What kind of books should I buy for my 5th grade class?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Peachyness, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2007

Hello there again!! Another quick question. I would like to order chapter books for my 5th grade class, but I'm not sure what kind of books to order. It's so much easier buying books for kinder!!! :D Right now I'm going to order from Scholastic.

3. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Apr 18, 2007

My fifth grade son is currenty reading in his class Bud Not Buddy. He also read Chronicles of Narnia. How about fables, fokelores and tall tales?

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 18, 2007

Chapter books - wow there are so many good ones.

The Cay
    Because of Winn Dixie
    Maniac Magee
    Number the Stars
    How to Disappear and Never Be Found
    My Side of the Mountain
    The Phantom Tollbooth

Kids like fantasy a great deal at this age. There are good series available at Scholastic. Some still like animal stories.

You will need a selection of biographies and historical fiction, too, as well as poetry. Find a good illustrated American history book for reference.

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 18, 2007

I LOVE The Tale of Despereaux: Being the Story of a Mouse, a Princess, Some Soup, and a Spool of Thread by Kate DiCamillo and it was a Newbery Medal winner a couple of years ago. The Tequila Worm was really good too I think it won a few awards last year. Out of the Dust is a great historical fiction book and another Newbery winner. It is so gut-wrenching and wonderful! Kevin Henkes has some excellent chapter books and you probably know his picture books! Olive's Ocean is my favorite Henkes chapter book. The Year of the Dog just came out recently and was a really cute book about different cultures and blending into American culture while keeping your families culture. I could probably ramble on so let me know if you need more!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2007

Thank you for the titles. I will make a list and begin searching for those.

Tasha, feel free to ramble on some more! I'm just so new at this upper grade thing that I'm so confused.

7. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Apr 18, 2007

Books for 5th grade

How about:
    The Giver
    Bridge to Terabithia
    Dear Austin: Letters from the Underground Railroad
    Esperanza Rising
    Frindle
    Those are just some off the top of my head.

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2007

I have Esperanza Rising!! Yay, I have ONE of the books mentioned! I am on my way.

Thanks for the list. I was planning on getting Bridge to Terabithia. Scholastic has it for like $3.00. Sigh... Books are so expensive.

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Apr 18, 2007

Amen to that! I've been picking up a book here & a book there -- some picture books as well as chapter books. I would buy more, but I have no idea what grade I'll end up teaching! I'd really like to teach 3rd-5th, but one never knows, so... Good luck!

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2007

When I was student teaching, I got a TON of books ranging from kinder level to high school. I bought some, got some free from the teacher's lounge I was student teaching at, and got quite a bit from one of the courses I took at the univeristy. I also had no clue what I was teaching, but kept all of the books I got. I ended up getting a job as a kinder teacher, so those lower grade books came in handy. Now that I'm moving to fifth, all of those chapter books I collected will come in handy. Plus, I will keep some of the picture books in my class to use during reader's and writier's workshop. DON"T buy TOO many books right now, though. When I got hired as a kinder teacher at the school I'm at now, I got so many kinder books that I don't know what to do with them! I will put a message up in the lounge asking for some chapter books. Hopefully I get some good ones. :)

11. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

Apr 18, 2007

My daughters love 'The Babysitters Club' series! They are in 5th and 6th grades and they'll discuss the characters and different books at length.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 19, 2007

Don't forget non-fiction. Students this age are fascinated by books on: nature, animals, sharks, history, cars, natural disasters, adventure, etc. My non-fiction baskets are those most browsed in my room.

13. kburen

kburen Cohort

Apr 19, 2007

There's a new series by RL Stein....Rotten School. My 5th graders love it. They will rush to be the one who gets to check one out at the library.

14. goopp

goopp Devotee

Apr 19, 2007

my kids love non-fiction books, but they usually check those out from the media center. They love Guiness World Record Books, too. We read Shades of Grey when we studied the Civil War. They enjoyed that a lot.

Try Goodwill, thrift stores, garage sales and your public library (they sell old books, cheap!!).

Have fun teaching 5th grade! I love it, but I'm being reassigned and also moving to 4th grade.

15. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 19, 2007

My students are into the Sammy Keyes mysteries, the baseball card books (Babe & Me, Honus & Me, etc) and, unfortunately, the Clique novels. Avoid those last ones in my opinion. Holes is a good one to have, almost anything by Andrew Clements, the Ripleys Believe It or Not non-fiction books. I buy non-fiction and biographies at 5th grade reading level down to about 3.5, also some slightly above. Non-fiction and biographies have so much information to digest I don't want the kids getting hung up on unfamiliar words.

16. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

Apr 19, 2007

Speaking of non fiction, my girls LOVE the Bathroom Reader series!!!They are wonderful and facinating trivia books

17. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 19, 2007

Hmmm, I have A LOT of a series called Babysitters kid sister or something like that. I have some of the regular Babysitters book. That's good to know! :)

18. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 19, 2007

OOOH, that's good to know. I'll have to look into that.

19. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 19, 2007

I never heard of the Clique novels. Can you expalin what they are about just so I know for the futre.

I have a good collection on non fiction books. My mom bought me a TON when I was growing up. I just don't have a lot of fiction books.

20. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 19, 2007

I won't keep the Clique books, Babysitter's Club, or R. L.Stein in my room. I don't want to encourage any more preteen behavior than they will come up with on their own. And our school is not in favor of scary books.

21. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

Apr 19, 2007

Really? My daughters are not precocious at all. My daughters' piano teacher told me she loved Babysitter's Club, and she was a homeschooled Seventh Day Adventist, and is the ultimate Christian role model for my daughters. She just got married and I'm pretty sure that the white dress actually meant something in her case, if you know what I mean.

I'll admit, I haven't read any of them myself. What's specifically is wrong about them?

22. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Apr 19, 2007

I loves the BSC when I was a kid. I haven't seen them in stores recently, are they still being published?

I have my whole collection somewhere. I was obsessed. Seriously. I actually think, in retrospect, they were pretty good books. I did get some activities for my own baby-sitting days from them... and they were good for friendship and teamwork. I'm curious, 'daisy, as to what you find offensive about them.

Note that it's been a LONG time since i read them. ;)

23. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 19, 2007

I'm curious too as to what's wrong with the BSC books. I can understand not wanting books like Harry Potter, but BSC?? I never really read the books, but I did use to watch the tv show on Disney. I LOVED that show because it was just a nice show about friendship, getting along, solving problems, and learning new things. There was no foul language, drugs, sex... just a nice show based on the book. So, I really wouldn't mind having the series in my room. If they're going to read about preteens, I much rather have them be my role models. But, of course, I haven't actually read the books. Just watched the show based on them.

24. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

Apr 20, 2007

LOL, BSC is a nursing abbreviation for bedside commode.:D

You can find tons of Babysitters Club books in thriftstores, that's where we found ours. I recommend thriftstores to pick up recycled kid's paperbacks! You can't beat the price.

25. SenoritaL

SenoritaL Rookie

Apr 20, 2007

Saddle Club

The Saddle Club books are a big hit with my 5th grade girls.
    Going back to the classic, I found a collection of "Hardy Boys" mysteries at my parents house, and I have a few kids in my class that really enjoy the mysteries!

26. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 20, 2007

My own daughter read all the Babysitter's Club books, but not for school. I think they are fine for pleasure reading at home, but I don't think the quality of writing is very good, so that is why I don't keep them in the classroom. The Clique is all about the worst of preteen behavior, so now way. I allowed my daughter to read R.L. Stein, too, and she loved them. Again, though, not for school.

27. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 20, 2007

I have the Babysitters Club books, but the popularity runs in spurts. The Clique novels are based in an elite college prep middle school. Their is a group of girls that is basically queen bees: mean, nasty, backstabbing, everything we try to dissuade. I read half of the first book only because I just couldn't stomache the cruelty of the characters towards each other. The girls in my room who read the books religiously are turning into queen bees, and it's rather unsettling to watch the change. They can be really wonderful girls.

28. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 20, 2007

Alright, I found out I have this monday to spend $150. Alright, not so much time to search around for great deals. I found in Scholastic Kid's Pick categlogue the book, Flat Stanely. It's .95 and says that it's for ages 7-10. Would this be a good book to get. If so, I could get multiple for reading groups.

29. roamer

roamer Companion

Apr 20, 2007

I'd stick with Newbery books to start out. I haven't read Flat Stanley, so I can't comment one way or another on it. I have read most of the recent Newbery books and absolutely love most of them. Bud, Not Buddy mentioned earlier is one of my all-time favorites. I'm working on a thematic unit (for a class I'm taking, not one I'm teaching) using Richard Peck's Long Way From Chicago. It's a great book as well. By sticking with Newbery books, you know that you are using good quality literature and you always have that Newbery award to back you up if parents take issue with a book you use.

The reading teacher I'm working with right now often uses books such as How to Eat Fried Worms, Anne of Green Gables, Sarah, Plain and Tall, Chocolate Fever, Charlotte's Web, Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry and many others. She uses trade books rather than a reader.

30. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 20, 2007

No, Flat Stanely is much too young. Any books that say ages 7-10 are probably too young.

