What kind of student were YOU??

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by collegeteach12, Sep 18, 2009.

1. collegeteach12

collegeteach12 Rookie

Sep 18, 2009

Just curious as to what kind of student everybody was back in their school days. I always find it entertaining to meet someone who said they were the trouble maker all the time become a teacher! :haha:

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 18, 2009

I was an angel. Although I did get my name written on the board once in fifth grade for leaving my math folder in the other room.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 18, 2009

I started a thread on this exact topic looong ago. I was pretty perfect. Private school from K-7th grade. Never cut class, never cheated, did as I was told, had fabulous attendance kindergarten through 8th grade & perfect attendance 9th- 12th grades. VP of the Spanish club, also in the Future Business Leaders of America club. As a senior, was a yearbook staff writer. Only dances I ever attended in my life were Valentine's Day dance in 7th & 8th grades & my senior prom. (Could have gone in 10th, but parents wouldn't let me date...my sr prom was my 1st date...w/ my church's pastor's son who I had liked for a looong time).

From pre-school through college, I never really raised my hand & spoke up in class. I sat back & listened. I just never wanted to cause attention to myself. If I was called on by the teacher, that was another thing, I said what I was supposed to say.

5. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 18, 2009

I am currently in college.

I am quiet. Never got into trouble. Always attempted to advocate for myself in HS/MS, but the school district would refuse to listen.

Low self-confidence, although it is slowly building back up through therapy.

6. BaseballGrl10

BaseballGrl10 Rookie

Sep 19, 2009

I was the good one that only got in trouble for passing notes. Hahaha. It was funny though, I told my master teacher yesterday that one of the other student teachers told me that we had an assignment do in our Classroom Management class last night and I didn't do it, I didn't know we were supposed to. I was all, "Ha, I get after my students for not doing their homework and I didn't even do mine!" Hahaha. :) Of course, I rush home, bust out a two page paper, print it, head to class only for the teacher to say, "Oh, your Interactive Journals I don't pick up until the end of the semester." I was all, "Seriously?!?" Hahaha. :)

7. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

Sep 19, 2009

I was a nerd and a goody-goody. Still am and proud of it.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 19, 2009

I was always quiet and got straight A's. I NEVER studied though. And I got my work done in 2 seconds. I also never listened to the teacher.

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 19, 2009

I was not a star behaved student. In Elementary school I was one of those students who couldn't stop talking and kept getting sent to the hallway. They put me in the gifted program which consisted of a group of students getting together with a teacher once in a while to discuss a book. I went but didn't participate because I could never buy the book. Junior high and high school I went to class 3 weeks out of every month and took a vacation week each month. Wrote my own excuse each time. Was bored to death in school. Never did homework or studied for tests. Well behaved when I was in school. I always knew I was going to be a teacher, though. As an adult I realized that I just didn't have any family support as a child but my own children were raised with different values.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2009

I was the quiet kid in the middle who rarely raised her hand, but who usually knew the right answer. I was middle-of-the pack in most of my honors classes.

Except, of course, in Precalc and Calc. I was SO intimidtated by the teacher (the same one for both courses) that I came close to failing both years. She was just mean, and I was too afraid to ask a question, or attempt extra help.

When Senior Cut Day rolled around, I ASKED MY PARENTS if I could cut. They agreed that, since I had been good for 12 years in school, it would be OK.

Then I came down with bronchitis, and spent Senior Cut Day in the ER. When school called, and they asked my mom whether my absence was legit or whether I was cutting, she was honest: She had given permission for me to cut, but we were on our way out the door to the hospital. The kids who had cut had to do a number of hours of service to the school to graduate-- I simply missed all my Senior Final Exams because I was so sick.

And the person I was as a student most definitely effected the kind of teacher I am. It effects my view on class participation, the way I teach difficult topics, and the way I deal with kids.

11. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Sep 19, 2009

During elementary school I was the perfect student. I went to Catholic school and nuns were very strict and I was very scared of them.

During Middle school I still was an A student but I started to become really annoying for teachers. I was the one that would always do the work, get good grades, but I would always raise my hand to question why things had to be done this way of the other. I would drive teachers crazy.

12. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2009

I was very quiet and well-behaved in class... smart but lazy. I rarely volunteered an answer, but always knew it; I *always* forgot to do my homework, but did well on the tests; and I never got in trouble until 11th grade, when I skipped class. And then pretty much skipped senior year :eek: It helps me relate to my students - I mean, seriously, there are a lot more interesting things in their lives right now than homework. Like boys! Girls! Gossip! I never yell at them for not doing their homework, just have a friendly little chat and if they still don't do it, I call home.

13. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2009

I was one of the "smart" ones, but I was also painfully shy. All the way through 6th grade, I'd cry in school if a teacher called on me, and I got very easily frustrated with difficult tasks (again, resulting in crying.). I was quiet, obedient, and always did my work. I got chosen for a lot of the special things - selling milk to the younger kids at lunch, CAC student rep, advanced classes, etc.

In middle school, I stopped crying at school, and thank goodness for that, because middle school kids would just have a field day with that! Still, the rest of my personality stayed pretty much the same.

In high school, I gained a lot of confidence under the guidance of some great teachers. I still am in contact with several of them. And by college, I was in a sorority, on it's executive board, living in a dorm where I knew no one, etc., etc., etc. But I was (and still am) a rule-follower. I'd be like Alice...not one to cut school or break rules.
    Kim

14. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Sep 19, 2009

I was always a good, quiet student. The one time I recall being "spoken to" was in 1st grade during indoor recess. My friend Kate and I were the princesses and our friends Sarah and Lauren were our servants. We made them drink from the water fountain, then we spun them around 3 times and squeezed their cheeks so the water sprayed out of their mouths.

15. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2009

The first and only time I played hooky was in kindergarten. When I was finally apprehended, (which must have been pretty easy, considering I was standing outside the school) and interrogated as to why I did it, I said it was because it was music day and I didn't like singing. My mom took that to mean I didn't like music. She could not have been more wrong. I loved music, and I loved to sing. I just hated the songs we had to sing at school. I wanted to sing the songs I heard on the radio by the Doors, the Beach Boys, and the Beatles. But instead we stood in a circle and sang "This Old Man" and "Old MacDonald" (which I actually thought were the same song) and it was all I could do to not run screaming from the room.

Halfway through third grade we moved from Napa to Sacramento. At my school in Napa, they didn't give homework (at least, I don't remember doing it). My teacher in Sacramento gave lots of homework. In my little 9 year old brain, I figured there was a grandfather clause that excused me from homework because I didn't have to do it at my previous school.

In 4th grade, I still wasn't doing homework. I also wasn't doing class work. Nor paying attention. I was, however, flunking tests. My teacher referred me for special ed. I remember taking an IQ test with the principal. "Why is he asking me all these really easy questions?" I thought. I found out later, I scored super high on the test. My parents likely got a letter -- "Your child doesn't appear to have any learning disability, he's just really weird."

In 5th grade, we all sat in groups. At one point however, I found myself in my own "cubicle" in the classroom. Actually a corner office with window. I loved it. As far as I was concerned, it was the other kids who were talking to me all the time and now I could finally get some work done.

16. collegeteach12

collegeteach12 Rookie

Sep 19, 2009

Thanks for sharing! It seems the majority of us were pretty good students. :p
    I was a good student also, I think I cried when I got home when I got a "point"(which caused me to miss out on lunch with the teacher-and it wasn't even my fault! Just in the wrong place at the wrong time :rolleyes:) in elementary school. That was the only time I can remember really getting in trouble

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2009

Sarge, my brother once cut kindergarten too.

The school called, asking why she hadn't called him in sick. She hung up the phone, and was about to load the 2 younger kids into the car and run out and search when the phone rang.

It was "Trainland." My brother had stopped by on the way to school, and gotten caught up in all there was to see. Fortunately there was someone there on the ball enough to realize that this 5 year old was alone, and they got his name and phone number out of him.

