What journals, etc. do you have in your room?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by hojalata, Jul 13, 2008.

1. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Jul 13, 2008

What journals/books/collections do you have in your room that students add to all year? For example,
    We have

1) Reading Response journals
    Students respond to read alouds by making connections, retelling, telling fav. part, etc.

2) Learning Journals
    Similar to reading response journals except they are to respond to science and math, or everyday things.

3) Great Word Books
    Students get 10 word cards each week. They read them to a teacher every day and get a tally if they get it right. After 7-10 tallies they get to glue them into their Great Word Book and write a sentence that uses the word. The usually fill up the whole book by the end of the year and they can't believe they didn't know the first words they glued in at the beginning of the year!

4) Poetry Anthology
    We get a new poem every week. We use it for shared reading every day, and use it to search for word families, etc. Then on Friday that put it in their anthology and read through all the poems with a friend.

5) Word Work Binder
    3-Ring binder that houses all the word cheers for the week. (We have word cheers that go with our word wall words for the week.) It also holds their Making Words letters (in trading card plastic organizers--the kind that have 9 pockets per page). It also holds their current word cards (mentioned above) kept in a plastic 3-ring binder pencil holder.

I think that's it. Then they'll have their folders for writers workshop, math ticket folders (my version of math centers), and work to finish later folders.

Last year I did response journals where I wrote back and forth to the students in a composition book, but I'm not doing that this year.

I'm sure other people have some really great ideas and I want to hear them!!

3. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Jul 13, 2008

I do a poetry folder/notebook, like you mentioned. Plus a writing journal. In the past I have done a math journal. This year, I want to use a spiral notebook cut in half (if I get the cheap ones at Walmart). I think I will call it a Math Notebook. Last year, we had Words on the Go Folders for our word wall words. I also do folders for writing and unfinished work.

4. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2008

Could you tell me more about how you use your word work notebooks and how you set them up? I would really love to implement something like this. Are there any sites that you used to set them up? Thanks sooo much!!!!!!

5. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Jul 13, 2008

Sure I will explain it. I love this system and think it is one of the most valuable things I do because it is completely differentiated.

First, I get a sight word list. It's the top 1000 words. Each page has 100 words; so 10 pages all together. Any sight word list would work. Maybe your district uses a set one. Then I get a big huge binder. Each student gets a list, and the students are tabbed so I can find them easily.

I meet with each student and they start reading down the list. When they miss a word (don't know it automatically), I circle it. When they've missed 10 words, I put a line and then the date. I write those missed words on word cards. Each student has his or her own color of word cards. They are rectangles copied on different colors of construction paper.
    We make 2 copies-- one for school, one for home.
    This is fairly labor intensive, so I quickly train parent volunteers how to do this. We do it first thing in the morning, so it is easy for parents who drop of their kids to stay for an 15-20 minutes.

Every morning the students come in and get their word cards out. They read them to a teacher or parent volunteer. If they know it automatically, they get a tally. Once they get 7-10 tallies on a card, I put a star on it, and they can glue it into their Great Word Book. Their great word book is book of construction paper pages, bound by a plastic spiral. They glue their learned words on the left side and then, depending on their level, either write them 3 times, or use them in a sentence.

They write their name on a clipboard and a teacher or volunteer gets them 10 more word cards. (Again, just the ones they don't know from a list.)

Some students last year finished all 1000 words so we made Vocab. cards for them. They had to learn what the words meant.

Here is a link to a website I started to make, but never finished. But it has pictures and more explanation.

http://greenfishclassnews.googlepages.com/home

If you have ANY questions, please let me know. I'd love to help you get it set up. It is wonderful.

6. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Jul 13, 2008

7. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2008

That is really great! Sounds like a wonderful system for getting the kids to know those high freq. words. Where do the kids keep their word cards? Do they have an envelope? You mentioned that you have letter cards in a notebook too I think. Do they make words with them? I am so excited about trying to set this up. I love that you do this first thing in the morning because it seems like such a meaningful thing instead of doing worksheets.!! Thanks SOOO much!

8. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2008

Both are wonderful!!!!! How do you like the word work notebooks? Any tips on using them effectively?:D

9. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Jul 13, 2008

The letter cards in the notebooks are for when we do Making Words. It saves me a lot of time having to pass out the right letters each time and then put them back. Each student now has his/her own alphabet inside the binder.

As for their word cards, last year they kept them in baggies inside their binders. This year I think I'm going to put on their supply list one of those clear plastic 3-ring binder pencil cases. They will be more sturdy and less likely to get lost.

The way I use the binders, they are more for storing things we use throughout the day. They also have the word cheers in them. At the beginning of the year, these cheers are sometimes all some of the kids can read, so they read out of them at DEAR time. An example of a word cheer would be
    i-n, in went the pin. i-n, in went the pin. i-n, in went the pin. (We clap high, medium and low letters as we do them).

10. gab

gab Comrade

Jul 13, 2008

I like all the ideas,hojalata! I was trying to figure out a way to do my word study differently. I already play a game similar to Bang! called "Oh, no!" which is the blank card that when drawn indicates the loss of all cards. We do keep the blank cards in so the game is never ending and do it for a set time. Thanks for sharing!

11. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Jul 13, 2008

Anytime! :)

12. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2008

I agree these are awesome ideas!!!!

13. Daisha

Daisha Companion

Jul 14, 2008

This year my students are going to have two different writing journals, one for the morning prompted journal writing and one for writing during the daily five time in my room.

14. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Jul 14, 2008

Yay, daily 5! I wish I could do Daily 5, but we do reading clubs, which means kids switch classes for an hour for reading instruction. :(

15. 1stGr8

1stGr8 Companion

Jul 14, 2008

I love these ideas! Those binders are awesome. It is such a great use of those Target pocket charts too!:thanks: