What kind of cuts are your systems considering for 2nd semester/next year?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MelissainGA, Nov 21, 2009.

1. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Nov 21, 2009

I was curious what some of the rest of you are hearing about possible 2nd semester cost cutting ideas that your district is considering.

Things that have been tossed around here include:
    1) 4 to 7 MORE furlough days (we have already had 3)
    2) shortened school year for this year
    3) Decreasing the already cut supply budget

For next year some of the things that are being considered include:
    1) Going to a 4 day work week
    2) Going to a 158 day calendar
    3) Staff cuts and even larger class sizes (we already have increased by 5+ over last year)

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 21, 2009

Just curious... I believe all NY schools are at 180 days. What's your current number?

4. goopp

goopp Devotee

Nov 21, 2009

Most schools in GA are 180 days for kids. My district is 180 for kids/190 for teachers. There are several districts looking at longer school days and shorter calendars. One major district added 10 minutes to each day next year and cut their calendar to 177 days. My district just adopted a new calendar for the next 3 years. It is for 180 days but I'm excited because we now get a week break in September, November, February, April, and 2 weeks in December. We start the 1st of August, but the breaks will be worth it. The kids still get out the Friday before Memorial Day.

5. goopp

goopp Devotee

Nov 21, 2009

Back to the original post...rumor is that we will get 3 furlough days next semester but we haven't heard for sure. The other rumor is that they will cut principals from 240 to 230 days. They'll do that by completely closing the schools on our new breaks in September and February. This will save on heating/cooling costs as well as administrative salaries. That rumor is also that the district office will close those 2 weeks, saving electricity costs and saleries for those weeks at the district level.

6. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Nov 21, 2009

Alice - We are 180 for students and were supposed to be 190 for staff but they changed that before the year started and we only had 3 paid prep days rather than 5 before the kids came.

Goop- sounds like your district went to our type of calendar. We currently have a week off in October, November, February and April and 2 weeks in December. The kids started Aug. 3rd.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 21, 2009

My district will probably not fill positions of retirement, central office positions will probably not get filled at all, which means that those people will have more on their plates.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 21, 2009

We have not been told of any additional cuts. We are still at 180 days for students, 196 for teachers. I'm curious how you can get so much break time and still finish as early as you do. We begin school 2 weeks before Labor day, have 3 days off Thanksgiving week, 2 weeks at Christmas, and a week for Spring Break and then we finish the first week of June.

9. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Nov 21, 2009

We are still at 180 days, but two paid prep days were cut this year. One of the neighboring districts just cut their year to 175 days, which the state has okayed.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 21, 2009

WOW!!! So dropping to 158 means taking over 3 weeks off the calendar!!!! That's a SERIOUS cut!!!!

11. goopp

goopp Devotee

Nov 21, 2009

The kids will start the 1st weekday in August. Teachers start the last week of July. Kids are out Friday before Memorial Day, teachers have 2 post planning days after Memorial Day.

12. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Nov 21, 2009

We have 17 furlough days this year and 17 scheduled for next year. We have almost no Fridays for the rest of the year. Our school voted to remove our union mandated prep days that we agreed to and change them to instructional time. We also cancelled all our fun stuff- no X-mas stuff, no assemblies, no special programs.

13. Katieladybug

Katieladybug Companion

Nov 21, 2009

Wow our Superintendent will not even consider extending the day and lowering the number of days we have to go. He says we have to go 180 even if we add minutes.

We have to start after Labor day (state law) and usually end up going 10 days into June.

We will end up cutting staff and programs that go with it. I am pretty sure that 65% of our budget goes to payroll.

We currently do not have a contract, we are in mediation but will probably lose due to the state of the economy and state. We will probably have one imposed on us before next year with a new health care plan where we pay a lot, no step increases, no raise, no anything. :(

It appears that we will have to cut our "special" teachers (art, music, gym, nutrition,). The high school will lose some of the Agriscience programs that they have. We will have even larger class sizes. School counselors will be reduced. Custodians may be privatized, as may bus drivers. Supply budgets will be cut even lower. We may not be able to order more workbooks, or science experiment materials.

I would like to see some administrative cuts but it is not likely to happen.

14. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 21, 2009

That's the difference. We have way too many teacher planning days.

15. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Nov 21, 2009

We just heard about 3-4 teacher slots cut for next year as of right now.

16. sk8enscars311

sk8enscars311 Companion

Nov 21, 2009

I could be wrong, but 158 days makes sense if the district is going to four day weeks.