Mom knew then that it was going to be a LONG 13 years till high school graduation with my brother :)

18. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2009

Now, in sixth grade, my teacher was an absolute badass. His name was Mr. Wolfe (really). He flew gliders in WWII. He would pound on our desks if we weren't paying attention.

So I paid attention. And I got better grades. I ended up liking this teacher a lot.

19. ambritlit

ambritlit Companion

Sep 19, 2009

I loved, loved, loved school. I was a good student, but I stayed in trouble for talking. In first grade I was moved right next to the teacher's desk, then way in the back of the room by the coat racks, and finally out into the hall - because of my constant "visiting," as my teacher so delicately noted on my report card. When she moved me into the hall, I cried so loud that she had to move me back inside.

I was "gifted" and made good grades, skipped fourth grade, and did not fit well. It affected my self-confidence and I never made straight A's again because I was picked on so much (Everyone said "You think you're so smart, don't you?"). My mom was dying of cancer throughout my high school years, so my grades were good but not stellar. I made no college plans because I had to help my family.

As an adult, I have been diagnosed with ADHD and take medication. This explains a lot of my school behavior, as ADHD wasn't known at that time. It has also helped to curb the non-stop talking... LOL.

20. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Sep 19, 2009

I was smart and not challenged. Bored and in love with learning anyway. Quiet and, for better or worse, a teacher's pet LoL. I got a "strike" on the board once in 5th grade, and teared up. I was humiliated.

I loved to read, so when we were assigned one chapter in our books to read for homework, I would finish the whole book. Then the next day we had to do AWFUL "popcorn" reading where I had to listen to the other kids read what I had already read the day before, craaaaazy slow. I would tune out and then be embarrassed when I didn't know where we were when it was my turn. Thank goodness we have moved to guided reading groups, because I always SWORE I would not make my students suffer through popcorn reading!

21. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Sep 19, 2009

One, this is a great thread.

Two, I wasn't the most well-behaved, but I didn't cause trouble. I always did my own homework, never cheated, did all honors (except science jr/sr year), etc. Besides leaving for lunch as a jr (which was a big no-no), I only got in trouble once.

I was taking AP U.S. History 11th grade and my teacher was a middle-aged woman who had recently been divorced. Well anyways, one day in class she stated that the American Revolution and the War for Independence were the same thing. Now, besides the fact that I had already read in my text that they weren't, I learned in 8th grade that they weren't (even doing this huge project). Well, I raised my hand and told her she was wrong (but in a polite manner). To which she told me that I had no reason to speak and that I didn't deserve to be heard. So then I said that she didn't deserve to be teaching...which obviously led to me being sent out. My punishment was either 1) one day of out of school suspension (in school wasn't in existance) or 2) write a 1,000 word essay on respect. I choose number 2. But I drew a cartoon of my teacher holding a book titled something like "How Not to Teach" with the above caption, "A Picture's Worth 1000 Words." Needless to say, I got two days of out of school suspension.

22. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Sep 19, 2009

Oh and I should add that is was her terrible teaching that made me want to teach high school social studies.

23. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2009

talkative, read a lot, horrible with math, gifted, polite, independent, healthy, cheerful, friendly with anyone, somewhat athletic (softball and track in middle school), skipped classes if I didn't like the content or teacher, smoked with friends behind an outbuilding on campus, went to a lot of parties, once dumped all the frogs that were going to be disected the next day out the windows and freed them (I'm sorry.) Was not supervised very much by parents, who assumed I had the good sense to keep out of trouble and to take an interest in being educated. My idea of being educated and the traditional idea probably didn't match.

24. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 19, 2009

I followed the rules I thought were good rules. I never cheated, skipped or did anything illegal. I did put assignments off until the last minute (I remember writing many essays the day they were due in typing class...), flirt with boys until they practically gave me math answers (I still TRIED to follow what they said....), rebelled again stupid rules like not dressing up for Halloween (I was Britney Spears-I looked like a freshman....), tucked novels behind my textbooks (many great endings were lost to me when the books were taken away....), etc. Not many friends in elementary, as we moved mid-way through. Tons of band-geek friends in middle school and high school. We moved to a tiny high school my sophomore year (58 in my class) and we were TIGHT. We made all sorts of non-trouble. Wrote crazy newspaper articles, put scandalous items on our spirit boards (who DIDN'T want to see a player from the other team branded on his arse? WE did!!!), chose Alice Cooper's 'School's Out for the Summer' as our senior song, etc. Just really good non-trouble. And I miss it. Grades weren't important to me at all. I was basically a B/C student. My parents would make me pay car insurance if I got a C that semester, and I had to pay every time. I would rather research palm reading or cartoon lyrics from the 80's or plan a road trip down Route66. These interests have served me well in life-I'm a jack of all trades, master of none. And I love that life!

I must add that I'm not a B/C student, REALLY. I know the information and content. Sometimes I'm amazed at how much I know, in a modest sense. History, math, science-I knew it all. I just didn't have time for the silly busy work of school. I lived for projects and presentations. My senior paper for AP English was a Real-World script using all the characters we had read about that year. Holden from Catcher in the Rye, Hamlet, Meursault from The Stranger, etc. all lived in a house together. My AP teacher laughed so hard there were tear marks on the paper when I got it back. I was a master at desktop publishing and helped produce the newspaper. I was drum major in band, etc. I just couldn't get the math at ALL (couldn't do AP math, which bit me in the butt in college), and science was a huge struggle. I wish my teachers had known about multiple intelligences.

25. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 20, 2009

I never thought I was great in school, but my former principal also happened to be my second grade teacher and he thought I was a good kid... however, I remember cheating on spelling tests in third grade. My mom had to come in to school and whatever happened made me cry and they started to send me to the school counselor.

In 5th/6th grade I was at a Catholic school and had to leave, as I was very ADHD and I think I got bad grades or something.

In 8th grade I got in a fight with a boy (I punched him in the eye) and I also did all sorts of other naughty things!!!

I tested very high on this test though, and in 9th grade went to a very prestigious private school. However, in homeroom, I punched another boy, knocked him out and had to be removed from that homeroom. I was placed in a "special" homeroom with the principal... the homeroom was ungraded and basically was all of the misfits... smart, but sassy kids. I remember the principal telling my mom I could go to Harvard, Yale or Vassar, and could be a supreme court judge someday. Someone had some faith in me, but I sure acted out!

I switched schools (my choice) and in 10th grade went to a very urban arts oriented prep school in the city. I started smoking pot, and actually took my PSATs completely stoned. Amazingly I still did well on them! I always got straight A's! However, I was very outspoken in all my classes (always, even when I was little) and this made me a bit of a loud-mouth.

After 10th grade, I moved to a very small town where my dad lived and ended up doing running start. I went to college for my HS and AA, transfered and graduated college magna cum laude. I ended up okay, but I was not the easiest student to have in class. By college I learned to shut up a bit more, and was not fighting off any more boys!!! (I never liked boys, even in HS, I just didn't know why!)

26. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Sep 20, 2009

I was in all honors/ap in high school except for math. I hated math. I had a good teacher, but my school's math department was more concerned with finishing the textbook. I got As and Bs. I had around an A- average. I always did my homework. I was a swimmer and invloved in every club. I started to like math during Algebra II, then I got a math teacher who called us "Space Cadets" and claimed I would never use this again. Now I teach Algebra I, boy was I wrong.

27. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Sep 21, 2009

From PreK-8th I was super well behaved, in all GT classes, always teacher's pet etc etc..... Then 2 things happened, hormones and my parent's divorce. My freshman year of HS I went from all A GT student to HS dropout/flunkie......total bad@$$, getting into fights, smoking behind the school, skipping, until I finally dropped out. Repeated my freshman year and yep - did the exact same thing! Only worse now because my friends were old enough to drive!

Long story but I eventually entered the district's new alternative center (NOT a discp. center) for dropouts and finished all 4 years of HS in a year and a half. I did graduate on time and started college immediately thereafter.

28. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Sep 21, 2009

Wow! The roads we take to get to teaching.....

29. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Sep 21, 2009

Nice christian girl, jovial, life of the party, cool, and not much with the in-crowd.