what kind of new computer would you buy?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Upsadaisy, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 4, 2006

I went to Office Depot because they had a good sale this weekend. Since my computer has been acting like a psychopath, I splurged ;) and got a Compaq Presario with a Lightscribe drive. I really don't know what that is, but I have it. That's how I felt about the whole spiel the salesguy gave me. I just kept nodding and smiling.

Do you think I made a good choice? I often make impulsive decisions and this was one of them.

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 4, 2006

I couldn't tell you if you made a good choice. I used a compaq (a laptop) at my old job for 3 years and did not have any problems with it. My neighbor has a Compaq and loves it.

I have a Toshiba laptop now and for some reason it will click back to the previous page and I will lose what I have written.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 4, 2006

Proud, what might be happening is that, as you type, you're accidentally hitting one of the function keys above the number keys, or a key next to the DELETE or TAB key, or something of the like, and the function associated with that key is the page-back function. What have you done next, and what happens?

As for me, I like my Mac PowerBook...

5. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Sep 4, 2006

I've known a few people who've owned the Compaq Presario and weren't overly impressed with it, which is why I went with a HP system last summer instead of the Presario as I originally intended.

I guess time will tell as to how well yours runs and if you truly like it.

6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 4, 2006

I know of several people with Compaqs who swear by them. I've got a Dell and while I don't love their support people, I have no problems with the system.
    Proud, I have problems typing on my laptop (a Howard...never heard of them before, school bought it) at school. I know what causes mine though. I don't hold my hands the way I am supposed to on the keyboard (the heels of my hands rest on the desk) so on the laptop, I end up hitting the sensor pad and jumping around in the document. I growl, delete, go back. Still a pain. I know that if I hit the alt or ctrl (not sure which) right when I hit it, then it deletes everything (ctrl z or undo fixes it though).

7. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 4, 2006

Oh, I meant to add, my best friend's daughter has an HP and is having a lot of trouble with it. My sister bought one and it didn't last more than 3 years. I've heard some horror stories on them. But you know, chances are, if you ask enough, you're going to hear horror stories on them all. My cousin works with computers and told me, they are all basically the same, just a different name on the box. Just make sure you get the processor, hard drive, and ram that you want. My Gateway (snarl) lasted about 5 years, I've had this one 3 and plan on it lasting many many more years. The next time I go to buy, though, I'll be giving D a call! :)

8. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 4, 2006

Aren't Compaq and HP the same company now?

I agree I love my mac powerbook. Although I do accidently hit something that makes it go back too when I type. It is by the cap locks but I don't know which button I accidenlty hit...

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 4, 2006

Yes, I think they are the same company now. I'm having trouble getting used to this flat keyboard. I used to have a curved one.
    My sister said she has the Compaq Presario and said it's just okay. We'll see.

School is sending me to some technology training that will give me a laptop and ipod and something else. I will only have to attend a couple of sessions a year and make a presentation, I think. It must be through the local school district. The goal is to increase the use of technology in the classroom.

10. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 4, 2006

We are having some of those trainings. I have the laptop since I am the tech coord. and webmaster, I am attending 2 classes in the next couple of months that will give me a digital camera and a palm pilot.

11. jeepfan531

jeepfan531 Rookie

Sep 4, 2006

I have an old Compaq Presario that I have moved to my classroom and it works great. It was really bogging down with all the Internet security software on it and I thought it was dying but I wiped it clean to see what it would do. Now, it is just there for the kids to type papers on as needed. I do not have it connected to the Internet and it acts like a new machine.

Now at home, I have 4 Dells...3 laptops and a desktop. My desktop is my multi-media machine and the laptop is my workhorse. It is nearly four years old and working just fine. The other laptops belong to my wife and my daughter.

12. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2006

Well, I don't know much about different kinds of computers as I have been slugging away at my old dinosaur model for years now BUT...
    I was looking for a new PDA recently, spent ages reading user reviews, and what I learned was that sometimes it is good to be an impulse shopper, IF you promise not to look back and have regrets. Because as many opinions as you get, that's how confused you'll be. Some people have positive experiences and some don't. Some hate the product, some hate the company, some hate the world. Some love it. Go figure. You will never find the one that everyone likes unless it was just released and no one's actually used it yet. Get what you like and enjoy it. Period.

13. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2006

Oh, and I think every laptop will sometimes give you problems with hitting the wrong buttons. I don't think there is a right way to hold your hands like you can with a standard keyboard, because everything is all squeezed together and flat. Annoying, but it's the price you pay for a compact machine.

