What kind of fidgets do you use?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by WaterfallLady, Feb 25, 2010.

1. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2010

I'm just wondering what type of fidgets you use in your classroom. I need to get some and know there are some neat ones out there.

3. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Feb 25, 2010

Okay I'll bite. What are "fidgets?" :)

4. bros

bros Phenom

Feb 25, 2010

Basically little doohickeys to help get the energy out of busy hands.

For me, I like to rub my finger on a bumpy thing on my laptop case (it's a sample of what the cushioning is like for the laptop or something like that)

5. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Feb 26, 2010

For us it depends on the student. Our student who likes to squeeze things uses fidgets that you can squeeze (hard ones not soft as he will squeeze the goo out of anything that he can squeeze). For our student who likes to rub and wring, we use things that he can do this with (plastic slinky, textured clothes or gloves, rubbing pads...etc.). For our student who likes to flap his hands, we use softer things with arms that he can flap or even small stuffies. It is important to match the fidget to the type of activity that the student is seeking.

6. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Feb 27, 2010

I had a kiddo last year with autism that had a "fidget box." Duh, sorry, forgot all about that. But he had a lot of squishy balls, little plastic guys, stress balls, etc. I also remember a kiddo back when I was student teaching that loved to wave/shake a long strip of fabric in front of his face.

7. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Feb 28, 2010

I have one student who constantly flips his eyelids inside out.

Constantly.

I've given him those very flexible pencil grippers, and he instead flips those inside out. Not a "real" fidget, I guess but it works for him. :)

8. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Feb 28, 2010

I have a kid who likes shiny things and "crinkle" sounds. She crinkles the shiny kind of tissue paper. It's not really tissue paper but you use it in a gift bag? You know what I'm talking about. We cut her small little squares and she crinkles the daylights out of it and then we replace it.

My kids love those squeeze balls, but we too have the issue of squirting the juice out of them. I have since banned those from my classroom (ended up getting in a kids mouth, big mess.)

There are carwash mitts at the dollar tree. They're like gloves with a bunch of hanging fabric pieces? My kids love those. I have to throw it in the wash every so often though, because they get gross.

Stress balls are good for some kids (my "tensers"). I have a kid who loves to cut strips of paper into really small pieces. We let him do that during his "breaks."

We also have bows (shiny!) that the kids like to line up, stack, put in the bag, crinkle, etc.

9. rchlkay

rchlkay Companion

Mar 1, 2010

I have a student who is very happy with a strip of velcro (the rough side) under his desk. I also give a few silly putty and have found a few pencil grips with bumps on them. I have lots of kids with fidgets this year....

10. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Mar 3, 2010

stress balls, theraputty