What kind of school work do you do over the summer?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by waterfall, May 30, 2011.

1. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 30, 2011

What kinds of things do you do over the summer that make your year easier?

We're getting a new school building, so I have to pack up my classroom by the day after school gets out and all of my boxes will be moved to the new school. I won't have access until about 2-3 weeks before school starts.

I can take things home with me instead if there's something I decide I want to do over the summer, but I don't have a basement or extra storage so it can't be a ton of stuff.

I've heard a lot of teachers mentioning getting work done during the summer to ease the stress of the year- but what exactly are you able to get done?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 30, 2011

I usually take home my teacher editions and work on mapping out my units over the course of the year. This summer, I am planning on looking at the common core standards with what I already teach and breaking them down into grading periods based on what I teach.

I am also planning to rewrite many of my math notes for the new year. We adopted a new curriculum last year for math and I don't particularly like how my math notes were written by the publisher. I want to make them more student centered.

I also plan to make my reading lessons more student centered. As well as reading and writing checklists of skills for me to know who has mastered what with the new standards.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 30, 2011

That's going to depend on what I end up teaching next year.

If it's Algebra and/or geometry, I'll have very little prep to do.

But anything else, I haven't taught in at least 11 years. So I'll have to re-do my notes to allign with the changes that have been made to the syllabus since then.

I'm also planning to work on a web page for my classes... I'm looking forward to having the time to play with that.

I always map out an entire year for each of my preps, since our trimesters end with Christmas and Easter and change in length every year.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 30, 2011

Alice, if your trimesters change in length---do your trimester exams change each year?

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 30, 2011

I do my big planning over the summer. I create my curriculum map for the year, revamp any unit that needs it, try to find some new pieces of literature or new writing prompts to play with.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 30, 2011

Oh, yes, absolutely.

The kids leave the room with the questions. Even if the material was exactly the same, we would give a different exam each year.

I don't even give the same test to two consecutive classes; there's no way I would recycle an exam even if it were allowed-- and trust me, it's not.

8. janney

janney Cohort

May 30, 2011

Last year I went through my math TEs and created a calendar for the year that alligned with the district timelines. This year I am bringing home my LA TEs to study. I will also create some new math and LA stations. If I have time I want to try to put all of my subject calendars together into one so I can better plan integrated lessons. I will also be getting all of my first week of school things done like welcome packets and student binders and nametags.

I like to use the summer for planning so when I get back into the classroom I can just set up and go.

9. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

May 30, 2011

It's going to depend on what I'm teaching next year! I don't even know what technology will be in the classroom. I did ask about a doc camera as my lessons are on my flash drive. I hope the room is wifi and I have a laptop. But, if not I will print out my lesson plans (if I get to use them) I was hired to teach resource....but since it's in a different state I'm not sure what to expect. My favorite thing to teach is writing and reading. I bought a RTI book that I'm going to read this summer. And, I have to take another praxis...so that will be summer fun too!!! I still smell those magnolias....even though I know it's in my head! Moving day is getting close!

10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 30, 2011

This summer I'll be working on my Moodle and writing lesson plans.

11. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 30, 2011

I have no idea :( Word has it one of us is being transferred - or let go!! Numbers aren't in yet, but my P has been hinting....

Honestly, I've had a tough year. Great kids, great school, great admin, but I don't think I'm cut out for teaching, I really don't. Three years in, and I still struggle. I'm just a natural-born procrastinator, and I tend to be disorganized. :(

If I'm let go I will take it as a sign (but I think it'll be a RIF scenario, not fired, thankfully!) I would imagine if I were to be fired I'd know a LOT sooner than 8 days before the end.

Sorry for rambling....

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 30, 2011

Not much because we have to pack everything up. I would like to work on plans, but, like I said, I won't have access to the TEs. Maybe I can ask my coordinator and work something out.

13. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 30, 2011

I also wish I could take the TE's home-especially since we are using a new reading program-but they pick those up before the end of the year.

I usually spend a lot of time online looking for new ideas for projects or lessons. There's not a lot of actual planning I can do until I see the district curriculum-it seems to change every year.

Last summer I started going through the books I use for read-alouds and identifying vocab words and comprehension questions-I wrote those right inside the cover so I'd have them when I pulled it out to read. I didn't get very far-so that's on my list for this year.

14. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

May 30, 2011

Pisces... wishing you luck:)

15. MrsLilHen

MrsLilHen Comrade

May 30, 2011

I'm going back to my classroom this fall. After 20 months on leave... I feel like I have a ton to do... But I also want to soak up the last of my stay at home mommy time.

I usually work on organizing computer stuff, my web page, mapping out new units or re mapping out to stay fresh. Sometimes a friend and I will work on a specific project.... Getting the grading guidelines in order, etc. But I don't think I'll do that this year.

This thread is making me feel like I need to get busy!!!! So much to do. The only way I'm going to survive going back to work with three kids at home is to get a running start with my organizing!!!!!

Sorry for iPod typos! I'm rocking the baby!

16. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

May 30, 2011

I am moving to a new grade and a new school so it's been fun... had to pack up all of the stuff from my old school and put their stuff in the grade level storage room and bring all of my stuff (which was most of the stuff that I had in the room) home and to our storage building. Currently my upstairs looks like a moving van exploded and the downstairs isn't much better.

I have pulled the rubrics and report card skills list so I can put together all of my activities by quarter to try and make it easier.

