What kind of books should I buy for my 5th grade class?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Peachyness, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 21, 2007

I think I kept my Garfield comic books. I can't remember. Hmmmm... We just did spring cleaning and I got rid of some books that I didn't think would work in 5th grade. Geeeeee, now I'll have to go look. I do have some Calvin and Hobbes books, but they're my special books. :)

OH, and I have no clue about Scholastic Warehouse. I live in the valley of CA where there's not much going on. So I'll have to look into that. Does Scholastic.com have a way to search for nearby wearhouses?

2. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 21, 2007

3. redbird5

redbird5 Rookie

Apr 21, 2007

i usually try to purchase books in sets...unless i really like that single book...my kids ask me all the time what i think they should read and when i give them ideas it always seems like 2-3 at a time want to read that book on the side...when i buy them in sets this way its easy for them all to read it...another great way to buy from scholastic is using your points as much as possible..i only hand out order forms that have the maximum amount of bonus points so that i reap the benefits!! happy hunting!!

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Apr 21, 2007

Upsadaisy...

I am in awe of you and your class library! Will you please share how you have it organized? What procedures do you have for students to check out books? I'm so impressed I'm unable to formulate questions! :wow:

5. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Apr 21, 2007

Daniel's Story is a good one!!! Fiction about a young boy during the Holocaust! The Hundred Dresses is a great story too! Hatchet by Gary Paulsen...most others I was thinking of have already been mentioned...Number the Stars, Tuck Everlasting, Charlotte's Web, Frindle, Sarah Plain and Tall, the Little House on the Praire Series, A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snickett, Where the Red Fern Grows, Old Yeller...

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 21, 2007

Oh, my kids loved Hatchet. Good one. And Frindle. In 8 years, not one of my kids has ever read any of the Little House series. Isn't that weird?

My clasroom library is set up just like a real library, as far as shelving. Since I have such small classes (8 this year), checkout is no problem. They simply choose a book, add it to their own book logs, sign a sheet which I keep, then return it when their book project is done. My rule is only one book can be taken home at a time. They can read others at school when they have the time.

Peachy, those all sound good, except maybe My Father's Dragon - I may be mixing it up with another, easier book, though.

Freak the Mighty is a good book that doesn't get mentioned much.
    My kids liked Indigo by Alice Hoffman. I loved Sahara Special by Codell (about a girl missing her father who is put into spec ed).
    I have about 20 Nancy Drew and 15 Hardy Boys, but they aren't too popular.

I keep a separate section, too, for picture books, legends, and holiday books. I read aloud Holly and Ivy by Rumer Godden every year in December.

Fantasy series from Scholastic, like Redwall and some others are popular (I just don't like fantasy, myself.)

7. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Apr 21, 2007

Oooh, don't forget about Pippi Longstocking!

8. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Apr 21, 2007

In my district, we require all students to read 6 predetermined books as well as a Newbery of their choice each year. They also have SSR times and logs to fill out about their reading. For these reasons, I provide a mix of materials for free reads in my classroom library - lots of Newberys but a lot of "junk food" also. Reluctant readers will read Matt Christopher books (better for 5th than 6th), Calvin and Hobbes (vocab. is awesome), Garfield, anything sports related. Right now, there's a lot of interest from boys and girls in the "Guardians of Ga'hoole" series.

9. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 23, 2007

I wasn't sure about including Freak the Mighty. I thought maybe it would be a bit heavy for some of my students. I love Pictures of Hollis Woods though. Many girls at this age get interested in the whole orphan theme. I really can't explain why that is. No More Dead Dogs is a great read aloud, though I think I'd encourage only some of my higher readers to give it a go since it has three or four different characters telling the story. My boys have recently become hooked on those Choose Your Own Adventure books-another good series for those reluctant readers. And they have been rereleased so you can find them at the book stores!

