What kind of candy are you handing out for Halloween?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Oct 9, 2009.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Oct 9, 2009

I was wondering if there was something I haven't tried before that's good! :)

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 9, 2009

I haven't handed out candy in yrs, but I'd hand out what I'd want to get:

- candy corn
    - snack-sized Snickers

4. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Oct 9, 2009

I love seeing all the kids in their costumes! I think it's funny when it's just a parent with their infant though...

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 9, 2009

I give out small toys or pencils. I do it because I would eat the candy if I bought it. lol

6. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Oct 9, 2009

Blue, I know that's what happens if we buy it too early. Some years, I've had to go out again to get more for the kids! :lol:

7. Ross

Ross Comrade

Oct 9, 2009

I now buy the candy no earlier than a day before Halloween.

In previous years, candy bought early disappeared before the big day.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 9, 2009

I think I'll buy some candy corn for myself. It's the only treat I give myself! :p

9. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 9, 2009

This is my first year for trick or treaters and I am really excited. I want to do something creative but I think the kids probably just want candy. I have thought about getting a few little stuffed animals for the really little kids who can't do the candy.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 10, 2009

I do NOT find it funny. :mad:

11. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Oct 10, 2009

I meant that sarcastically! :)Why don't the parents just buy candy for themselves since they know that's what they want.

12. Hartlepool

Hartlepool Rookie

Oct 10, 2009

They get nowt from me,bloody scroungers !

13. K1teach

K1teach Companion

Oct 10, 2009

I don't hand out candy. I hand out glow bracelets :) I usually get them at Michaels for 15 for $1. I have also seen them in Target's dollar bins. I usually have them ready to go and put them on the kids wrists' as they come around. They seem to like them!

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 10, 2009

Oh. :)

I think not-nice thoughts when I see adults pulling their babies in wagons getting a bag of Snickers and various other things the child won't be able to eat for at least three years. It's not healthy that I let it bother me as much as it does! :unsure:

15. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 10, 2009

I don't get trick or treaters! I am looking forward to the day that I do, though....

16. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Oct 10, 2009

I bought a mixed bag of Hershey/Reeses stuff, as well as some Skittles and Twizzlers. It's currently hiding in one of my handbags - my husband doesn't know I bought it, otherwise it'd probably be gone already!

We live in an apartment complex with TONS of kids around but our neighbor said she never gets trick-or-treaters. :( I hope we at least get some this year!

17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 10, 2009

LOL if I bought candy before Halloween my husband would eat it all!! I'd have to hide it too.
    When i was a kid my favorite thing to get in my trick-or-treat bag was the McDonald's coupons for free ice cream or something and one neighbor gave us money!!
    I wouldn't mind seeing parents bring around their babies if they were dressed up. They are so cute in costumes!

18. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 10, 2009

We hand out Milky Way, Butterfingers, Snickers, Three Musketeers

19. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Oct 10, 2009

Or they have those mini play-doh containers if anyone is looking for non-candy ideas!

20. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Oct 10, 2009

I always wanted to be the neighbor that handed out the big candy bars (like regular size, or even king-size!) but for now I'm just too poor, haha. Though if we don't get many trick or treaters this year, I may do it next year.

21. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 10, 2009

Kids here love Reeses. I'll probably get some of those again. They were a hit last year. Oddly enough, they also went for the Dum Dums, so I'll get those, too.

22. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Oct 10, 2009

We live in a complex that has both single family homes and townhomes. before the divorce we lived in the single families...and after we moved to the townhomes so the kids didn't have to change schools.

While in the single family homes we had (no lie) about 250-300 trick or treaters in a night (and i LOVED it!!!)

Now...a short walk away in the townhomes... I have no-one. And I miss it SO much!!! The families in our culdesac with little children have them go out in friend's neighborhoods or take them to their parents' neighborhoods.

I miss sitting on the porch and watching the ever-passing parade of costumed families and their pets. :(

23. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Oct 10, 2009

I just got back from TJ's and they have really tasty organic lollipops made with "real" ingredients! I don't usually care about organic candy but these do taste good! I think I'll hand out these.

24. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 10, 2009

None...I live in an adult only building:(

25. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Oct 10, 2009

There are a ton of kids in my complex ..I hope I get some trick or treaters!