14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2006

I have an Averatec laptop that was cheap, small, and works great. It's three years old. It's held up much better than my Dell laptop for work that's only two years old!

For desktops, I'm a fan of "homemade" computers. I get a local computer geek guy to make mine from my specifications. I've owned two IBM computers and three "homemade" ones. I've had far less trouble from the ones I've had made, and the service is great! He's even come to the house for FREE to make repairs. I also get discounts because I sent him eight customers one year.

15. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 4, 2006

LightScribe is a program where you can have screen printing on your DVD. If you copied a movie and wanted real image burned onto the dvd, this does that. The downside is you need a special "lightscribe" enabled cd/dvd and it is about $2 each which is pricey compared to buying cd/dvd by the bulk.

16. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2006

Hm, I never knew you needed special CD's for lightscribe. Definitely not worth it, then -- just buy paper labels you can print yourself, and get the CD's in bulk. I've gotten them around 5/$1 in packs of 25, but I'm sure if I needed more they'd be even cheaper.

17. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Sep 5, 2006

I currently have DELL. I liked it, but my next computer is MAC. The upkeep for PC's to keep hackers off your system is a real pain. I owned a Compaq once, I gotta say it was just "ok". However, they have improved a bit from when I owned one. They tend to be very propriatary though. Meaning, if it needs fixing "only" a Compaq person can fix it........or so they say. Just be careful if it needs any work. You may want to call computer fixer uppers for advice before you get suckered into Compaq's service. That's just my own experience w/them.

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 5, 2006

Rumor is, alas, that the shift to the Intel chip is making Macs much more vulnerable to hacking. Ick. But Macs remain wonderful machines - I'd be dead in the water without mine.

19. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 5, 2006

Everyone says that about Macs. I'm just too lazy to learn how to use one. How different is it from a PC?

My home-built computer is the one that gave me all the problems! The guys also charged a fortune for home visits. It screwed up my HP Photosmart printer big time. I was ready to bring it back under the warranty but my DD hooked it up to the new 'puter and now it is fine. Color me happy!

I don't even know what you do with a palm pilot .....

So far I have burnt up (smoke, flash, the whole thing) two different computers at school. I don't think it was my fault in either case. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

20. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2006

Daisy, Macs are VERY user friendly!

21. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2006

I've heard nice things about Macs, too, but I'm also too lazy to switch. I think inertia is what keeps Windows going-- if life made more sense then the world would be converted to macs by now. Right now my computer is gathering dust because I prefer my father's, but when I move out and start fresh I think I'm going mac.

And 'Daisy, I never thought I needed a Palm until a relative dumped his old one on me a few months ago... now I can't live without it! It's like an automated planner and replacement brain for those times when you're not "there"... I am not even so professional, but I use mine for: address book, to-do lists (separate ones for shopping, phone calls to make/return, homework, etc- but you can also choose to see a cross-section of all the things you need to do today.), calendar (with alarms), calculator, expense recording, mp3 player, voice recorder (they don't all record, but this comes in handy sometimes), showing off digital pictures, working on assignments while traveling (compatible with MS word so I never have to re-type my notes), general notes/jots, I could go on and on! The best part is that you never have to rummage through a zillion papers to find the one you need, and if anything changes then you just edit the entry -- no scribbling and rewriting in a different place, then forgetting you changed it. You can see everything all at once and not have to remember another thing you had to do during the same time slot because you just found that other post-it-note...

In short, I am now incurably addicted! Though I wish the palm OS would be a little more stable; whenever it crashes I panic, not knowing if I'll be able to revive it again!

22. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 5, 2006

Oh, I tried a Mac this summer at my workshop and really really felt uncomfortable and didn't like it. It might be better in the long run but I found it really hard to try and just pick up and use.

23. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 5, 2006

Food for thought all the way around.

24. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2006

Christy -- I heard they've gotten very similar to windows recently. I've never tried one myself. Can you compare them?

25. Music Doc

Music Doc Habitué

Sep 5, 2006

Macs are INCREDIBLY easy to use.....the problem is that so many Windoze users are used to things being difficult that the ease of a Mac is frustrating!

There is NO truth to the rumor that the Intel Macs are more prone to hacking...last year there were 114,000 viruses for Windoze and absolutely 0 for Macs. The ONLY current vulnerability for the new Intel Macs is that, since they will run Windoze, the Windoze partition is still open to attack...but that doesn't affect the Mac OS. Mac OSX is immune from the malware/spyware/virus problem that plagues Windoze.

