What jobs are MUSTS?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by MissaG, Jul 8, 2007.

1. MissaG

MissaG Companion

Jul 8, 2007

I am switching to 3rd grade (from 5 and 6) and will definitely have jobs this year. What jobs are Must Haves for you? I know every classroom is different, but just to get my mind rolling...

Also, I am planning to have a display (on the door I think) that says "We've got our thinking hats on!" I will have pictures of each child on the door and a variety of hats for them to choose from. Each morning, the child will put their hat on their picture. I will use this as attendance and to display which student has which job. Does anyone know if there are a variety of hat cut outs that I can get from anywhere without making them?

3. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Jul 8, 2007

Line leader X 2
    Caboose
    Door monitors X 2
    Lunch bin X 2
    Assistant
    Substitute
    Phone
    Computers X 2
    Clean up Crew X 2
    Desk Inspector
    Flag
    Pet helpers X 2 ( have a hamster)
    Library X 2
    Text books
    Paper passer
    Current Event
    First Aid

I try to come up with a job for every student even if it is something they don't actually get to do that week, if they weren't fired then students get a reward at the end of the week.

4. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Jul 8, 2007

I am switching to groups doing jobs (they are in groups for seating arrangements anyway):
    Group 1 - supplies - sharpen pencils, make sure shelves are neat, pass supplies out, keep papers tidy
    G2 - books - make sure all books are neat and in correct bins, make listening center neat
    G3 - stack chairs, wipe sink and desks with Clorox wipes daily
    G4 - computers/floor - turn off computers, clean all floor
    G5 - passers - pass out and return papers, mailboxes, folders, books

I also have a few individual jobs: morning helper (does calendar/runs errands), afternoon helper (runs errands), line leader, caboose, door holder, substitute

All of the jobs last 1 week. Nobody can go at the end of the day unless their whole group is done.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2007

Class Reporter

Assistant (2)

Homework Checker (2)

Banker

Class Librarian (2)

Light/Computer Technician

Cashier

Homework Agenda Monitor

Economist

Operator

Substitute

Then, I also plan to have team captians at each table group. Their job is to pass out/collect papers to their team, pass out/collect textbooks, encourage kids to get their things out/put away things quickly and quiety.

At the end of the day, each table group is required to clean up and sharpen their pencils.

6. mindy2137

mindy2137 Rookie

Jul 8, 2007

Cute idea! I'm not trying to be rude, but this really is one of my pet peeves "We've got our thinking hats on!" I don't think and I stand to be corrected, but is it correct speech? "We've got our thinking hats on!" Maybe a better way to word that would be "We have our thinking hats on!"

Also, I wouldn't allow them to 'pick' their hat...a fight is sure to begin, I would assign the hats to each student.

7. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 8, 2007

I keep my jobs to a minimum, and the kids seem to like it: Messenger, AM Helper, PM Helper. We switch kids in the jobs about every 3 days.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2007

Technically, you're right. "Have got" is really used to show acquisition, as in "I've got a cold" or "We've gotten our money back." Since we're talking about actions, "have" is a better choice grammatically.

I think in this case, however, either version works. We don't always use correct grammar in everyday speech, and I think that's okay. Don't get me wrong, I love grammar! I'm a foreign language teacher, after all.... But everyday English is different from official, written English. I don't always say "Whom did you see at the restaurant?" Most of the time I say "Who did you see?" even though I know it's incorrect.

9. hawkteacher

hawkteacher Comrade

Jul 9, 2007

BASAM, can you tell me what the current event person responsible for? Do they have to bring in a current event to share (newspaper, magazine, etc) or is it more about current events in your classroom?

Thanks

10. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 9, 2007

BASAM,

How do you make sure each person in the group is helping? Sometimes there is a kid who lets the others do all the work, while they pretend to clean or try to look busy somehow.

I wanted to do something similar with my table groups but was having a hard time seeing how the kids would determine who does what. I was going to have them do it by seat number.

Each table has 4 seats, so they each have a number. 1-4. (One table has to have 5 and the 5th will be my assistant, this will change when we change tables every 2 weeks.)

All the 1's do a job, the 2's etc. I'm just worried that someone won't do their job.

Job 1 - water plants (not daily), wipe counter down, feed fish, fill water bottles

Job 2- dust shelves, organize library, and straighten math, language and art shelves

Job 3- tidy computer lab, check coat hooks at the end of the day, clean under the cubbies

Job 4- pick up floor, wipe boards, wipe classroom tables with Clorox wipes

My assistant will:
    Line leader
    Outside helper
    Messenger
    Homework Checker (just to see if they are all turned in)
    and help #4's at the end of the day because that will take the longest to do.

The reason I am numbering kids is so I can say, "1's can you get the glue for the group, 2's the paper, and so on." This will be great for all that science kit prep, art or other times when materials need to be passed out or put away.

By the way, Miss G, I hope my list of jobs is helpful!

11. griffitham

griffitham Rookie

Jul 9, 2007

Weatherman
    table leaders X4
    line leader
    doorholder
    caboose/light person
    errand runners X2
    clean-up X2

My table leaders get out all of the supplies for their table and pass out papers.