What kind of psychological testing must a person pass to be a teacher?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by PaladinCatholic, Sep 10, 2009.

1. PaladinCatholic

PaladinCatholic New Member

Sep 10, 2009

Hi everyone. I am a 27 year old female from the United States of America. I live in Indiana. Anyway, I have a couple of mental disorders. I have borderline personality disorder, major depression, anxiety disorder, and adult ADHD. I am medicated for all of these disorders and the treatment is mostly successful. My question is, would I pass a psychological screening to be a teacher with these disorders? :confused:

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :thumb:

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 10, 2009

There wasn't any in my state... of course, we get to claim Mary Kay Latourneau, so...

I wouldn't be telling parents or admin about these things as long as they are under control. I know of teachers with depression and things like that. it depends on HOW much they effect your life on a day to day basis.

4. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Sep 10, 2009

There is no psychological screening in Texas...I don't know if there really is in any state.

If you're able to attend college, complete your courses, and participate in multiple field experiences including student teaching...successfully...I think you're "stable" enough to enter the professional workforce.

5. Genmai

Genmai Companion

Sep 10, 2009

Paladin,

Teaching is often a stressful job and isn't for the weak of heart. Even the toughest person is often humbled by the trying, unpredictable, miserable and unfair circumstances that most teachers encounter. IF you have serious conditions like major depression, anxiety disorders, etc., you really, really should reconsider entering the field. The last thing you want is a job that will *exacerbate* your conditions. Unlike what you may learn in education school, much of teaching involves onerous non-teaching issues that often push a lot of us to eventually leave the profession. This isn't a walk in the park.

6. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Sep 10, 2009

Paladin

I have ADSHD, dyslexia and an anxiety disorder. I am well medicated for only the AD, not the ADHSD. I manage and am actually very successful with my students. I think that if you truly love teaching, you'll be fine.

7. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Sep 10, 2009

There is no testing that I know of in Illinois. A lot depends on your ability to take stress. If stress triggers your depression then I would think really hard about teaching. I know for me, stress is a trigger and I needed a major mediciation/treatment adjustment my first year.

8. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2009

In teaching it's mainly sink or swim. You can have all the mental illnesses in the world, but if they don't affect your teaching, then you're good to go.

9. Groovy

Groovy Companion

Sep 10, 2009

If the medication works to the point where these issues do not affect your work, fine. But how many parents want their children taught by someone who is anxious, depressed, and borderline personality disordered?

Not trying to be disrespectful, but if you tell one person, it won't be long before every parent wants their kid out of your class. No need to talk about it if it does not affect your work. I think we still have HIPA (HIPPA?) laws in effect.

Best to you.

10. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2009

I agree that your mental condition needn't come into play at work. If, however, you find that it does become a problem with doing a professional job, I would think you'd see a doctor just as any of us would if we felt we needed medical help. BTW---ADHD isn't a mental disorder. There are no psychological tests administered in my state either but the sheer pressures of the day-to-day duties of being a teacher could be stressful to anyone and thus, the job itself is not for people who don't have the capabilities to withstand pressure. With this said, keep in mind that most teacher prep programs are rigorous and challenging. By the time you make it through your program successfully and are ready for your student teaching, you should be ready to handle the job. I knew of some people who dropped out during their education courses because they couldn't deal with it. Teaching wasn't something they would have enjoyed so that's good. Teacher prep programs are pretty good at weeding out people who wouldn't do well at the job. Teaching isn't for everyone. I teach because it's what I enjoy. I like the demands and challenges. Makes me feel as if I've accomplished something every day. It's hard work but it's good work.

11. lareed

lareed Companion

Sep 10, 2009

I went to school and currently work in Indiana and there were no such tests...other than the kiddos testing you!

12. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Sep 10, 2009

The psychological test you must perform in any state (or in my case, province) can be quite simple or it can be excruciating... it depends on the person performing the psychological test... some seem to have the goal of making you break, and some are like a walk in the park (and not a creepy park at night with serial killers... a nice friendly park... with raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens)

The name of the psychological test that is administered? An interview.

