What Kinds of Professional Development Workshops Do you Like Best?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by JPMc, Jul 19, 2005.

1. JPMc

JPMc Rookie

Jul 19, 2005

What kinds of professional development work do you like best? What has been the most useful? Do you like workshops before, during, or after school best? What topics have you gone to that really worked? I hope to take some ideas back to a committee I am on, so please share any really good ideas you have. Thanks!

3. iharding

iharding Companion

Jul 19, 2005

I loved the Dr. Jean seminar. She is very up lifting. I don't know what grade levels you are looking for but she is for primary k-2ish. I think she is a lot of fun. I went to 3 workshop/ seminars last year and one was for four blocks, one was Dr. Jean, and the other was the early childhood conference in Indy. I was told the early childhood conference in California was awesome but I didn't have the money to go to it. I hope this information helps.

4. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2005

I LOVE LOVE LOVE going to professional dev. I really preferr to go to conferences during school. My 2 favorites last year were Fontas and Pinell and The Early Literacy conference with Linda Dorn. OH I also went to see Deb Diller and she was great. These conferences were all about word work, reading workshop and/or writers workshop. I think everyone can get SOMETHING from these...even if its just one little idea. As for me I got lots!! :)

5. Sarah Leigh Ann

Sarah Leigh Ann Companion

Jul 19, 2005

We have a consulting teacher who comes to our school from Texas and I love her sessions. Her name is Glenna Tabor. She does a lot with comprehension strategies and writing- writer's and reader's workshop. When she comes she will come to your room and work with you- co-teaching and giving ideas you can use with your kids. I love it- she is amazing with kids.

6. TXTeacher4

TXTeacher4 Companion

Jul 19, 2005

I recently went to a workshop called Tribes Basic Training. It was awesome! It was about ways to create a trusting, open, community where the students learn how to be self learners within their group. www.tribes.com

7. bam451

bam451 Rookie

Jul 19, 2005

The best workshop I have ever gone to was by Pat Pavelka on Guided Reading.

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2005

I just spent a week at Princeton University on the Art of Storytelling. I really didn't know what I was getting myself into, but it was by far the best experience I've ever had in professional development. If any of you live in the NJ area, I HIGHLY recommend you look into Susan Danoff's summer institutes for teachers. You'll be glad you did!!

9. JPMc

JPMc Rookie

Jul 20, 2005

Thanks to everyone who replied. Keep your ideas coming!

10. NCP

NCP Comrade

Jul 20, 2005

My district does a lot of classes through them and I find those the most beneficial. This is because they correlate to our curriculum. I have enjoyed the math support, reading recovery classes and the writing support classes. In addition, anything by Marilyn Burns for math is awesome.

11. mccwen

mccwen Comrade

Jul 20, 2005

I have been to many great staff dev. seminars, including Marilynn Burns.

The one that sticks out in my mind- because it was so different was one we had five years ago.

Our staff was undergoing some changes and moving towards a more collaborative setting with grade level teams. We brought in a person who did courses on collaborative teaming and understanding personality differences. We all took a battery of personality quizzes that categorized us into four main personality groups. Once you understood which personality group you fell into, we discussed the perceptions of those groups. For example, the "gold" group needs structure and organization, they need order and predictablity in order to function in their job. But "golds" can be perceived as strict, ****, uptight, etc. The "orange" group rebels against organization, they enjoy their freedom and love flying by the seat of their pants. They can be perceived as flighty, unorganized, irresponsible, etc. If a grade level has a "gold" and "orange" personalities on their team, they can easily butt heads. The workshop was designed for us to understand our differences and accept our differences rather than have them divide us.

It was a lot of fun and still to this day we'll reference it- Like, "Oh, that's because you're a blue." or "She's such a gold." :D

12. leslye

leslye Rookie

Jul 20, 2005

Last year, I went to see Harry Wong which, of course, was fantastic! This year, I went to Tribes Basic which I also loved. I like that it focuses on students feeling safe and comfortable in your classroom by doing short activities once a day. By addressing their emotions first makes them much more capable to learn at their fullest potentials. Studies show that the brain deals with emotions before anything else. Making your classroom a safe haven that they can come to while shutting out the rest of the world, sets the tone for great learning. I can't wait to use it!

13. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2005

Today my district did a Crisis Management Training inservice. They had people from the NJ Office of Counterterrorism as well as the township police dept. It was really interesting because they broke down information on terrorism in general and in the schools. Then we went over specific actions for our school district in certain situations, such as an intruder, kidnapping, etc.

I am biased to these types of things since I am an emergency responder in my hometown, but I think it is really important for teachers to be prepared and for districts to think about it. :)