What kind of laptop do you have and what do you like/not like about it?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tracykaliski, Aug 23, 2010.

1. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2010

I'm in the market for a laptop and would love a Macbook Pro but I don't think it's in the budget. What kind do you have and what do you like or not like about it?

Thanks!

3. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Aug 23, 2010

MacBook Pro. Definitely worth the money. Came from a PC and will never go back.

4. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 23, 2010

I have a HP dv6z-2000 CTO Entertainment Notebook PC

Excellent, just remember to upgrade to the 12 cell battery for maximum battery life.

It can hook up to HDTVs, projectors, whatever you want

5. happypreteach

happypreteach Rookie

Aug 23, 2010

I have a Dell inspiron. I like it, but if I were to choose a new one I would go back to an HP. My Dell is a bit slow....my dream one would be a mac as well

6. dmbfan36

dmbfan36 Rookie

Aug 23, 2010

Just bought a MacBook Pro - my second Mac laptop and I love it and would never go back to a PC again. Totally worth the extra money.

7. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 23, 2010

Save your money. Don't buy a mac. Buy a PC, but reformat it and put linux on it. The apple OS is based off of linex. I have an HP.

8. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Aug 23, 2010

I have an Acer netbook and I love it!

9. SingBlueSilver

SingBlueSilver Companion

Aug 23, 2010

MacBook Pro's seem really nice to me, but I don't do much on the computer except for word processing and surf the internet. It would be a waste of money for me to get a MacBook Pro when I wouldn't be doing all that it's capable of doing. I don't video edit or create iphone apps or podcasts or photoshop pictures, and even if I did HAVE one, I wouldn't do those things because its just too time consuming of a hobby.

My first laptop was a Sony Vaio...I DO NOT recommend it AT ALL. I had multiple problems with it and even though it was up and running, I opted to get a new laptop within 2 years. I think Vaio's are just made to look nice and not meant for heavy-duty use. Two years ago I bought an ASUS F6A. I like it a lot because it has not given me any problems within the time I had it and the brand was recommended to me because ASUS manufactures motherboards for other computer companies like HP. If I were to get another laptop, it would be another ASUS.

Word of advice when purchasing, if you happen to purchase from Best Buy - go ahead and pay the extra money to have THEM set up the laptop for you. It's a time saver and they don't just get it up and running, but they also delete all the "unnecessary" software that was installed that you don't want.

10. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 23, 2010

I have a Dell. Don't get a Dell. It's okay, but next time I'll pay a bit more and get an HP.

11. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2010

I am a Mac girl. I have only had macs. I am married to a web developer, and he uses pretty much only macs (but in the linux shell). I don't get viruses. My computer almost never crashes.

If you can't afford a macbook pro (which is what I have), look at the macbooks. This is what our school district purchases for our laptop carts and the school-issued laptops for the teachers.

12. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Aug 23, 2010

I have an HP from Sam's Club. I would avoid Best Buy. I had purchased an HP laptop from them my freshman year of college (6 years ago) and 3 years to the day from when I purchased it the hard drive failed and it took a month and 6 trips to the store before I had it back working properly. I would get an extended warranty from the manufacturer before the "geek squad" ever again.

13. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 23, 2010

I have a Macbook and it's the best. I had a conversation today with my Mom about how much I love my Macs. I have 3 and they are just the best things on Earth. I haven't had a computer problem in almost 2 years.

14. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Aug 23, 2010

I'm in the market for a new computer, too. What does everyone love about the Macbook that they would never go back to a PC? What are the advantages?

15. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Aug 23, 2010

I have a Dell Inspiron and I love it. If I was going to buy another laptop it would definitely be another Dell.

16. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 23, 2010

17. dovian

dovian Comrade

Aug 24, 2010

Someone told me that Windows machines are great for people who like to tinker with their computers, and Macs are great for people who just want their computer to work (aka no fuss). I went Mac 4 years ago and I'm not going back :) They're intuitively designed and easy to use. I look at my husband's Windows machine now and it just looks . . . cluttered.

Also, although it cost more initially, I had one Macbook in the time my husband went through 2 Windows laptops. They do last. I wouldn't even have bought the second one if I hadn't been stupid and cracked the screen on the first - it still runs great and we are thinking about hooking it up to a monitor and using it as a desktop.

18. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Aug 24, 2010

The thing with the Mac is, you don't need it. Unless you specifically have something that a Mac must be used, spending more (when you said you really can't/don't want to) doesn't sound smart.

It's like having a reliable, decent PoS, vs. buying a Mercedes. Yeah, the Mercedes is gonna drive better, etc. but if you don't know what you're missing (with a PC), why worry about it?