We had 2 last year but that was in a different state.

When I lived at home we would get 100 kids ..it has gone down alot. My mom said last year they were lucky to get 20-30.

I always love seeing the babies in costumes :)

26. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 10, 2009

When I have given out candy at other people's houses I always give raisins or something lame to adults with babies or to teens with no costume. lol.

27. Ross

Ross Comrade

Oct 10, 2009

I thought having a 100 show up at my house was a lot.

What fun it must of been in your neighborhood!

28. Kase

Kase Companion

Oct 10, 2009

I won't have any because we live in an apartment complex where you have to have keys to get in and I hardly see kids walking around. I don't even know if there are any kids. *Sigh* Oh well. I'm glad I teach so I can get my fix of costume dressed children. One of my little girls is going to be a cupcake.

29. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Oct 10, 2009

My neighbor last year handed out little rubber ducks. She got them from Oriental trading or something like that. The kids would get the duck and squeak it all the way over to my house. I dont' give out the "good" candy though. I buy cheap candy to give away and keep the good candy. We just never know how many trick or treaters we will get.

30. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 11, 2009

I buy candy on sale. I used to skim what my kids didn't like from their bags and throw that into the bowl for handing out as well. :eek:

Halloween is on a Saturday this year...not sure what time they start trick or treating on weekends but I'm NOT into answering the door all day. Think I'll find something to do not at home.

AND I hate hate hate Cabbage Night. A neighbor and I stood 'guard' outside our houses last year...I'm perfectly fine with TP in the street and shaving cream on the telephone poles, but STAY THE HECK out of my yard. The kicker was PARENTS walking with gangs of kids and basicallly overseeing the bedlam...Yeah, I'm a grouch when it comes to destruction and vandalism.

31. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 11, 2009

This will be my first year with trick-or-treaters.
    I am buying candy I don't like -things with nuts, coconut and peanut butter in them! That way I won't eat it! I may buy ONE bag of Milky Ways since I :wub: them.

32. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Oct 12, 2009

giraffe326, I do the same thing. I buy things that I know I won't want. I know the kids don't necessarily want them either, but if I bought chocolate, the children probably wouldn't get anything at all. I don't mind the babies as much as I mind the teenagers (and older) who don't dress, hold out a Walmart bag and drive their cars from house to house. Grrrr.

33. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 12, 2009

Cabbage night??? It sounds like a night for hoodlums and gangs. Exactly, what is it?

34. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 12, 2009

I'm REALLY, REALLY OK with the teens.

They're trick or treating. No costumes, true, but no eggs or shaving cream, just asking for candy that I don't need to eat anyway. So I'm absolutely OK with them trick-or-treating.

As to our house: I'll hit the store the week before Halloween, even venturing into the hated Walmart since they always have the cheapest candy in town. I like to give out "good candy"-- Nestles or Hersheys chocolate, along with some lollipops for the little ones.

But if I buy it now it will be a distant memory by the 31st, so I'll hold off.

And if it's a nice day, we'll offer a beer or a soda to some of the parents walking the kids around-- that can be tiring!

35. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Oct 12, 2009

Since we moved, I hand out nothing! We get no trick or treaters here! When I lived in the city, I handed out reeses, snickers and kitkats.

36. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 12, 2009

I think it is a regional term for Mischief Night, the night before Halloween.

37. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Oct 12, 2009

Butter scotch and the ones in the red paper wrappings.

38. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2009

We don't hand out anything... No one stops here anymore. Used to have fam members make a trip up here, but not anymore.

I trick or treated all through school even high school, but I would dress up!!! I LOVE Halloween. Luckily I had a lot of friends who trick or treated with me... I should say if I didn't have a game to play in!!! LOL!!!

39. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 13, 2009

We have five grocery bags full of Snickers, M&M's, and all sorts of things that are calling my name! But they are in a storage bin in the pantry so they are at least out of sight!

40. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 13, 2009

The night before Halloween- TP in trees and on houses, shaving cream, eggs...general mayhem. No blood, just mess. I know people who sit on their porch with a hose to squirt the 'hoodlums'. I just generally 'maintain a presence'...I don't really care about the TP in the trees on the street...I just don't want kids running through my yard.

41. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 13, 2009

teacherinTexas, they are calling my name, too.