOVE it. My class periods are 75 min. each except language arts which is 55 mins. I have taught 3-6, and have been teaching 6th for the last 4 years. I love this age level. Get into the files and read your IEP's as soon as possible to determine ability level spreads in subject areas. I teach 1 lesson to the entire class and work is based on level, which means I often pass out 4 or 5 different assignments based on that day's objective. Also, during the first few weeks, be very strict and consistent with classroom expectations, set the year how YOU want it to go. No discipline = NO learning. I am very strict, and my kids love me. They know exactly what to expect and appreciate that. You will discover what age level you like best after teaching a while. Do not freak out, you will spend this first year in an absolute panic over everything. It will get better, and your skills will become increasingly automatic in identifying strengths and weaknesses and how best to remediate them. Talk to your students, they are your BEST resource. I hope this helps, if you have any other questions I can help you with let me know. I have been a Region 10 (alternative program) teacher mentor for the last 4 years and they are very supportive and informational, you'll do fine if you choose to go that direction.

16. areynolds

areynolds Rookie

Jul 15, 2004

Finally got a job!

Thanks for all of that information about being strict and consistent. I have been promised about three positions and have not heard back from either, so on yesterday I went to an interview at a "high school" and I got it!!
    I was a little hesitant at first, thinking that I would be too soft or something and they would take advantage of me. Like I have been saying, I know that I prefer kids to be a little older, but I thought maybe highschool was too much. The position is for a transitions teacher, that would have to teach life skills. I said well, I guess that could be interesting. I would have to also plan and coordinate outside activities to prepare them for the "real world". I am enrolled in school and need a job or a practicum, so I have to be employed. The position is close to home and I think I will like it after all. The assistant principle was very impressed with me and told me so. If anyone can give me some details about this, please inform. I was told that there are no books and that I would have to be creative to keep them interested. I will have about ten kids in my classes.

17. azteacherpeoria

azteacherpeoria Rookie

Jul 15, 2004

congrtatulations. Best of luck.

18. areynolds

areynolds Rookie

Jul 16, 2004

Thanks!!! I will need it.

19. Myspedtchr

Myspedtchr Guest

Jul 19, 2004

Life Skills Program

When I student taught in a high school life skills class, we taught them how to go shopping at the supermarket once a week. There families would send in shopping orders. We also did laundry skills, fire safety, career development-interveiewing, finding a job, want ads. We did a socialization meeting once a week that the student were able to bring up any concerns or I woul;d give them a senerio and they would figure out how to solve it. I hope these examples help.

20. areynolds

areynolds Rookie

Jul 21, 2004

Yes, that did help. How were the students as far as their behavior and things like that? How were they as far as their attitudes about learing these skills?

21. TeachBD

TeachBD Rookie

Sep 13, 2006

I have 6/7th grade self-contained ED/BD room and love this age group. It really does depend on you and your personality.

Personally, the younger kids are too high of maintenance for me and the older kids are too smart for their own good lots of times...

My 6/7th grade kids - for the most part- still enjoy coming to school and are old enough to manage some things for themselves both at school and at home. Yet, they are still physically small enough that I feel like they are 'kids' and my 'mothering' instinct works with my 'teaching' instinct and it just works for me.

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 13, 2006

The K-8 districts in my area have either elementary (K-5 or K-6) or middle school RSP. Then, they each have SDC. I don't know how it goes at the high school level. I'm currently an elem. RSP teacher.

I don't think I'm the type to teach HS level or middle school for that matter & I have no interest in teaching those grades anyway. I may teach college level at some point down the road. At that level, there are no discipline problems since students have a choice & are paying to be there.