What kind of prep time do you get before school starts?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by midwestteacher, Aug 20, 2009.

1. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Aug 20, 2009

I think we really got taken advantage of this year. Regular teachers went back to school on Monday. Monday and Tuesday were workdays and students were back at school on Wednesday. We were in various meetings much of Monday and Tuesday and actually only got a grand total of 3 hours and 50 minutes to work on getting ready for school. Our contract day is 8:00 to 3:30 and most teachers were there last week, this week early, and late this week just to try to get ready for the kids. How many days do you get (and get paid for) to prepare for the return of students? How much of that time is actually classroom work time?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2009

We get about 45 minutes of classroom time before Freshman Orientation begins. During orientation, it depends on the level you teach... frosh teachers have a LOT LESS time than anyone else, and their rooms must be done before the program starts. (I'll have a frosh homeroom, and I'll miss the whole week of orientation for surgery. So I'm going in next week.)

Of course, there is July and August.

4. dovian

dovian Comrade

Aug 20, 2009

We have 4 days before the kids show up, and it works out to be about 1 day's worth of room setup and 3 of meetings and nonsense. These 4 days are in our contract, all paid. Probably I will spend some afterschool time getting set up, too, but I (hopefully) don't have too much to do, just make a million copies and rehang my paper. In general I try not to go in at all during the summer, and it was made clear to us this year that the building wouldn't be available. Plus they take our keys, so you could wind up going all the way down there and not being able to get in because everyone's out of the building or whatever.

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2009

We have meetings at school on Tuesday and Wednesday is our prep day; students are back on Thursday. Many of us have been in this week because the office is open and we can get into the buildings; I've spent a few hours in my room every day since last Friday.

6. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 20, 2009

we get one full work day of no scheduled meetings and then we have classroom work time for a few hours here and there when meetings are not going on. I will be going in the week before we return to work on getting things set up.

7. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 20, 2009

Oh I forgot to mention, our first week back is the week of the 31st. We're contracted Mon-Thurs.

8. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2009

We go back next Tuesday. No paid time to work in our rooms. We have meetings all day on Tuesday and kids on Weds. If we need to prep our rooms it's all on our own time.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2009

Teachers went back on Wednesday. Students start on Monday.

Wednesday was spent almost entirely in meetings. I had about an hour to work on/in my room.

Thursday (today) was set aside entirely as a whole day to work in/on our classrooms...except for foreign language teachers (me) who had to attend a district inservice at a school across town. I had about an hour in my room today after that meeting.

Friday is back-to-back meetings. There is about 45 minutes set aside for working in/on our classrooms, but I won't get them for myself. :( I was "volunteered" by my DC to help another teacher set up and learn how to use his new Promethean board (which I'm happy to do....I just wish I could do it next week!). I also have to attend a meeting regarding a special mentoring course I'm doing this year.

I'll have had about two hours in my room before students arrive on Monday. Anything I need to do beyond that has to happen on my own time. *sighs*

10. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Aug 21, 2009

Good luck with your surgery, Alice!

11. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Aug 21, 2009

Cassie, good luck with that! I hope Monday goes well, too!

We go in Tuesday, 9/1 for a teacher workday. We'll have an all staff meeting in the morning, and then our department meeting. The afternoon we should get for our rooms. Students come in on Wednesday. I've got five more hours of paid curriculum work, though, so I'm going in next Tuesday for that, and will probably stay later in order to get my room set up a bit.

12. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 21, 2009

We've been back all week (kids come next week).
    On Monday, we had a total work day to set up our rooms.

On Tuesday, we had computer training in the morning and met the new students to our campus at computer camp in the afternoon.

On Wednesday, we had district convocation in the morning and worked in our teams for planning in the afternoon.

On Thursday, we were allowed to work with our teams all day.
    If we didn't need to, we were allowed to work on our own.

Today, we have some mandated district policy stuff to do.

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2009

We are on salary--don't get paid any extra for time we do (or don't) spend planning during the summer or setting up in our rooms. This is the first year when we will have 2 mandatory days before school starts; in previous years we are free to come and go as we wish during the week before school starts to prep and set up.

14. SciTeacherNY

SciTeacherNY Companion

Aug 23, 2009

We have meetings Wed and Thurs (first of Sept) with minimal to no time to set up our rooms. The kids come back the day after Labor Day.

15. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Aug 27, 2009

I got two and a half months. It was wonderful! :p

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2009

Same here, though I didn't get a whole lot of prep done. But the fact remains that I COULD have, had I chosen to do so.