What kind of technology do you use in the classroom?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by dibba, May 28, 2011.

1. dibba

dibba Rookie

May 28, 2011

I know that high-tech can't replace great teaching, but wondering what kind of technology you use in your classroom to aid you?

I'm thinking of things like Interactive Whiteboards, computers, etc, or how you use them in creative ways.

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 28, 2011

We lack technology in our classrooms. We are lucky to have 2 computer labs, but we lack even computers in our classrooms; however, we did a walk-a-thon early this month to raise money for computers, and we raised enough money, so next year we will all have computers in our rooms (at the elementary level).

I will definitely be using my computer to make my lessons more effective. Apparently we are getting plasma-like monitors which will obviously be on our walls, so I will be able to do presentations, show clips, etc. This will be such a blessing.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 28, 2011

I use very little.

My sophs use a scientific (not a graphing) calculator.

I sometimes use a document camera-- many people here call it an ELMO.

And I occasionally go online-- to show the first 10,000 digits of pi, or the Pythagorean Theorem clip I like from the Wizard of Oz on youtube.

Beyond that, however, it's pretty much me and my chalk.

5. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

May 28, 2011

I use a variety, daily. My class notes are all presented via PowerPoint, with a wide array of photos and video clips to match up with them. Worksheets and homework are corrected via the document camera. We review for tests using student response remotes (clickers). I check homework and classwork into the gradebook using an iPad, as well as using it to control the PowerPoints I present to the kids. I also have two computers in the back of the room that are used when students need to look up information, or finish typed homework.

6. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

May 28, 2011

Wow, can you explain a little more about how you use the ipad? I have a color Nook which has some functionality like an ipad; I'm wondering if I might be able to use it.

7. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

May 28, 2011

I have a promethean board that I use every day. I have 3 computers in my room for students to use also.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 28, 2011

I have 2 desktop computers, a laptop, a SmartBoard, and a Smart document camera. I use all of them every day.

9. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

May 28, 2011

I have a teacher computer, 4 student computers, a laptop, a document camera, and a smart board. I use them daily.

10. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

May 28, 2011

I have a laptop, 4 student computers with AT touch screens, a ceiling mounted projector, built-in speakers, an ELMO, a MOBI interwrite pad and a Promethean Board. I use a lot of interactive learning games.

11. TechnoMage

TechnoMage Companion

May 28, 2011

Never let Technology

Stand in the way of really good teaching.......

But I also have never let the lack of technology stand between me and having a really good time teaching.

Big screen, second hand TVs are cheap (or donated).

Mimeo(s) are smartboards (and they run smartnotebook) and are old and cheap (ebay-it).

Laptop tablet computers work as Smartboards and are old and cheap (Ebay-it)

A long-necked webcam functions as a document camera ($10 Ebay).

You can use wireless USB mice as "clickers", free software for teachers on the MS website.

Student response boards (12" x 16" cut up tileboard) are a cheap bang for the buck (works with individual, small group, large group).

For myself, I never let money get between me and having fun.
    I had:
    A video projector (after the wide screen TV),
    Qwizdom Clickers
    Mimeo
    Laser printer
    Scanner
    Surround Sound (500 watts)
    Tablet computer(s)
    Document projector ( as stated earlier)
    and later a Smartboard (last 5 years)
    Oh, and Credit card debt.........
    But fun, fun, fun....................

Teach cheap, teach expensive, just teach.

:2cents: TechnoMage

12. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

May 28, 2011

Interwrite pad, projector, two computers, Qwizdom remote student answering system, and notes with graphics on PowerPoint. Our school also has a portable laptop lab (with 30 laptops) that I use for all assessments and for projects. I use all my technology almost everyday and would be lost without it.

13. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

May 28, 2011

Sure. My iPad is connected to my computer via a remote desktop application called VNC. This enables me to control the computer via the iPad. Therefore, my computer gradebook is available on the iPad, and so I can walk around the room and still check and enter grades, and take attendance. Further, because of the link to my computer, when I present a PPT to the class, I control it through the iPad. I can not only move slides from anywhere in the room, but also see a copy of the presentation for myself, on my own screen.

