what kind grade book?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by irisheyes, Aug 28, 2006.

1. irisheyes

irisheyes Rookie

Aug 28, 2006

I've been in school for about a week and find the grade book issued by the school not very useful. I don't seem to have enough blanks for all the student's information. Is there a better system? Is there a good program to buy for my computer? How do you put all that information on one square? Should I purchase a better grade book? Thanks for your help.

3. musicbean

musicbean Rookie

Aug 28, 2006

Markbook

There is a grade program called MarkBook that is really good and easy to use. There is lots of space for student information, and you can set it up to calculate your grades however you want - by mode or median, and you can give different types of assignments different weights. Only thing is you must purchase a new copy each year. If you want something a little cheaper, I have also used a program called Classmarks (classmarks.com). I think it's a $10 one-time registration fee, or they have a free version for you to try. Does a lot of the same things as MarkBook but not quite as many or as fancy.

4. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 28, 2006

http://www.teacherease.com

Register for a free account...I've used it for the past 4 years and I'd be lost without it!!!

It's web based so you will never be without it.

It's free for a year to the first 3 teachers to use it at a school...very easy to navigate....keeps attendance, behavior logs, parent contact info, lesson plans, grades, etc....

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2006

I think that most of the grade books are fairly similar-- a grid with lots of little squares for individual grades. I'm not sure what you're looking for, so here are some general suggestions:

-- think about making each version of an assignement (test, quiz...) worth the same number of points. So my tests are out of 100, my quizzes are out of 10 and so on. If you choose not to do that, then at the top of each column of grades, note the possible score in red.

-- I give each of my 5 classes 6 pages in my grade book: two for each trimester. (I put my homework checks into a 2nd gradebook-- the one we're given by the school.) On the first pages for each trimester I put quizzes; the second is tests.

--I enter any failing grades in red, so they're easy so spot. (And, no, parents do NOT ever get to look at my grade book.) It helps as a check at progress and report card time-- I can eyeball my failures and see if they look justified. If a child is absent and needs a makeup, I circle the box; the makeup grade goes into the circle.

I'm not sure what other info you want to record-- can you be a bit more specific?

6. irisheyes

irisheyes Rookie

Aug 28, 2006

I want to record attendance (excused/unexused, tardy), homework, participation grades, journal and test grades. It would be great if I could have an average tabulator so I could answer the endless questions from the students what their grade is.

7. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 28, 2006

Please look at the online gradebook I mentioned in an earlier post on this thread.

8. ddb23

ddb23 Companion

Aug 28, 2006

I've always used microsoft excel. You can do anything you want to in a spreadsheet, and the format is easily adjusted.

We have to turn in an official gradebook for the school records, but I am able to print my records.

9. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 28, 2006

This gradebook is printable as well. You also have the averages the minute you enter any grade. You can also print progress reports and missing work sheets to give to students whenever you want.

10. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 29, 2006

I used teacherease last year & I loved it! I like having it web-based so I can enter grades whereever I am. I think my school is going to have a school-wide web system this year. I haven't heard yet!

11. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 29, 2006

I'm so glad someone acknowledged that I have been singing the praises of teacherease!!! LOL
    I think it's still so widely unknown but once you try it, why wouldn't people like it? It has made my life so easy as far as grading goes! Thanks for commenting about it!:) :D :) :D

12. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 29, 2006

Our district will be using the Pinnical online gradebook this year.
    I keep a paper one for my sanity. I take attendance, have a spot for 5 seperate gradebooks (math, reading, writing, handwriting, language arts), and space for a behavior log. It also has a section for student info., and a section for a communication log. The back page is even a grade finder. It's a wonderful gradebook.
    The Complete Record Book

13. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 29, 2006

Pinnacal is incredible! We used it once at one of my formr schools!!!

I just was never able to get comfortable with a paer gradebook. So much work to calculate grades when the program can do it for you.

14. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 29, 2006

I let the program calculate it for me, but the paper gradebook is easy to take anywhere. I basically use it for a back-up system.

15. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Aug 29, 2006

But after the first year, the fee is hefty. I would hate to learn to love a program and not be able to live without it and then have to pay so much.

16. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 29, 2006

I guess I never thought about the fee because I always passed my email address to people who would use me as a referral and I'd get three months added on. I've never paid the fee and I've used it a few years. When you sign up for your free year and have another teacher use your email as a referral, you earn more free months.

I can't earn any free time by telling all of you because I don't want to give out my email online but you can try it and get your own network started with people you know. You just tell them to register and use you as a referral.....they get their free time and you earn more for you.

17. PurpleTweety

PurpleTweety Companion

Sep 3, 2006

So glad I found this thread. Our school has used Markbook for several years and I loved it! Unfortunately, the administration decided not to purchase it this year. I have been searching all over for something else.

18. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Sep 3, 2006

I use Gradebook2 special edition for online

19. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Sep 4, 2006

I'm curious to know what you picked (those who hadn't picked a gradebook yet).

20. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2006

Pretty Good Grading Program.....
    I think it was about 50 bucks......silly name but gret program!
    The developer is personable will answer questions etc...