Windoze is, and will always be, a poor, second-rate imitation of the superior Mac OS. Get the Mac......even if it takes a little time to re-condition yourself to the new OS, it'll be well worth every second of it!

ALSO, perhaps just as important, the new Intel Macs are LESS expensive than similarly-configured Windoze machines. That doesn't mean you can't FIND a less expensive machine......but when you equip two computers with similar options, the Intel Macs are less costly than the Windoze...that includes all the major players: HP/Dell/Compaq, etc. In addition, Microsoft "Office" is available for Mac and is cross-platform compatible. In fact, the Mac versions of Word and PowerPoint can do some things the Windoze versions can't!

Computer analysts and even the PC magazines are saying that if you have a choice, get a Mac.

I am fluent in both systems (only because my school system requires Windoze); thus, I can tell you that the Mac OS is more stable,more secure, and far more advanced that Windows XP is now, or that Windows Vista will be when (if ever) it's released (especially since, by the time Vista comes out, the next version of the Mac OS, 10,5 "Leopard", will also be released and will have leap-frogged even farther ahead. Yes, I'm biased....but knowing both systems pretty solidly, I have no hesitation in saying that if you have a choice.....get a Mac.

26. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2006

Music Doc! I was wondering where you've been...

So can you please be a little more specific about the ways in which Macs are easier to use? I already knew they're more secure (though I generally don't get viruses on my PC, with only the default protection software that came with it) and supposed to be less likely to crash, but what are the differences in the actual operation? Would my thorough knowledge of MS Office be useless on a Mac?

27. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 5, 2006

Because all I've ever worked on is Windows, I just really had trouble with small things (getting to the Internet, finding my jump disk after loading it and sending something to it, etc) There were 20 or so of us on them and only 3 computers were working correctly. Not a good showing for Macs (and since it was at NASA, I feel like they were pretty well maintained.) I'm sure that once you are used to the programs, Macs are fine, but I've been Windows all this time and don't plan on changing any time soon.

28. Music Doc

Music Doc Habitué

Sep 5, 2006

Hiya Bored.

For the large majority of Office, there's little-to-no-difference. Yes, some operations may take fewer (or in a small number of instances, more) keystrokes, but in general the Office applications work the same. You just don't have to worry about crashes and losing information. Your thorough knowledge of Office would serve you quite well on a Mac..........AND, since the new Macs run Windoze (with either the Apple program "Boot Camp"...which is free......or the independent app "Parallels" (which costs about $70.00).....you can always reboot into Windoze if you find something on the Mac side you can't figure out.

If you buy a new Windoze machine.....that's all you can run. If you get a new Mac, you can run Windoze, AND Mac OSX, AND Linux! I highly recommend the new Macs!.

You're very lucky if you have NO viruses, spyware or malware on a Windoze machine. Some of them sneak on there and are very difficult to detect, even by protection software. If you've noticed any kind of slowdown on your machine, chances are it's been caused by SOME kind of infection.

29. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Sep 5, 2006

Sheesh, if Macs are now going to be more prone to hacking, might as well stick w/PC. I'm just used to PC's. I do love my DELL. :D

30. Music Doc

Music Doc Habitué

Sep 5, 2006

Macs are NOT going to be more prone to hacking....OSX is the most secure operating system available. But Windoze is Windoze and if you decide to run Windoze on your Intel Mac....the partition you dedicate to Windoze WILL be vulnerable......but that will NOT affect the Mac OSX partition. Besides....once you become accustomed to the superior Mac OS, you'll wonder why you ever even LOOKED at Windoze!

31. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Sep 5, 2006

Um, ok MD. I can see that you like Mac over "windoze". ;-) Acutally, for graphics I would LOVE to use a MAC. They are phenominal in that capacity, as well as others. I'm just saying I'm used to PC's, that's all. However, once it's time for me to purchase another computer, I most definitley will be checking out Macintosh.

32. Music Doc

Music Doc Habitué

Sep 5, 2006

I understand, Nas.......we're comfortable with what we "grew up" on in computers........I also admit to just a pinch of bias. But as i said in an earlier post, being fluent in both systems allows me the benefit of being able to see both sides.....and, for me, there's simply no comparison. I'm a big mac supporter...and evangelist! Also remember....teachers can take advantage of the Apple Educator Advantage program.....significant discounts on all macs and ipods for teachers!

33. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2006

Yes, Mac is pushing hard into the educational system. I've been wondering for a while now if this is enough to cause a mac revolution in the new generation of students.