31. redbird5

redbird5 Rookie

Apr 20, 2007

5th grade book suggestions...

i think it really depends on what you are using your books for...if you are using them to fill your classroom library then i would suggest going to any sort of reading assessment that you do (for example AR) and finding ones that fall in your kids range...if it is for reading groups use catalogs like lakeshore or any other teaching catalog..they give decent deals on books and you get the guide that goes with...
    book suggestions:
    sign of the beaver
    courage of sarah noble (its an upper 4th grade book)
    bridge to terabithia
    tuck everlasting ( my kids LOVED this one!)
    sounder
    loser
    maniac magee
    i also have kids that love historical fiction so i have some copies of my brother sam is dead, april morning, or johnny tremain.

good luck!!!

32. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 20, 2007

I'm so glad that I posted this question. It's quite obvious that I have no clue what 10 year olds read!!! Plus, it's a little frustrating being given this short time frame to buy books.

Okay, now Upsidaisy, you mentioned Flat Stanley may be too young, but what about students who may be low. I'm just thinking that I would like to stock my library with books that will meet most of my students' needs.

I want to fill my library up with a good selection for readers' workshop. Plus, I want to do this reading program where they read a certain number of books, do a project, and move across space. I call it, race through space. :) So, I want to have a good selection of books to offer to my kids. I have a 3rd grade teacher who is retiring and will give me a TON of books, but she won't give them to me till the end of the year. Sigh..... I hate shopping.

33. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2007

So do I, but buying books doesn't count as shopping!:D

34. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

Apr 21, 2007

I'm telling you, Peachy, my daughter has spent hours reading the Bathroom Reader. There are many books in the series. The Bathroom Reader Plunges into History is a great one with many interesting and entertaining history tidbits.

35. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 21, 2007

Peachy - you can find low level novels that they didn't read already when they were in 2nd grade. That's where Flat Stanley is a problem - lower grades use it frequently.

For low level readers and young students, animal stories are wonderful. The Animal's Ark series is good. Also, Pony Pals. Books by Bill Wallace are very good. Even the Magic Treehouse series is okay (though they may have been exposed to it in perhaps 3rd grade). Redbird's suggestions were all wonderful. I used to keep a separate section of low-level, short novels. None of the kids chose from them so I ditched that set-up.

I have maybe 800 fiction titles, 100 biography and historical fiction, several hundred non-fiction and reference. Most of these were purchased for little money in thrift stores. Some were gifts or cast-offs from families. But, I do love searching for them.

If I had a computer in my classroom, Peachy, I would love to send you a list. I don't keep a database of them or anything. More trouble than it's worth, for me.

One other thought - go to the children's librarian in any library and ask to see books for 10-11 year olds.

Good authors: Avi, Creech, Clements, Jean Craighead George, Marguerite Henry (horse stories), L'Engle (Wrinkle in Time), ...... I am drawing a blank now ..... sigh. More later.

36. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 21, 2007

Alright, I went through Scholastic Teacher store, rather than their catelogues and found a ton of books you guys mentioned.

Now, while searching for the books, I found that they have sets of books put together. This one is 4-6 grade and is $41.00. I will still get the other books that I put into my cart- that came out to about $21. What do you think of these books?

Set Includes:

* Because of Winn-Dixie
    * Bridge to Terabithia
    * Call It Courage
    * A Long Way from Chicago
    * Miracles on Maple Hill
    * Misty of Chincoteague
    * My Father's Dragon
    * Philip Hall Likes Me. I Reckon Maybe
    * Princess Academy
    * Sarah
    * Plain and Tall
    * Sounder
    * The Summer of the Swans
    * Walk Two Moons
    * The Wanderer
    * The Whipping Boy

Each book comes out to $2.73

The other books I've ordered so far is:
    Maniac Magee
    Loser
    Number of the Stars

37. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 21, 2007

Now that I realized I'm not bound to those Categlogues, but that I can search for titles that I want, I'm having much more FUN!

38. funeoz

funeoz Comrade

Apr 21, 2007

39. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 21, 2007

Even if I could shop on Ebay, the deadline to get the PO in is on Monday by 5. Plus, what would I do if I lost the bid?? That's a good idea, but I don't think they would let me spend it on Ebay anyways.

40. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 21, 2007

41. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 21, 2007

Is there a Scholastic warehouse in your area? It's about time for them to be having their clearece sales. I usually buy books that say ages 8-12 if they don't have a reading level on them. I have a few lower lever books that sometimes the kids will pick up, but not tons. Herbie Jones books and Time Warp Trio are good serieses to have for your lower readers. Also comic books like Garfield, Calvin and Hobbes, Heathcliff, etc. They are not as intimidating for some kids because of the pictures and small amount of print.