For the record, I have a five year old Fujitsu lapper, 17". I like it, but my next one will probably not be as big (cumbersome). This thing is a tank.

19. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 24, 2010

Macs can have fun problems that are more difficult to fix than ones that happen on a Windows machine :p

Macs have the fun sadface when something goes wrong. At least windows might go "hey this process crashed, here's a bunch of technical information"

Also, you can make windows 7 so you have nothing on the desktop, if you modify it the right way

20. HMM

HMM Cohort

Aug 24, 2010

I Have a Dell Inspiron 1720. It is 3 years old, but it is still pretty nice (I got a lot of bells and whistles for it when I first purchased it). It is a great gaming machine :D

21. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2010

I have a Macbook Pro at work and love, love, love it, but I can't afford one. I need a decent laptop for which I'll probably use the word processing, picture stuff, surfing the net, and powerpoints for classes that I teach. That's about it.

My husband is very familiar with windows too, so if anything goes wrong with it, he can fix it. If I get a Mac, then I'll have to pay someone to do it.

I know I want one with a slot for a camera card, and room for one or two thumb drives. Wireless is a must too, but isn't that just about normal on laptops now?

*sigh* This is a really hard decision!

22. wcormode

wcormode Rookie

Aug 24, 2010

My home computer is a dell and I have problems almost daily. I HATE dell support. They stink and are greedy. My school computer is a MacBook and it starts up in about 1/10th of the time. It also wakes up so much faster. Everything on a windows computer is wait.... wait... wait....

23. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2010

I have a Toshiba, but it's made by HP. I bought it at BestBuy. It wasn't the cheapest model, but probably one step up. I haven't had any issues with it. I've never had problems with it being slow, either. It works for what I need, and I love that it has a camera card slot and SEVERAL USB ports.

24. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Aug 24, 2010

I have a Toshiba A505 and absolutely adore it!

It's a good size, 15.6" I think?. I have a 500GB hard drive, 4GB of memory, harmon/kardon speakers (which didn't mean anything to me until my fiance pointed out that they were a really good brand), and all kinds of other stuff. What sold me on this computer was the battery. I think it's an 8-cell battery, and it lasts around 6 hours.

Seriously, the best laptop I've ever had!

Also, I highly recommend buying yours from Best Buy. They have the best extended warranty and accidental protection program. :)

Good luck and happy shopping!

25. SunnyReader

SunnyReader Companion

Aug 24, 2010

i have 2 of those old macs (the colored ones- green and blue) and a tablet. At home I have everything- dell, hp, and mac. NEVER use the mac (dont understand it), always use the dell.

26. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Aug 24, 2010

I just bought an HP TouchSmart tm2 I also have a desktop PC...I'm a PC HP girl. We have HP laptops at school for teachers, plus macbooks ..students use the iMACs. I hate macs..I don't like to use them and my macbook isnt even plugged in so far this year.

IMHO macbooks are good for making movies, itunes is already installed and things in that genre. But for word processing and documents its a FAIL. However, those that I know who have MACs love them..I just can't fathom owning one personally.

27. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 24, 2010

most laptops have SD card slots (if they don't you can just purchase a USB SD card reader) and like 4 USB portrs

28. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 24, 2010

Don't buy from best buy, they like to charge a bit of money.

Try to get an educators discount.

Also look here for laptops:
    http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=32&name=Laptops-Notebooks

29. tgim

tgim Habitué

Aug 25, 2010

I come from a family of IBMers (mom and dad - mom still holds patents for IBM!) so I was a "PC chick" all the way - until about a year and a half ago....I went over to the dark side and got a MacBook. Like others on here, I love it and won't have another PC. Our 4-year old desktop family computer was built by a local computer expert, and while it has been okay, it has had more than a few problems in the last couple of years. In 15 months with a Mac, I have had 0 problems. Z E R O - no trips to get anything done, no viruses, no software issues, etc.

Right now there is a special for educators and students:
    http://www.apple.com/education/

30. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Aug 26, 2010

My home computer is my iMac-i've had it since '07 and I absolutely love it.
    My computer I use between work/school is my Macbook Pro. I've had this since this past December, and so far so good.
    I switched over to Mac a few years ago and I'm not looking at another PC ever again! :)

31. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 26, 2010

The only thing that was holding me back from getting a Macbook Pro was the fact that microsoft office wasn't included. It was going to be about $150 extra. I talked to our IT guy at school (we use Macs at school) and he gave me a copy of 2004 Microsoft office for Macs. Apparently there's a new microsoft office version for macs coming out in November, so this'll get me going until then, and then I can buy the new version.

I'm going to take advantage of the education special now and get the macbook pro with $100 off, plus a free 8 gig ipod touch, plus a new wireless printer for free.