What kind of sub are you?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by mommafran, Mar 30, 2012.

1. mommafran

mommafran Companion

Mar 30, 2012

Today I worked with a para who is used to doing "everything" and all the sub does is "assist." I found this to be making for a super long day and by the end of the day I had a major headache and couldn't take it. (It was in the plans that she leads and I provide assistance as needed.) We got along okay and she told me most subs "love" it when they have nothing to do. Are you that kind of sub? I like to be super busy and watching someone teach reminds me of my "observation" days in college. Would it have bothered you? I gently informed her that if I were to be back we would share the "load" and she said that would be great. God willing I have no intention of going back but at least she got my point. :dizzy:

3. azure

azure Companion

Mar 30, 2012

If there are specific instructions from the teacher as to who does what, I follow those, and offer to help in any way I can. If there are no specific instructions, I ask the aide or student teacher or whoever the other person is how they want to divide the duties. If they want to do all the teaching, I offer to grade papers or help in any way she needs. I don't think a sub should go in and dictate how things are going to be.

4. mommafran

mommafran Companion

Mar 30, 2012

I agree that the sub shouldn't dictate things and that is why we followed the plans but even she admitted it would be hard to sit all day doing "nothing" even though some people love it. My question wasn't about the role of the sub my question was more like if anyone enjoys sitting around all day.

5. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Mar 30, 2012

I would hate a situation like that. I would MUCH rather spend my time teaching, guiding and helping with the homework instead of sitting on the sidelines all day.

I've subbed in a couple of classes where the teachers had an established routine; the kids come in, get their worksheets from their folders and do their work until the end of the period. I felt like a glorified babysitter because very few students asked for any help, so I just sat and monitored them. That was good in one way, because it meant they knew what to do and how to do it. It also meant they understood the material well enough to do it on their own. All of those are postive accomplishments, but it still made the day long and boooring for me. However, if those are the instructions left by the teacher, that is what I do.

6. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Mar 31, 2012

I definitely like to keep busy, which is why I do not like subbing in high school.
    High school subbing is mostly being a babysitter for adolescents and is very boring.

7. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Mar 31, 2012

I do NOT like sitting at watching all day, I'd much rather be helping out. The past two days I was with a student teacher. Fortunately, it was instrumental music so I brought my flute along and played with the kids all day. Much more entertaining than staring at the wall.

8. Nitch

Nitch Rookie

Mar 31, 2012

I hate that. I had a class once where the instructions were the 'the para will run the class.' I felt compleatly useless.

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 31, 2012

Well, the way I look at it is this:
    I'm prepared and excited to go in there and teach. But if the regular teacher wants me to sit back and assist someone else, that will be fine with me, too :) As long as it is known, that it's not my choice, I would rather be teaching, but I am willing to follow directions. It makes it an easy day - most of the time, at least - so why resist it?

10. mommafran

mommafran Companion

Mar 31, 2012

Phewwww I am so glad not to be the one. At one point I thought of leaving early but didn't do it cuz I need the money and I do not want to spoil my name as a sub. @ Lingusit92021 it is not exactly resisting but I find it hard to sit around doing nothing. If I have computer access and a book its a little better but just standing around trying to look interested is not easy.

11. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 31, 2012

yes, it's good to bring a book, just in case.

12. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Apr 1, 2012

There is frequently a good reason for a para to teach the class. For example, I know of one 4th grade teacher who always asks the para to lead the math lesson when she is out, because the para is there every day and knows the curriculum and how the skills are taught. She knows how to use the technology. The students see her as an authority figure, and that keeps behavior problems to a minimum. This particular para is also becoming certified to teach.

As a sub, you need to respect the plans left by the teacher. Saying that you will share the load next time is inappropriate and will probably get back to the teacher. Your idea of leaving early could also prove problematic as your presence may be required to satisfy adult-child ratios or a requirement to have a person in place of a certified teacher in the room.

13. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Apr 1, 2012

I agree with this. Classes that are special ed or pre-school often have multiple aides who know the kids and the routine, so it makes no sense for the sub to take charge.

Usually you can tell whether your roll is to be more of a teacher or a subordinate by observing the behavior of the aides. If my roll is not clear, I merely inform the aides that I am there to make things run as smoothly as possible and am very flexible, and that as the "man in charge, my first task is to put them in charge".

If they want me to take the same roll as the teacher, that is great, if not, I help out as they wish.

I am fully aware that in many of these classes, I am there to be an insurance policy for legal reasons since I have the credential, and that sometimes my presence is not even needed.

Just go with the flow.

14. bison

bison Habitué

Apr 1, 2012

I was going to mention special ed as well. Paras often do a lot in the classroom anyway, and changing the routines can be a major issue. It makes more sense and is easier for everyone if they run things and the sub helps out how they can. I've seen subs that take it too far though and don't do enough.

I totally see your point though, OP. I work in a variety of settings and get bored when I don't have enough to do. That's why I prefer elementary over high school. The kids are independent enough not to need me very much and I hate downtime!

15. mommafran

mommafran Companion

Apr 1, 2012

I didn't leave early!! I just thought about it but didn't actually do it. As for sharing the load she thought it was a good idea and even mentioned she "hates" teaching reading. I think my statements may have been misunderstood. I appreciate your input though and that is what makes this forums so great!!

16. mommafran

mommafran Companion

Apr 1, 2012

I sure did..... but next time I will be better prepared. I am new at the subbing thing and learning things all the time.

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 2, 2012

Back when I was subbing, I had those rare days too when the aides did it a lot & I didn't have to do much, so if I happened to sub in those types of classes, I think that's great! I'll let them do it. Subs don't have many days like that, so might as well make some easy money for a change.

18. Stacynva

Stacynva Rookie

Apr 29, 2012

I'm a roll with it kind. If I get into a class and the para wants to run it that is fine by me. Whatever makes the day work the best for the class. If I have good plans left and the para wants me to run the class that is fine also. I do go in assuming I will be the Teacher. The days that aren't so great are when the teachers don't leave good plans and I have to keep asking the para for help.