I use those features the most, ultimately using the iPad every day, all day - as I teach. I also use an App called "TeachersPick" - you enter student names, and it randomly calls on them. It's similar to the old-school use of popsicle sticks, but the kids get a kick out of it because it feels more "automated". I also have the teacher's edition of my textbook on the iPad, allowing me to walk around the room with something far smaller and easier to access than the actual 1000 page monster on my desk.

I know this sounded like an Apple advertisement, but I love the thing... changed the I way work. It doesn't do anything that I couldn't possibly do before, it just makes my life easier.

14. queenie

queenie Groupie

May 28, 2011

Same here!

15. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 28, 2011

Every student in my school has a laptop, so we use technology every day in all classes. Most of what I use is web based. Because I teach English, we can read stories online (often annotated with hyperlinks for videos/music/images to help the kids better understand what they're reading). Each student maintains a blog for writing, they can peer edit and make comments to help each other out... The skills I teach are virtually the same as in any class without technology, but this generation communicates differently. I think it's the job of English teachers to help them prepare for communicating digitally in an educated and responsible fashion.

16. NYteacherNmom

NYteacherNmom Rookie

May 28, 2011

I am one of the lucky ones in my building to have a Smartboard. If you have one or are getting one, I would highly recommend googling "smart exchange" and browsing the smart exchange website. Literally thousands of lessons you can download for free in whatever grade level and subject area that you choose. All customizable.

In my building, every classroom has:
    a mounted projector
    laptop case (8 laptops)
    either a MOBY or ELMO (doc camera), whichever they chose

A few of us lucky ones received smartboards this year instead of the moby or elmo. I LOVE my smartboard! Unfortunately I have to transfer buildings next year and my new classroom will not have one :(

17. dibba

dibba Rookie

May 29, 2011

Thanks for the good ideas in your post, I'm checking them out now!

18. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

May 29, 2011

When you say your iPad connects to your computer, is your computer a Mac, or will it work with Windows too?

19. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 29, 2011

Band - Love what you wrote about the role of English teachers ... can you share with me the details of the blog writing exercises? If you need my email, PM me. THANKS! :)

20. dibba

dibba Rookie

May 29, 2011

VNC works with Windows and Macs.

And I'm pretty sure you can VNC from a Mac (iPad) to a PC, or the other way around.

21. AndreGreen

AndreGreen Companion

May 30, 2011

I always try to use Technology in my Classroom, I have A Smartboard, 4 Computers (one being my Computer) and the other 3 are available for my students.

22. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

May 30, 2011

I have the following technology in my classroom which is used almost on a daily basis:
    SMARTboard
    Document camera
    laptops for all students
    SMART Response system
    Quiz wizard software on my computer

Most of my classroom notes are in PowerPoints or Smart Notebook files.
    I give pop quizzes with the Smart Response systems and with the Quiz Wizard program.
    Students use the laptops for individual research and assignments.

23. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 30, 2011

The most practical technology I use is our online learning management system. All of my assignments, handouts, links, videos, etc. are posted online so students can access it all anywhere they have internet access. Work is submitted digitally, so I don't have a stack of papers to carry around and shuffle through each evening. I open their work in Word, correct it with either my stylus or using the comment option, then I send it back to them.

With the starboard/smartboard, teachers can record their lessons as they teach them and upload them to the computer. That way when students go home to work on homework, they can play the video back if they don't understand.

We use a program called "DyKnow" that allows me to monitor every computer screen in the room. Not only can I make sure students are always on task (at least on the surface... can't stop daydreaming), I can also take over a computer and project it for the rest of the class if there is something that student is doing especially well that I want them to see. Or if a kid gets stuck on his/her opening paragraph, I can project it and we can all work through it. (Our math teachers love having that ability).

What I've found is that technology allows me to give much more immediate feedback to the students, and that is invaluable.

24. dibba

dibba Rookie

May 31, 2011

What's the name of your online learning management system?

25. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 31, 2011

I found a new game that I think would be great to have in the classroom called iAssociate 2 (app in the iTunes store). It's like a big concept map. Fun! It wouldn't be for K but I could see it for older students.

26. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

May 31, 2011

TechnoMage... I've just been looking on ebay! Some great deals. Thanks!

27. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 31, 2011

Dibba, we use Angel learning which is a part of Blackboard. We also use DyKnow Vision/Monitor which allows us to do some of the same things.