What Kind of Dwelling You You Live In?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 27, 2009

Just for fun, what kind of place do you live in? (1 or 2 story home, apt, condo, townhome, flat, studio apt, duplex, triplex) Do you like it? :)

I used to live in a duplex w/ my parents who owned the building. Then, we moved to a just-built single family, 2-story home, which I really like. The only small complaint is we wish we had a powder room downstairs (sink & toilet only of course). I wish we had an actual laundry room. The W & D are in the garage. Several yrs ago, we added a nice-sized sunroom.

I would like to continue having a 2-story home again when I move.

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 27, 2009

I live in a house.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 27, 2009

70 year old colonial, wrap around lemonade porch, mature perennial garden. Winding paths throughout garden, slate patio. Hardwood floors through first floor. Granite countertops in modern gourmet kitchen, new appliances. Central air. 4 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths. Stained glass, skylights and 'greenhouse' windows are featured in some rooms. Columns in living room and stone fireplace. Crown moulding, high ceilings. Detached garage.
    Can you tell I LOVE LOVE LOVE my house? We bought directly from the previous owners (no real estate agent) about 10 years ago on a tip from the mailman.

We've also owned and sold a townhouse and a ranch home.

5. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Oct 27, 2009

Sounds beautiful, czacza

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 27, 2009

That sounds awesome, cza!!

We live in a one story single family home. I like it, but would like to remodel the kitchen and master bath and put hardwood floors throughout.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 27, 2009

A simple, one story single family house on a teeny-tiny lot (which is good because I abhor yardwork). It is basic- 1250 sf, 3 bed, 2 bath, split design. It was a foreclosure, so I had to start from scratch- flooring, paint, etc... So, it is perfect in that sense :)

8. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Oct 27, 2009

I live in a small 1050 square foot house that is one of those cookie cutter houses. It has 2 beds and 2 baths. I will have closed on this house a year from this November 19th. I love owning my own home. I don't care too much for the yard work though.

9. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 27, 2009

ok cza... I want to see a picture!!!! It sounds beautiful!

I live in a 1 story older home. 3 bed, 2 bath, living room/dining room ... oh wait, I mean a huge playroom for Emily... LOL, den and kitchen... pretty huge laundry room. It is a very spacious home.

10. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 27, 2009

I live in a very urban area and my apartment building is 100 years old, and beautiful! I live on the third floor (walk up) but from my living room I can see downtown Seattle all lit up at night.

My apartment is small, just one bedroom, but I have a huge kitchen and it has the ORIGINAL cabinetry. It's really beautiful. I love that my pantry was formerly an old fashioned ice-box and the cupboards have BIG glass windows in them. I display all my beautiful dishes in the cupboards. I also have a living room, a bathroom, a good sized-bedroom and the hall. It's got wood floors throughout and a picture rail along the top of the walls near the ceiling. My hallway also has built in coat racks which are really cool. My windows are beautiful, heavy wood frames and are about 6 feet x 4 feet each. I have huge windows everywhere. My favorite part about my apartment is the lighting fixtures. In my hallway and my living room I have art deco styled chandeliers, which are original. They were at one point gas lights but were converted to electrical at some point. I looove my apartment. I only wish the laundry wasn't 4 floors down!

The location is also amazing. On my very block, I have a pizza place, a salon, a wine bar, a NICE restaurant, a juice bar/vegan place, and a 7-11. There is also a natural food co-op about 1.5 blocks away, a children's clothing store, a home decor store, a plant store, a watch store, another salon and a sandwich shop. Then, within 3 blocks there is a HUGE city area with all the great little local restaurants, shops, drug stores, gift shops, movie theaters and so forth. Within walking distance (5 blocks or so) there is a HUGE park with a conservatory, rose garden, fountains, playgrounds and so forth. In the other direction there is another park with a wading pool, tennis courts, a baseball field, soccer field, etc. Also within 5 blocks there is live theater, a college, bars, clubs, service organizations, artsy movie theaters, low-budget black box theaters, fancy restaurants, hot dog stands, loud bars, classy bars, gay bars, leather bars!!, police and fire station (both 3 blocks away) and more than I could ever ask for. There are even schools and churches. I actually live in like, what I consider the best intersection in my city. If anyone asked the name of the street I live on and you have ANY familiarity with this city, you would know immediately that this is among the best urban locations possible around here!

I will miss this place when I leave someday...

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 27, 2009

I live in a one story single-family home.

I love it because I have a big yard. The neighbors are far enough away not to be right in my space, but they're close enough so that I don't feel isolated. We've remodeled everything except the kitchen, and I really like my house. I had to have a one-story home because by my late 20's I was already having some significant issues with arthritis. No stairs for me!

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 27, 2009

That sounds exactly like my house/neighborhood. I can't wait to remodel the kitchen and the exterior/siding.

13. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 27, 2009

I live in a small house on a very quiet street in the bedroom community of Portland, Oregon. Since there are only 2 of us, the 3 bedrooms, two baths are perfect. But, when the family comes, the house is too small. We are looking for a bigger house in the country.

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 27, 2009

One house is 3000 sq ft cookie cutter house in a nice suburb and second home is a manufactured home on sixty acres in the middle of nowhere.

15. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 27, 2009

Can I come live with you? I'll clean the bathrooms!

I live in a one bedroom apartment, garden level (so lots of buggy "roommates".)

16. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 27, 2009

We recently built our house. Well, I guess it's been 3 years now, but we looove it. We live in the country, far from neighbors. We have a few acres, just enough to give us something to do, but not enough to be overwhelming. Our house is a story and a half, with 3 dormers on the front, a big wrap around front porch, and getting-better landscaping. We have 4 bedrooms, 3 1/2 bathrooms. My favorite room is the kitchen/breakfast nook, because it is a cool burnt red color. My least favorite is the laundry room. If I could do it all over again, I would make the laundry about twice the size. Right now it is basically a pass through from the garage to the rest of the house, and collects a lot of junk. I would also make the master bath shower bigger-just a stall, and I want it bigger!

Our house looks a lot like this:

[​IMG]

17. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Oct 27, 2009

ranch home. It's OK, but not me. It's paid for, though, so that makes up for it.

I like to live in one of those row houses in Boston or New York.

Or a penthouse suite with a huge deck that covers the whole roof of a tall skyscraper.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...=85&prev=/images?q=row+houses&hl=en&sa=N&um=1

And I could see myself living on the top floor of this building.

http://eatmypotato.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/the-pierre-penthouse.jpg

This one is very unique. Add a lot of greenery, and I could definitely live there.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...ent+new+york&ndsp=18&hl=en&sa=N&start=54&um=1

18. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 27, 2009

We're in a 2 bed, 2 bath condo right now-maybe 800 sq. feet. It's very nice inside-nice paint, fixtures, etc., but it's SMALL. The 2nd bedroom is all Sprout stuff, so really it's just a 1 bed. The complex is HORRIBLE. Our neighbors are ridiculous. We're on the top of a really huge hill with other terrible, outdated buildings.

The new place we're moving to next week is a 2 Bd, 1 Bath home, but a rental home. I think it's about 1300 sq ft, PLUS a two car garage. It's in a wonderful neighborhood-so we hear. The homes around it would be way out of our price range. I'm soooo excited. I bought copper patio lights today, and I have my eye on a matching copper fire 'pit' and a teak bar... anyhow. I can't WAIT to nest and decorate and make it our own.

19. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 27, 2009

Here is a photo of the exact house we built three years ago on just under seven acres...ours is dark brick all the way around with the white siding in the front center portion and dormers only and our front door setup isn't the same, but you get the idea.

[​IMG]

20. kellyrosebud

kellyrosebud Rookie

Oct 28, 2009

I'm in a 600 square foot granny unit above a garage. My bf just moved in and we're getting cabin fever.

I need a yard. I need to be able to bbq. I need a garage where I can send my bf :whistle:

...We may be here for a few more months (fingers crossed!!)

21. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 28, 2009

A 2500 sq foot two story, 4-bedroom detatched home. We back out onto a ravine so even though our yard is small, it seems to go on forever. Few of our neighbours have put up fences in the back, so our yards all merge together. We bought our home new 17 years ago and I love it.

22. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Oct 28, 2009

I used to live in a 2 bedroom condo and we just sold it on Monday. I am staying w/ DF and we live in a duplex. We are buying a house and closing next month. It is a 2 story cape with 3 bedrooms, 2 baths and partially finished basement. We are very excited.
    We are a mile to the train station and a mile to the center of town.

23. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Oct 28, 2009

A three-bedroom, one and a half-bath split level house, with about an acre yard. About four years my dad finally got the pole barn that he wanted and over the winter the kitchen was completely re-done. Hopefully within the next year I'll get a job and will move into either an apartment or a townhouse. Last year when I lived out of state I lived in a two-bedroom, one and a half-bath and it was perfect for me.

24. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Oct 28, 2009

My SO and I bought a 100 year home over a year ago now. It's old and a bit crooked but lovely. It has all the old glass knobs on the doors, and it HAD all the old linoleum to boot. When I say old linoleum I mean from 1940-1950 kind of stuff. We have half old guillotine windows on the second floor with half new windows. When we moved in it was technically a four bedroom one bath, smaller 1200 sq. foot home. We converted the smallest 'bedroom' into a bathroom which is beautiful and just added heat to all the upstairs rooms. I have an older fashioned split kitchen, but a neat canning room in our basement. I also have a wonderful three season porch with beautiful wood windows.

We have a detached garage, and a shed in our backyard. We're completely sheet rocking another room up stairs to eventually make it our master bedroom, and we're going to just touch up one of our rooms to make it our new nursery.

We found some really neat trunks in the attic with old rent checks from 1940 written in pencil for something like 6.00, and old last rights (sp) alter for a person who clearly got really ill in the home.

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 28, 2009

Clean the bathrooms? Throw in dusting the woodwork and you've got a deal!!
    :)

26. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 28, 2009

One story single-family brick home. I live in a great neighborhood with very large yards. Now we can't find anything larger with a comparable yard :(

27. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 28, 2009

Gorgeous, JustMe!!

28. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Oct 28, 2009

Log home, 2000 sq ft, 4 bdrms, 2 baths, formal LR and DR, country kitchen family room combo. All on one floor. We are located in an older area of town that was part of a plantaton.

29. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Oct 28, 2009

We bought a brand new condo three years ago. We LOVE it!

It's two bedrooms, two bathrooms, and a Great Room, plus a two car garage. Outside of our living room windows is a large soybean field with a wooded area beyond it. Deer live in the wood and will often come out into the open.

Best thing - our condo is paid for! No more mortgage payments.

30. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Oct 28, 2009

We rent a house that was originally owned by a tile-cutter. We have beautiful tiled floors in the kitchen, a tiled bathroom, and two tiled fireplaces. We have an antique stove (that you have to light with a match). I love this house! We don't have closets, but it's beauty is worth it!