What kind of note is most useful after having a sub for a week?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by CrayolaCrayon, Nov 12, 2012.

1. CrayolaCrayon

CrayolaCrayon Companion

Nov 12, 2012

Do you prefer a day-by-day run through, or it to be organized by subject?

Just wondering what is easier for teachers to come back to! :)

3. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Nov 12, 2012

I just want to know what was done or not done for each lesson. I also want to know if there were any major behavior issues. A sub can tell me about the minor things that come up, but I expect those to be dealt with as they occur.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Nov 12, 2012

I sub most of the time at least one week at a time. I usually follow the teacher's lead.
    These 2 weeks we have a weird schedule. The days alternate English (M) - Math(T), English and Math,(W) English (TH) - Math (F). The activities are often separate, they don't necessarily build on each other, so I leave a quick / day note. I don't think the teacher really wants to know exactly what happened every day (especially after 2 weeks the first day seems like years ago), I just touch on if we covered everything, what left put, why, and what extra we did.

If the teacher has me cover a couple of sections from the textbook, then I go by subject, not by day.

Also: behaviorally I always handle everything, so in my notes I just say 'we had no major issues, whatever small issues did happen, they had been dealt with'. I don't want the teacher coming back having to deal with things that happened when he wasn't even there. And to assign a consequence after a week it happened is pointless. I want my teacher to come back and not have anything extra to worry about. So I grade everything, organize everything and leave notes on everything important so there are no questions.

5. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Nov 12, 2012

$50 ?

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Nov 12, 2012

I think that should be the other way around, the teacher to tip the sub $50. :)

Actually that happened to me. A teacher at my school often walks around and commits 'random acts of kindness'. Sometime he pulls out a $20 on a Friday and hands it to me saying: go have fun tonight, you work very hard. Or he told me to pick a number 1-10. I said 9, he gave me $20. Another teacher said 5, gave him a $10 :) He also walks around during lunch and hands each teacher a piece of chocolate, you gotta love him lol.

7. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Nov 12, 2012

I always prefer when the sub jots notes on each day. We leave detailed plans that go day by day/subject by subject and I leave room for them to jot down notes.

8. bondo

bondo Cohort

Nov 12, 2012

:yeahthat:

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 12, 2012

If you've subbed all week, most people don't have time to read a whole page of your comments for each day you subbed. That's 5 pages! Just mention the main aspects:

- What was done/where you left off

- Only mention something that wasn't done if the teacher wanted you to do it, but you didn't have a chance & write the reason why you didn't get to it.

- Write names of kids who behaved exceptionally well overall all week AND kids who misbehaved for the most part.

- Any unique/unusual events

- Anyone you had to send to the office/nurse/somewhere unusual & WHY

- If you want to sub for that teacher again, express your desire at the end of your note. If you never want to see any of those kids' faces again, just end it with, "Thank you, (your name)"

10. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Nov 12, 2012

I absolutely love it when a sub leaves me details about what happened when I've been gone. Many leave very brief and general notes which is frustrating.

Organization is always a good plus, but that is minor compared to the detail. Since you asked though, I would rather have a day to day run-through than one with every subject. I especially appreciate any specifics in behavior. I don't want to hear most of the students were good, but then have no information on which ones were not.

The fact that you are asking this question shows a lot about your concern as a sub. I wish you could be my sub.

11. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Nov 12, 2012

If I was out for a week, I would trust that the sub handled the day to day minor things. I would want a 'big picture' overview of the week - what got done, who had major issues, any parent contact that had been made throughout the week, etc.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 12, 2012

Ditto.

Honestly, I'd be happy with just about any note left by the sub.

13. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Nov 13, 2012

I want to know, in detail, any behavior issues. I bust kids when I return if they behaved poorly for a sub so I want to know exactly what happened. In regards to instruction, just brief notes per class on what did/didn't get finished. I really do care more about behavior.

I had a sub last year when I was out for half a day, leave me 4 pages of hand written, single spaced, notes. I would love to say they were detailed, but they droned on and on about how he can use subbing for me in his own classroom someday. There were behavior issues, but rather than telling me specifically what happened, he wanted me to tell him how to handle it the problems. Come on. He's the sub, it is up to him to handle the issues when I'm not in the room. I needed to discipline the kids who acted up, but I simply couldn't because his notes on what they did weren't specific. I cringe when I know he's going to be subbing for me.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 13, 2012

I had a similar experience with a sub many years ago. He left me a lengthy note telling me that one particular class was awful. Instead of giving me specifics, he wrote about how the format of that particular class was ineffective and the class itself was useless. The class was a mentorship class that I had been given that year--everything we did in that class was dictated directly by admin and I had no choices about anything. I agreed with the guy a little, but it wasn't really his place to be critical of my class when that was not his job, none of his business, and I couldn't do anything about it anyway.

15. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 13, 2012

I did a few sub jobs that were a week long. I always just jotted down the day and some of the highlights and where we left off.

I know one week I subbed and they weren't sure if it'd be for the entire week, so I just left notes every day. I think I knew Wednesday I'd be there for the rest of the week... so I continued on my daily note leaving journey!!!

16. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Nov 13, 2012

Instead of giving me specifics, he wrote about how the format of that particular class was ineffective and the class itself was useless.

This is an excellent point. When leaving notes as a sub, don't put down opinions--just facts.

17. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Nov 13, 2012

Yes, it's best to avoid any judgment. When you sub, you have to consider that the teacher cares about those students, so to say horrible things about them would almost feel like insulting the teacher's ow kids. It's better to be matter of fact.

I'm finishing up my 2 weeks assignment this Friday, and although I am leaving day-to-day notes, (3 periods / day) they're very short, the whole thing will be less than 2 pages, double spaced. (easy to read). I won't leave any notes about specific students, because in this case it really won't be important. Whoever I had an issue with had their consequences, and even apologized since then and had a complete turn around, so the teacher will not need to handle anything.

18. CrayolaCrayon

CrayolaCrayon Companion

Nov 18, 2012

Thank you for the responses. This is my first longer term subbing job and I want to leave things as organized as possible. The teacher was said to possibly return on Monday, so on Friday, I left a handwritten note and then attached a printed list of what we did in each subject. I made a template so each subject is in a box. I took all of your advice and decided to just put what is most important. On the bottom of the page, I typed up some important notes over the last two weeks. Notices that went home are stacked in one piled, notices for the teacher are in another, and handouts the class completed are in a third pile. The class book we made is also on her desk.