Best of luck with all your testing!

13. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Sep 10, 2009

:rofl:

No kiddin'!

14. PaladinCatholic

PaladinCatholic New Member

Sep 10, 2009

Thanks everyone for your advice. I am not sure if I could handle the stress of a teaching job or not. So I guess I'll have to reconsider this field of work.

15. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 10, 2009

HIPPA and ADA would apply.

Try it.

I have social phobia and ADHD, and i'm an education major.

If you want to do it, try it out. You aren't limited by your labels, you are limited by what you think limits you.

16. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2009

:yeahthat: Could you do some serious volunteer work in a school to see if you can handle the stress?

17. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2009

Besides, a lot of people say that if you aren't already crazy when you become a teacher, you will eventually end up as such before too long.

So any pre-existing mental conditions don't really matter that much in the end.

18. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2009

Don't let people's warnings scare you away. Teaching has a different effect on different people. I personally don't get stressed.

19. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Sep 11, 2009

I think beckysuek's suggestion is excellent. See if you can volunteer at a school, and then you'll have a bit of a better idea.

20. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 11, 2009

I think volunteering in schools before teaching is an excellent idea for *anyone* who wants to be a teacher, but like Sarge said, don't let people scare you away. I'd like to know one "professional" job in the world that isn't stressful.

21. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Sep 11, 2009

haha :lol:

To the OP: I agree you should def try to get into as many different schools and classrooms and grade levels as possible at as many different times too throughout the year. Or if you already know what grade you love try volunteering in that classroom on a schedule for at least a few weeks- observe and get to know what it is like- maybe even seeing different times of the day if possible. Mix it up so you get to see everything! Good luck. Only you know if teaching is for you- don't let anyone convince you it is not for you or it is for you. Only you know. Good luck!

22. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2009

Sorry, but I have to agree. It really can be trying. It's a great job and I certainly don't think mental illness no more than physical illness will preclude you from becoming a teacher. But please talk to some teachers first and think about how you specific problems would work with the teaching field.

If for some reason you can't handle stress very well, I'd say teaching isn't the field for you. But that could be anyone, mental illness or not.

23. TeaRoses4M&D

TeaRoses4M&D Rookie

Sep 12, 2009

I agree!

24. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2009

I am sorry that you have all of the above.
    It sounds like you would snap, if you are not under medication.
    I hope you will be able to get through it all and persue teaching,
    IF it is what YOU want.
    Rebel1

25. Sam Aye M

Sam Aye M Mr. Know-It-All

Sep 12, 2009

I just want to clarify the bolded text above... according to DSM-IV-TR, ADHD IS a mental disorder, (314.01 Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder) and to deny that it is, is really doing a disservice to those who struggle to manage it, as well as those who have learned to manage it successfully in their lives. Is it a debilitating mental disorder? No, at least it doesn't have to be. I'm not going to go on and discuss whether adults/kids should be medicated for it, or whether therapy or behavioral procedures should be used instead, as these are very personal decisions that are best left to those who are affected by it. Nor am I going to rant about whether it is over-diagnosed or under-diagnosed, etc. Just, please don't tell people who may be struggling with it that it is not a mental disorder. It can be both quite insulting to them, and also potentially harmful.

/stepping off soapbox

26. Sam Aye M

Sam Aye M Mr. Know-It-All

Sep 12, 2009

Paladin,

I think there is some great advice in this thread. Don't quit on your dream yet. As others have stated, try volunteering at schools, or visiting schools, and talking with current or former teachers, and then make an educated decision on whether teaching may suit you. Teaching can be a very stressful job, but it is not unmanageable. I would also talk with your physician and/or psychologist, and see if they have any insight for you. You've already taken the first step by asking teachers here on this message board for their honest opinions, but don't stop yet. Ask around, visit schools, talk to professionals, then make the best, educated decision that you can, one that suits you. Teaching may not be suited for you. Then again, it may be just what you need.

Good luck.