What "Kooky/Weird" Beauty Regime did you have as a kid??

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherSandra, Sep 7, 2008.

1. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 7, 2008

oh, what I would have given to have had a hair flat iron; but in the 70s, that was unheard of! I would wash my hair at night and put it in a tight low ponytail and viola...my hair would be nice and straight with control!
    2. While reading one of my teen magazines, I stumbled upon a great trick to give your hair shine, wash it with mayonnaise. I washed it many times that way (at night) and yes, it stunk to high heaven in the process, but my hair was so shiny. ugh. I can't believe that I wouldn't even add a drop of shampoo to wash it out. I know...:eek:hmy:
    3. My older cousins would "straighten" their hair out with empty "frozen" OJ cans! They would "roll" it using the cannisters. And yes, it worked.
    3. A few of my friends stuck by the ole "toothpaste" on the pimple trick too!

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 7, 2008

Nope, you are just weird. :p

I did try to get head lice out of my hair with mayo once while I was preggers but that's about it. Other than the teasing the hair thing in the 80's.

4. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 7, 2008

;) Did the mayo work???

5. silver rain

silver rain Comrade

Sep 7, 2008

Lemon juice to lighten hair color...we used many lemons one summer and it didn't work!

OMG... I just remembered...the more BLUE eyeshadow the better we thought we looked...LMAO

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 7, 2008

White eyeliner in the late '90s

::shudders::

7. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2008

oh gosh, i remember the white eyeliner... lord

8. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Sep 7, 2008

White eyeliner??? I don't remember that.

I remember using lemon juice (from the bottle) and it worked. Nice blondish streaks. Thought is was "natural" to do it that way.

Big bangs in the 80s-lots of Aqua Net hairspray.

9. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 7, 2008

Does tight-rolling jeans count? Not really beauty, but definitely kooky...

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 7, 2008

Yep, the mayo worked.

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 7, 2008

I had a brief period of 80s makeup syndrome. It was a crazy mixture of blue, hot pink and gold eyeshadows with VERY thick black eyeliner and streaky blush. I looked like an explosion in a paint factory. We won't even discuss my crazy clothing choices once I was able to get away from my preppy cousins' hand-me-downs.

12. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Sep 7, 2008

In middle school, I would put four pink foam curlers in my bangs, sleep in them, and then tease my bangs up to curly high heaven in the morning, with hairspray galore.

The rest of my hair would be perfectly straight, of course.

13. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Sep 7, 2008

White eye liner...wow, I forgot about that, but boy did I think it looked good. I would love to find a picture and just see how it really looked.

I also did the lemon juice thing, it worked for me.

I use to sleep with my hair in buns (four or five of them) so that I would have "curly" hair. Again, I would love a picture to see how it worked.

14. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 7, 2008

Wow, I only used white eyeliner when I was acting. I never thought to use it off stage / camera. Of course, by the time the 90s rolled around I was only wearing the black liquid eyeliner (and purple hair, but again, that's a whole other story).

15. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 7, 2008

In the 60's (I am older than you guys,) I put emormous curlers in my hair to straighten it out. I SLEPT with those things in! When I woke up in the middle of the night, I would take them out so it wouldn't get too bouncy!!!! After I cut my hair, the style was to have curls jutting out onto the cheek bone, flat to the skin. It was great for causing pimples on the cheeks!!!! Oh and black, black eyeliner, ya know, the whole beatnik look. By the 70's it was HUGE long, long hair for me, poofed way out to San Fransisco!!! One time at a concert, the guy behind me broke the end of his cigarette off in my hair and we all panicked, combing through it frantically was like trying to comb through a brush pile!!!!! Ahhh those were the days!

16. SuzieQ

SuzieQ Companion

Sep 7, 2008

In the 80's before I discovered liquid eye liner, we would get a lighter and burn a eyeliner pencil till it was melty. Then I would put it under and over my eyes. We also used a lot of Aqua Net on our hair and tease it. Lemon also helped with highlights.

17. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 7, 2008

When I was in junior high (92-93), we used to get the ultra-mega hold hair spray, and pull our bangs up sky high, spray the heck out of them, and let the very ends cascade down. We used to spray the sides of our hair out too-make sense?

18. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Sep 8, 2008

Oh lordie, this thread is hilarious....Okay, here are mine:

A friend and I had really long hair, and we would braid it at night in really tight raids. Then in the a.m. we would take the braids out flip our heads upside down and mousse and hairspray the heck out of our hair. The aquired look: think crimping iron from hell! :eek:

We used vaseline to get lice out once...yeah, it kills the lice, but it takes a month and a half to get the vaseline out! :Banghead:

We tied our tee-shirts up on the sides with scrunchies. tres chic! :lol:

Ooh, I remember it was VERY popular to make your shoelaces go all in...where you didn't have to tie them...it just looked like lines on the top of your KEDS...tee hee...good times!

green and blue eyeshadow was popular, as was lining your lips with a lip liner 40 shades darker than your lipstick. sheesh!

This is fun, if I think of anything else, I will post it.
    Great Thread! :0)

19. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 8, 2008

I'm laughing hysterically at some of these. My jr. high/high school days were the late 80's and early 90's. I remember the blue eyshadow and aqua net hairspray. My hair is so frizzy I didn't need to tease it at all to get the big hair look.

20. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Sep 8, 2008

I was just thinking about the same thing, holding out the hair at the sides of your face, then spraying the heck out of them to make them stick out, also the bangs, curled up high, looking back at the pictures, it makes me think of a peacocks tail! Also, ALLLLLLLLLL the hairspray, lordy lordy, my hair was always stiff and crunchy.
    :lol:

21. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008

When I was about 12 I tried plucking my eyebrows and it hurt so my brilliant solution was NAIR ... it burnt the skin and my eyebrows never grew back the same as before my beauty blunder.

22. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008

Mine was big bangs of course. I still have bangs and my kids swear that I wear them BIG but I don't. (if they only saw pictures) I didnt wear alot of make up and still dont. I live in Texas so of course there are the cowboy boots and the jeans tucked in the inside. Today I still wear jeans and boots But I wouldn't be caught dead tucking them into the boots. Some of the boys wore parchute pants. Some dressed like Sonny Crockett on Miami Vice. Oh and then there were the headbangers. All they wore were rock band tshirts and the girls wore lots of eyeliner. This thread brought back all kinds of memories of the way we all dressed.

23. jenngugs

jenngugs Companion

Sep 8, 2008

I used to wear sparkle glitter on my face in middle school...on my eyes as eye shadow, on my cheeks as blush, and on my lips as a lip gloss.

I also did the mega side pony, with an extra large scrunchie the same color as my stacked socks and keds.

24. Dee452

Dee452 Comrade

Sep 8, 2008

:rolleyes:Pin curls. Big hair rollers. blue eye shadow. Lemon juice. Oh to be young again:rolleyes:

25. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2008

OOOOH, what a fun thread!!! I was an 82 baby. So, for me, it was curly hair (went to bed with those pink soft curlers), big bangs, neon colored clothes...... Oh, my, the 80s and early 90 were awesome!!!!!! :D