You mentioned graphics -- I am also a graphic artist wannabe (besides teaching, I mean!) and I've heard that macs are better for graphics. In what way is that? The main programs that everyone uses (Adobe, Quark...) run fine on "Windoze" (MD, it drives me nuts to read that! It was cute at first but now I'm getting dizzy...;)

34. Chiquiti

Chiquiti Rookie

Sep 6, 2006

As one who recently switched from the Windows operating system to the Mac OS, I can say that I do not regret my decision at all!

I was exposed to Macs a few years ago while subbing in schools, yet I never purchased one for two reasons - price, and lack of Mac-based software games (my son was 10 at the time). I've had Sony Vaio, IBM ThinkPad (laptop), Compaq Presario, and most recently HP. Although the Compaq crashed after two years, I never had any real problems with the PCs. It wasn't until the new MacBooks came out, that my interest in Macs returned. Once I saw what it came preloaded with - not to mention the clarity of the screen resolution, I was sold. The price was great (I used my credential and pay stub to get a teacher discount), and I find it so much easier to use than Windows. I let my son use the HP, but the Mac is mine!

35. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Sep 6, 2006

MD: Your avatar is a dead-giveaway! ;):D Hey, that's great about the Apple Discounts for Teachers! I'll have to remember that! :)

36. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 6, 2006

Whatever computer you end up buying, if you buy from the company, ask for a teacher discount. Dell gives one and I'm sure the others do as well.

37. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Sep 6, 2006

Oh, I thought it was just an Apple marketing thing. I wonder if a teachers' aide qualifies for anything? Though I'm not in the market for new electronics right now, that might come in handy one day and I don't anticipate being a full-fledged teacher until I graduate...someday...

38. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 7, 2006

I know Dell does it (I got $200 off on the phone). I would imagine if you tell them you work in the school, that they would work some sort of discount out for you. They want to see the computer. They are going to try and make you happy. Besides, teachers' aides work very hard for very little money. Hopefully they realize that.

39. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Sep 22, 2006

After owning a DELL for 3 years, I can surely testify to the kind of support DELL has and you're right, it really, really sucks -- BIG TIME! That was my main reason for going with HP this time around and, to be honest, I much prefer HP's tech support over DELL's. I would definitely consider another HP system when I'm ready to buy again.

I like Mac's, but after seeing the price tags on those babies ... there's just no way I could ever afford a Mac system.

40. Music Doc

Music Doc Habitué

Sep 22, 2006

It's been shown repeatedly that the Windows machines.....when configured equally, are now more expensive than comparable Macs. Yes, you can still buy a PC for less....but it will run slower, have less memory, and fewer features. At this point, there's also not the driving need to spend extra money (like for anti-virus, anti-malware) software, which is pretty much de rigeur for PC's.

Just as an example of a new iMac:
    Cost: $899.00
    for that price you get:

17-inch widescreen LCD

1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor1

2MB shared L2 cache

512MB memory

160GB Serial ATA hard drive2

24x Combo Drive (DVD-ROM, CD-RW)

Intel GMA 950 graphics with 64MB of shared memory

Built-in AirPort Extreme

PLUS: you'll be running Mac OSX, the most secure, most stable operating system on the planet. You'll also get the iLife suite of applications: iPhoto, iTunes, iWeb, iMovie, iDVD, iChat...as well as the media control center app Front Row, and a "fun" app called Photo Booth which works with iPhoto, etc.

You really should look at the TCO (total cost of ownership), not just the numbers on the sticker.....also be aware that Apple customer service is always rated very high by customers.

And...no, I don't work for Apple...I'm just a member of the cult! ;)

41. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2006

I am mad! No, I am furious!!!!! Monday my Dell crashed, it was 7 years old and was wonderful. We also own 2 dell laptops and 1 Dell desktop. So of course when mine crashed I called and ordered another Dell. I felt I was getting a good price, even though my son tried taking me into a Mac. Anyway, when I first talked to sales rep he told me the delivery would be before Sept. 26 and I was thrilled. Then after completing the order he said because of what I was getting it would arrive until October 11th. I said OK because I could use my husband's like I am now. When I went online to check my order status today it said delivery October 18th. TOTALLY unacceptable for me. I placed the order on September 19th and here they are telling me I have to wait a whole month to receive it. I didn't order anything fancy!!! So I called and talked to a very nice lady who said she would upgrade me to free next day delivery so I would get it a few days earlier. Ok I am an easy person to get along with so I said sure. Well, I just now checked my order status to see if they delivery date was sooner and found out my order was cancelled!!!!! And being a Friday night the department I need to talk to is closed. I am so angry right now! Sorry this is so long, I just needed to vent. I may be rethinking what to buy!