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 23, 2007

Island of the Blue Dolphins by O'Dell
    Winn Dixie, DiCamillo
    Tuck
    Everlasting, Babbitt
    Maniac Magee, Spinelli
    Shiloh, Naylor
    Long Way from Chicago, Peck
    Rascal, North
    Westing Game, Rasking
    Witch of Blackbird Pond, Speare
    Secret School, Avi (easy)
    Strider, Cleary (easy)
    Dear Mr. Henshaw, Cleary (easy)

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 23, 2007

Okay, I finally sent in my PO for books and other supplies. I"M DONE!! For now. :) Unfortnately, for $100 I wasn't able to get ALL of the books you guys suggested, but I will make a list of the books I didn't get and just get them later with my bonus points or as the year goes on. So, thank you all for the suggestions. They truly helped me.

12. Amers

Amers Cohort

May 10, 2007

Oh man was I happy to see this thread!! :D I start teaching 5th grade in the fall, and I want a big, diverse classroom library. I had no idea where to start! I'm not very good at gauging what books are good for what grades.

Does anyone have the Harry Potter series in their classrooms? Have you had any negative reactions from parents about it?

13. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

May 10, 2007

I know it's too late for your purchase order, but don't forget Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn. Girls still fall in love with the Little House on the Prairie series, too.

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 10, 2007

I'll definately keep those in mind. I've been given a large box full of books from the teacher whom I am taking over. I will also get some more books by another teacher. I'll see what kind of books I'm getting before buying any. Tonight was Open House and part of Open House is that kids can buy books at the book fair for the teachers. So, one family bought me a book for my 5th grade class for next year! I'm so happy :D

15. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

May 10, 2007

Very cool! And I see you got your animation running, lol!

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 11, 2007

Yeah. It's not the one that I really wanted, but oh well. I love Hobbes!

17. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 12, 2007

I keep a set in my room, and have never had any negative reactions from parents. I haven't read the books aloud to them thoug I'd like too. I think if I did have a parent express concern or displeasure at the presence of the books I'd as why they felt that way without being judgemental. In the end I would probably tell them that I respect their opinion on the matter and that if they did not want their child to read the books that was up to them. However, the books (in my opinion) do teach a lot of good lessons about friendship, loyalty, and so forth. I would keep them on the shelf for other kids. They also make great examples of writing the six traits.

18. Amers

Amers Cohort

May 12, 2007

I want to get a set of HP books for my class library. I have them all in hard back, but I'm not taking those to school....those are mine. I'm going to get paperbacks if I can find them. I know some people have issues with them, but I think they are so well written, and kids love to read them. I'm glad people haven't been having angry parents demanding they remove the books. Hopefully I won't either.

19. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 12, 2007

I have most of them. I buy them only at thrift stores, though.

20. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 14, 2007

I just picked up some books at the Scholastic warehouse sale. Is anyone familiar with the The Penderwicks?

21. Tolmanbridge

Tolmanbridge New Member

May 31, 2007

My grade fours love to read. The subs have said they have never seen a class so eager to read. I model reading while they are and read the same novels so I can discuss them with the students. I use Literature Circles so the students have a choice of hundreds of novels to read. Right now the books my students love are as follows:
    Silverwing and the sequels
    Guardians of G'Hoole
    The Warriors series
    Pendragon series
    Lord of the Rings
    Touching Spirit Bear
    Freeze tag and other books by Carolyn Cooney
    Searching for David's Heart
    Eragon and by the same author
    Hatchet and other books by the same author

22. pastdweller

pastdweller Rookie

May 31, 2007

Roald Dahl!

23. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

May 31, 2007

I've got the Harry Potter books, and they are STILL popular. I picked up all the books from the Sunshine State Reading List plus whatever else looked cool. :)
    I've got all sorts of stuff covering all topics. Harry Potter, Goosebumps (STILL popular, again!), Alex Rider, American Girls, Artemis Fowl, Charlie Bone, Narnia, pretty much everything from Gordon Korman, Lizzie McGuire, Midnight Library, the Jack Sparrow series, Series of Unfortunate Events, WITCH, Warriors, Winning Season, etc. After my first year, I've got almost 300 books, more than most teacher in my school! It helps that I work in a bookstore. :)
    Anyway, used bookstores are GOLDMINES, as are garage sales ($5 for that HUGE box of books?!? DEAL!). Borders have a good bargain section, but Books-A-Million has a ****LOAD of good, new books for REALLY cheap (like $1 sometimes) which you still get your teacher discount on!
    If I can figure out how to attach something, I'll attack my list of books from my class library so you can browse through it.

24. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 1, 2007

Here is a website you might want to check out. It has book lists of recomended titles by grade level preK-8. I think the books are teacher selected, but I could be wrong. Anyway, I'd suggest getting books on lists for the grade below and above your own so you have a wide range of reading materials for different ability levels. PS These may be Read-Aloud titles; judge for yourself based on your class' abilities.

www.hedgehogbooks.com/index.html

25. Jame

Jame Comrade

Jun 1, 2007

I will probably be repeating books already suggested but here are books my 5th graders love. :)
    Number the Stars
    *Hatchet, Brian's Winter, Brian's Hunt, Brian's Return, Soldier's Heart
    *Series by Gordon Korman: Dive, Island, On the Run, Kidnapped
    *Books by Peg Kehret-especially Nightmare Mountain, Earthquake *Terror, Escaping the Giant Wave http://www.pegkehret.com/kidsframe.html
    *The Time Bike
    *Dear America and My Name is America books
    *Sally Warner books: Sort of Forever, How to Be a Real Person in Just Three Days
    *Out of the Dust
    *Frindle, One Room, all Robert Clement books
    *Beverly Cleary Books (Ramona, Fudge, Mouse on a Motorcycle, Dear Mr. Henshaw, Strider)
    *Judy Blume books
    *Judith Voight books
    *Dan Gutman books: Babe and Me, Honus and Me, etc., Kid Who Ran for President, Kid Who Became President
    *Soup, Soup and Me, The Teacher's Funeral
    *Chronicles of Narnia series
    *Sharon Creech Bks.:Love That Dog, Granny Torrelli Makes Soup, Pleasing the Ghost
    *Music of Dolphins
    *Sadako
    *Hiroshima
    *Twenty and Ten
    *The Bad Beginning, and sequels
    *Chicken Soup for the Preteen's Soul
    *Little House Books
    *Where the Red Fern Grows
    *Island of the Blue Dolphins
    *Gilly Hopkins
    *Bridge to Terrabithia
    *Sarah, Plain and Tall books
    *Shiloh books
    *Matt Christopher books
    *Dean Hughes books
    *Sounder
    *Old Yeller
    *A Wrinkle in Time
    *My Side of the Mountain series
    *We'll Always Remember You, Roberto Clemente, Pride of Puerto Rico
    *Jackie Robinson books: Jackie and Me; Jackie's Nine; Thank You, Jackie Robinson; Stealing Home
    *In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson

Books I use for novel studies are: Dear Mr. Henshaw, The Hundred Dresses, Pedro's Journal, Kid Who Ran For President,The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, Sign of the Beaver, My Side of the Mountain, George Washington's Socks, and our all time favorite: Night of the Twisters. :)

26. Jame

Jame Comrade

Jun 1, 2007

I collect multiple copies and do lit circles instead of DEAR reading. The kids really seem to love sharing a book together and get so excited by what they read. It is so rewarding when they literally run up to me to share something from a book they are reading that has touched them in a special way. :)

We also do Lunch Bunch twice a week where students read a book independently and then meet over lunch to discuss it. :) Borrowed from Laura Candler's amazing site!http://home.att.net/~teaching/lunchbunch.htm

I use all of my bonus points from scholastic book orders to add to our library. The kids order from both Lucky and Arrow book clubs. I also set myself a limit to spend on e-bay each summer, and have really gotten wonderful books the past two summers in that way. At our school, when we do requisitions, we can put a rider or placeholder in which is what I do for e-bay each summer. I pay for the books, but then am reimbursed by my district up to the amount in the placeholder. As suggested before, rummage sales and library discards are also great places to collect books. And though I hate to confess to it, I , like most teachers, spend way too much of my own money! Books are my weakness! :eek:

Best of luck in 5th grade! 5th grade is a wonderful level to teach!! :angel:

27. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2007

:D :D :D :D

I got the books that I ordered from Scholastic. I also recieved boxes and boxes full of books from the other teacher. One of my summer projects is to put colored dots and my name on my books. Hee, hee.... so excited!!! :D :D :D

28. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2007

Thanks for sharing your ideas for reading. I will have to think about how I will do reading in my class. Our last day was today and along with the end of the year festivities, we also had to pack up and move all of our things, so I'm exhasted. Too exhausted to really think right now.

29. Jame

Jame Comrade

Jun 1, 2007

Rest up and enjoy your break!! We have been out for a week, and it has been so wonderful! I think I am finally rested and recovered! I had better be, as I have had a very bad case of the lazys all this week! :D BUT, now I am getting excited to start planning for next year....there is nothing like turning over that proverbial new sheet, full of endless possibilities!! Best of luck in fifth grade and enjoy all those new and exciting changes in store for you!!! :angel:

30. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 1, 2007

When I get used books, I clean the covers with hand sanitizer. Makes me feel better.

31. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2007

Good idea! :eek:

32. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 1, 2007

Someone (on another thread) mentioned laminating paperback books. I've laminated posters before, but not books. Can someone clue me in to how this is done?

33. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Jun 1, 2007

I wrote down a lot of the suggestions the first time this thread came through.

Just wanted to add - I have started reading all of the new books that I get for my library. I get a lot at the bookfair and picked up a series at B&N that a student recommended. When I bring in a book I have just read, I make a big deal about adding it to the library. I comment on how much I have enjoyed it. Fortunately, I truly have enjoyed all of them so that makes it easier. My kids run over each other to get the books that I have read. Quite a few have picked up books and actually stuck with them. Usually they take them for that 15 minutes of quiet reading and them put them back.

34. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Jun 2, 2007

Is it, The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters ?

If so, I read that book this past year. It was one of our Texas Bluebonnet Award books. It was a cute book!

35. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jun 2, 2007

One suggestion that I have for labeling your books is to get a set of address labels with a monogram. I got gold labels with my last name as the monogram and the "address" part says,
    first line.... From the library of...
    second line.... Mrs. W______.
    third line... Please return when finished.

I place them on the bottom of the spine... slick, slick, slick!!! I have had great success with this. My books can easily be identified because of the gold label. As a matter of fact, this year one of my students attempted to take one of my books to replace the copy from our school library she had lost. She ripped off my label which damaged the paper on the spine... she was caught red-handed.

36. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2007

Good idea! Thnaks for sharing how you lable your books. And they have gold lables? I'll have to look for those.

37. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 2, 2007

I reinforce the covers and spines of my paperbacks with clear packaging tape. This helps keep the covers from being ripped off easily.

38. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 2, 2007

If fantasy won't horrify your parents, try Sherwood Smith's Wren series (Wren to the Rescue, Wren's Quest, Wren's War), which is set in another land and another time, or Diane Duane's entirely nifty Young Wizards series (begins with So You Want to Be a Wizard), which is mostly set in contemporary suburban New York state. Both do really well with key character and ethical issues, and both are very well written (Sherwood, in fact, has taught middle school English).

39. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 12, 2007

Try "bookcloseouts" for getting books cheap!

40. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 12, 2007

Another fun fantasy series to read are Anne McCaffery's Dragonriders of Pern series. She has some others that are more space travel oriented, but I love the dragonriders!