I am also going to try and get a better checkout system for my library corner. As soon as I can get to school box I plan to get pockets for the back of the books and put a copy of the same tag that I put on the front to make it easier to keep up with them.

17. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 31, 2011

I am always revamping, rethinking and adding to the courses I teach. I teach APUSH and AP Euro so I spend a lot of time going over my syllabus, looking at my test scores, trying to improve the way I teach these courses. I do a ton of reading for these courses also. Like other posters, I spend lots of time looking for lessons, activities and projects online.

One very sad thing for me this summer is that for the first time ever, we won't be able to get into the building due to construction. I am actually have mild anxiety attacks about this :) We have always had unlimited access to our classrooms in the summer and I really took advantage to clean, reorganize, and work in my room. I have never had to cart anything home because I could always run up to my room anytime. Now, I have to think about what I will need at home and what I will need to pack up to take home. I am sure I will forget something (which is causing part of my anxiety attack). So, this summer will be very different for me.

I really enjoy the time I have over the summer to reflect on the previous year.

18. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 31, 2011

Me too!

19. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 31, 2011

We have trainings all through the summer, but I will also be reading a few professional books. We are supposed to have them read by the time we're back on contract.

Our school is also the first school they wax in the district. It's rough because we have 1 day after school is out to pack everything away. It's great because we're the first school that is open to set up for next year.

I also teach summer school in late July, so that gives me an excuse to put together my room and work on little projects in the afternoons. However, I'm taking a 2 week trip about when the school will be reopened for teachers. That will give me 3 days to get everything ready for summer school. I'm sure one of those days I will be sleeping in!

20. Bioguru

Bioguru Companion

May 31, 2011

I will spend this summer tweaking my curriculum for the upcoming EOC test in biology. In physics, I won't be making many changes; I just had a very good year as far as student achievement and I feel really good about how this year turned out. The only big changes I will be making are the addition of new lab exercises in biology and changing some existing ones in physics.

21. cmw

cmw Groupie

May 31, 2011

I like to do a ton of reading on curriculum & classroom management. I will especially be focused on choir techniques & improving my piano skills. This summer I will be revising all my lessons. Rumor has it I will be teaching some sections with 7th or 8th graders next year. That will take serious planning. :eek:hmy: I also will be taking some classes toward my license renewal. I can't wait to get started! :D

22. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Jun 1, 2011

That must be nice. We take citywide tests, where every kid in the course takes the exact same exam. And it's been the same exam for the last 6 years. And they never make corrections-so it's the same mistakes for the last 6 years.

23. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Jun 1, 2011

I redo my Powerpoints, redo my curriculum for my theatre and AP classes. I am trying to write a grammar book for my AP kids for next year--not really a book, but a collection of grammar activities that we can do throughout the year so I don't have to put them together every week. I also plan my theatre season, I usually take classes, and I read books for AP and plays for Theatre. My husband thinks I have a vacation. Ha! I do try to catch up on the movies I missed, and my sleep.

24. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 1, 2011

Honestly, at little as possible. I already have a huge to do list of things I want to do with my family, BF, and around the house. I give enough of my time here during the school year.

I will do 2 days in the summer of workshops because we can trade them for days within the year. And if I get a new course (they are adding 6 electives to the English department) then I will have to do some planning for that. But they have already told us that to cut energy costs, we will not be allowed in our classrooms this summer (which is ridiculous because we don't have AC anyway, so it would only be the lights, which we usually leave off in the summer anyway because it is too hot).

25. applecore

applecore Devotee

Jun 1, 2011

I was wondering when someone was going to say "Work? What work?"...and thankful silverspoon said what I was thinking...LOL :)

Last summer I was already working on things for the next year at this time...and worked all summer long.

This summer? I'm chillin' and reflecting. I did bring home ALL my TE's and have tons of notes written down for things to decorate, do, or try for next year----why I haunt this website too ;)

Besides, I can't go into my classroom until August any ways while the floors get waxed and shampooed, and the walls get repainted.

I did leave a categorized list of things to do taped to my desk for when I get back. Thankfully I did have a little bit more of an insight to do that this year. :)

(And at this very moment I'm holding my proverbial breath until July when we are supposed to get our teaching contracts for next year in the mail...I'm praying mine wil come instead of a pink slip that says RIF.)

26. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jun 1, 2011

I read. A lot! I usually reread the First Six Weeks of School and bring home my plans from last year to revamp. I might be switched to K next year so that would be a lot more work but I try to brush up on my units of study etc.

27. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Jun 1, 2011

I am going to be spending a lot of the summer adapting my curriculum to my new technologies. I am going to try to pick a class a month and convert worksheets and quizzes to computerized versions. I teach six different classes, so this will only get me about 1/2 through, but it is something I don't have to worry about during the school year.
    Requisitions for supplies are due June 30th.

28. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 1, 2011

Hit rummage sales for games, books, chairs, rugs, lamps, artificial plants, snowpants, mittens, hats, LEGOS, you name it!

Make pacing guides for each subject

Create lesson plan template on Word

go thru Word documents and tweak, delete, add, organize into folders

Reread Daily 5, CAFE, 1st 6 weeks of school

Use cri-cut for names, words, calendar cutouts, etc.

29. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jun 1, 2011

I am going to at least two different trainings regarding integrating arts. I will be reading through the entire curriculum for the grade that I will be teaching for the first time in 11 years next year. I put together basic classroom stuff like name tags when close to next year. I will outline a yearlong calendar. I read various books.