What kind/brand of vacuum do you have/would recommend? Do you love it?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peachyness, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 10, 2010

HELP! I need a new vacuum and I can't seem to find one that has perfect reviews!

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 10, 2010

My mom has had a Rainbow for a long, long time. It does seem to work really well, but it's gross to empty the nasty water other gunk in it. Still better than emptying the clear container in my Hoover and the bags in some others. At least nothing flies around loose.

She has to replace the belts in the carpet brush thing about once a year. They stretch over time and it loses suction.

I don't care for our Hoover, but my only vacuuming is limited to a few throw rugs and one small room. It will do.

4. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Oct 10, 2010

My Miele Turbo Solaris is extremely powerful, lightweight, DURABLE, and works on my hard wood floors and rugs.

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Oct 11, 2010

For my money, you can't beat a Dyson. I've had one for several years.

6. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Oct 11, 2010

I don't think you'll find any product that has perfect reviews! :)

I love my Dyson All Floors. I've never had an issue with it. My parents have had theirs (Dyson Animal) even longer (5 years at least) and it's still great. Definitely worth the investment, in my opinion.

7. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Oct 11, 2010

I have a dyson and love it!

8. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Oct 11, 2010

My wife used to want a dyson but now just wants whatever she won't wear out too soon. I am definately going to get her some super vacumn for Christmas. (trust me when I say its what she wants).

9. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Oct 11, 2010

I bought a Kenmore canister vacuum this summer, and I love it! I read every review possible on every brand of vacuum, and this one was on sale. No product will ever have perfect reviews.

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 11, 2010

I know no one product will have perfect reviews. I was just being silly. What annoyed me was I'll find a vacuum that had decent reviews (many five star ones) and then it'll have several 1 star reviews saying things like, "Don't buy!", "it catches on fire", "run, it'll try to eat your baby!", and etc.

I found this one that I want to look into. I don't want to get the dyson ONLY because it is a bit out of my price range and I only have four smallish rooms in my house that are carpeted. I don't think I need a vacuum like that for such a small job.

Thanks for the help guys!!

11. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Oct 11, 2010

I can understand not wanting to spend the money, but you may be surprised - we live in a 2 BR apartment (3 rooms carpeted) and I'm STILL amazed at the amount of dirt and dust the Dyson picks up every time we vacuum. It's almost gross. lol

12. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Oct 11, 2010

My family has an Electrolux canister and it is the best vacuum we have ever had! Whatever you do, steer clear of Orecks-we had 2 and they were the worst vacuums we ever had.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 11, 2010

This is going to show how much of the housework I do!

Today I needed to use the hose attachment on the vacuum, and I noticed that our vacuum is a Dirt Devil. DH said that our old one was a Hoover. This Dirt Devil is around 8 years old, I guess. I think this is the first time I've used it! :blush:

I noticed that it also has a bare floor setting, so I ended up using it on the entire house. DH was always the vacuum guy back when our entire house was carpet. I use the handheld Shark (love it) for the rugs and a Swiffer and regular wet mop for the floors now that we have hardwood and vinyl except in one room.

The Dirt Devil was pretty good at cleaning, but I've sneezed my head off while using it . . . so the HEPA filter doesn't seem to be doing the job.

14. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Oct 11, 2010

I've had a Kenmore canister for the last 10 years and it is working as good now as when I unpacked it from the box. I will buy another Kenmore when this one dies - hopefully in another 10 years!

15. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 11, 2010

I'm thinking of investing in a Miele.

16. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Oct 11, 2010

Good question! My vacuum is slowly dying out. But when I go to the store, I have no idea what to get.

We have a Bissell, my mom has had 2, and they lasted a few years. But ours...it's only 2 years old. It doesn't suck up like it should, and the floor level changer thing busted (switch from bare floors to rugs).

Dyson sounds like it's won out here...but eeeek..hundreds of dollars on a vac...scares me!

17. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Oct 11, 2010

I've had mine since 2000. It has a knob to turn it down for dusting, higher for vacuuming curtains, higher for rugs, highest for carpet. And there is a REAL difference in each setting. Also, it can take abuse. Like carrying it by its hose. Not that I recommend it, but it can be done without damage.

And the dust filter works. It keeps ALL the dust inside.

18. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 11, 2010

We bought a used Rainbow about 20 years ago and it is still going strong. It sucks all the dust and dirt into a cannister w/water in it, so there is no residual dust flying around - its all stuck in the water. Gunky to empty, yes, but kinda fascinating also to think all that gunk is no longer in your home!

I use it w/attachments on all surfaces. It does my kitchen floor a hundred times better than a broom or swiffer. With a certain, clean attachment I can vacuum my counters and tables and window sills, ceiling fan, frames, everything. And no dust left flying around the room.

19. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Oct 11, 2010

What is the cheapest Dyson out there? Does it come with attachments? Maybe I can ask for one for Christmas! Strange things on my Christmas list this year now that I'm a homeowner!

20. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 16, 2010

To give you guys an update (and to anyone else who may be looking for a new vacuum) I picked up my brand new vacuum from Best Buy today.

I got the LG Kompressor. It's assembly is real easy, except I did have a hard time getting this one screw all the way in. Other than that, it was pretty easy to put the parts together and hook the attachements and hose.

I decided on this vacuum because it had all good reviews and the price was decent (on sale at Best Buy).

I vacuumed my rugs and bedrooms and den, which was much needed since I haven't vacuumed them in months (thank goodness we don't wear shoes in the house!!!).

It picked up a good amount of dust and debris. Suction is strong and it's easy to maneuver. All in all, I'm happy.