What Kind of Teacher are You?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms. I, Apr 17, 2009.

?

Which type are YOU most like?

1. I admit I'm a real softie!

1.4%
  2. I know when to have fun, but I can be firm too.

59.7%
  3. I'm still trying to perfect my teaching style to see what works best w/ most students.

23.6%
  4. I expect a certain list of behaviors & I demand it of all my students.

15.3%
  1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 17, 2009

I'm the type of teacher who expects a certain type of behaviors from any student I work w/ & I don't think it's asking too much. If a student thinks I'm being too strict or mean because of it, so be it. I do try to build a positive rapport w/ students though.

Behaviors I expect are:

- raising their hand to talk (for the most part)
    - not talking if someone else is talking
    - quietly listening while I'm talking
    - staying in their seats
    - following directions the 1st time they are given & remembering them
    - having appropriate behavior when entering the classroom (no loud or strange noises, singing, no tapping of pencils, etc.)
    - definitely NO back talk to the me, etc.
    - taking pride in their classwork & homework by turing it it neatly, not all bent or w/ stains, rips, etc.

(I'm sure there's a few more things I can't think of right now, but they're logical & not unreasonable.)

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 17, 2009

I like to have fun at work and enjoy laughing with my students. I am also very firm with my students and have very high expectations of them. I don't "sweat" the little stuff, but come down hard on the big stuff. Being firm, fair and consistent allows me the ability to have fun as well.

4. capfortune

capfortune Rookie

Apr 17, 2009

I'm a firm teacher but I do make sure the children who are well behaved and who do their best know that I appreciate their efforts. Quite often it is these children who miss out on the teacher's atteniton because the teacher is distracted by the not so well behaved children. I think the children I teach would say I have a sense of humour.

5. Securis

Securis Cohort

Apr 17, 2009

QTF: A.K.A. Quoted for Truth. This is how I am. These are my expectations and I sweetly ask for them. Once, twice, but the third time, Mr. Hyde appears and he's, "not very nice. No, Precious, not very nice at all." :haha:

6. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Apr 17, 2009

I tell my students on the very first day that I will be as laid back and "fun" as they let me be. If they follow our classroom expectations and are respectful to each other and to me, we can have fun and joke from time to time. However, if they are goofing off or are being disrespectful, then I lower the boom. They have seen it happen, and they much prefer the smiling Mrs. R.
    I think, though, that this has developed over my 15 years of teaching. I know what I consider to be "the small stuff," and I also know that I am working with young adolescents who can't always control those jittery behaviors that can drive me nuts if I let it. I give plenty of opportunity to move around. In fact, I tell students that if they need to get up and get a tissue or sharpen their pencil, to get up and do it; I'd rather not be interrupted (although I ask that they wait to actually sharpen until a natural pause in the discussion).

7. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 17, 2009

That's how I am, too. I want things done a certain way. That's why I hand out a two page list of all procedures that the kids are expected to know. We do practice them and I expect them at all times, or we practice some more.

8. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Apr 17, 2009

I'm still perfecting my teaching style. This is my first year of teaching so there was a lot of trial and error. But I think next year will be awesome now that I've decided what behaviors I can and cannot tolerate and what I have to expect of them to get what I need and to give them what they need.

9. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Apr 17, 2009

That's that I'm trying to get to. Most days I do well, but not as many days as I'd like.

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 17, 2009

I am the type that believes in preventive maintenance. I see a lot of things teachers do that contribute to the students misbehaviors. I'm not perfect either but I try to work on making sure I'm doing what I need to do to set them up for success. When it doesn't work, I evaluate what happened. Sometimes it really is just the students and sometimes I know I could have set things up differently. Sure we all expect students to do what they are told but how many of us change our behaviors based on the setup of different environments?

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 17, 2009

The students would say that I'm strict (although I prefer to refer to it as having high expectations) but goofy & fun as well. I try to teach the students how to balance that. ;)

12. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Apr 25, 2009

I'm very big on following the rules and always follow through with consequences. However, we can still have fun at the same time. It's a fine line to walk, but it works for me.

13. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Apr 25, 2009

As many other posters have stated, I expect my students to follow my rules and expectations and follow through with consequences if they don't. As long as they are well-behaved, then I am all for having a good time.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2009

Firm
    Fun
    Fair

Expectations are clearly communicated. I build a classroom climate built on students feeling capable, connected and contributing. I prefer to be proactive in terms of classroom mgt, I keep parents informed of students' progress and struggles, students know that choices have consequences.

15. Arky

Arky Comrade

Apr 26, 2009

I would like to be just like my fourth grade teacher. She was probably in her early 60's. She was my favorite teacher. She was kind. I remember her being very professional and patient. I don't remember her cracking jokes or even being funny, but she smiled all the time. She discovered my art ability and told my mom good things. She had a cursive contest. The best cursive would get this beautiful ink pen and we could use it if we won it. I worked so hard to get that pen. Another girl won it and I must of drove her crazy because she ended up giving me one too. I don't ever remember her being cross with the students. Isn't it funny how you remember people because of the way they made you feel, good or bad.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 26, 2009

I agree that I don't care how strict a teacher is, as long as they're FAIR to all.

17. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Apr 27, 2009

I love learning and I enjoy kids, and I think that shows. We're usually laughing and having a good time in class. Test scores are very good, though, so it works for me.

I get bored with long periods of silence, so I tend to sabotage them. They could sit there and read from novels for about 30 minutes before I go crazy and tired of what I'm supposed to be doing. They've begged for time to read, so that's something I've got to work on--letting them have down time.

I can't even give a spelling test without messing up on purpose--like giving the wrong word, or starting to spell it or coming up with a crazy sentence to go with the word. Routine things like spelling tests make me insane. I'm sure I've driven some kids 'round the bend.

I'm very professional when it comes to finding the best way to teach someone or something. I'll research the net all weekend long looking for ideas or I'll think and think about why so-and-so didn't get it then try another way.

I don't give up and I'm patient when I explain things. Even if it's over and over again. (I was scarred for life by a fourth grade teacher of mine who yelled at me for not getting something.)

I like food, so I tell kids to bring me a piece of their dessert for lunch. There are some mothers who bake outstanding "from scratch" cakes and pies for their kids. (I had a whole chocolate fudge cake the other day!)

I get a high percentage of gifted kids and then I ask for the mildly mentally handicapped students to make it even more interesting.

I don't think I'm strict, but I have very high expectations.

18. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 27, 2009

Ironically in a couple of my classes I was the only one that was ALLOWED to ask for the teacher to repeat things or to say I didn't get it. I didn't have an IEP back then but I am deaf. Some teachers understood that, some teachers thought my communication was too good for me to be that deaf. Ironically though, the teachers that were a bear, like the 4th grade teacher you described shouldbeasleep, were the ones who let me ask them to repeat things. One of them wrote in complete shorthand on the board. None of us knew how to decipher that for a while and since I couldn't read lips because he was writing on the board, I was the only one that could ask him to repeat what it said. I had classmates giving me signals to ask the teacher to repeat stuff.