what job to take

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by rojaul, Jul 6, 2007.

1. rojaul

rojaul Rookie

Jul 6, 2007

I currently have a job but I travel 1.5 hours to school in the morning. I interviewed the other day for a school that is 4 minutes away from my house, and I was offered the position today. The problem is that I Like the program that I teach currently, and the new school has a different program/setup. I teach Tech/shop now, and the new school would be all computers/book work. They have no shop or tools. The pay is very similar. (couple hundred dollars difference.) What do I do?

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 6, 2007

Well, for me, 1.5 hours is all I would need to hear - but the real question is, will you be happy teaching the program at the closer location?

4. Pixiewannabe

Pixiewannabe Comrade

Jul 6, 2007

I hate driving, so it would be easy for me.

5. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Jul 6, 2007

I drove an hour to my job last year and I'm moving next month! All I can think is "cha-ching" when I think about the money I will save in gas and tolls! I can't imagine driving for an hour and a half.

6. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 6, 2007

I commuted by car/train/subway 1 hrs 45 minutes each way for a job for 2 years. It was fine at the time but I now have a family and wouldn't dream of anything like that again. I think you just need to figure out what's more important to you - less travel time (and less money spent on gas) or a position you like more. But for me, I'd go with the very short drive unless that job is just not something you'd enjoy at all. If doing the hands on part is what makes you enjoy teaching then maybe it's best for you to stay where you are.

7. teach101

teach101 Companion

Jul 6, 2007

Once you have a short comunte it is hard to go back to a long commute, so really think about why you decided to teach. Do you mind the drive- if not then there you go....I would not have taken such a long drive in the first place hehehe

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2007

Do you like your current program enough to give up three hours of your life every day just driving to and from it? Think of all the things you could do with that extra time! The decision would be an easy one for me.

9. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 6, 2007

I don't like to drive so four minutes would make the job right for me. Also if another job opens up that you think you'd like better you are in the door. Who knows you might end up loving your new job.

10. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jul 6, 2007

I commute 1.5 hours one-way each day (for a grand total of 3 hours commuting [at the least]). My commute has been known to take much longer, though, if a train breaks down, etc.

To be honest, I could get a job closer to my house, but I wouldn't give up the program I'm in for the world. When I think about the quality of the programs near my house, I cringe--but we can't afford a house closer to my job, so we live here & I work there. It is the best place for me to work right now, and it's getting me to where I want to be in the future.

(I also don't have children, and my husband is home in the mornings to walk the dog & run errands--if either of these situations changed, I'm not sure I could handle it.)

11. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2007

I used to commute and once I got a job in my own town, I would never commute again. Time is too precious. I say go for the local job. You will have lots of extra time, which is a gift!

12. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 8, 2007

I would be leaning toward the job closer to home...for one thing, I spend an enormous time in the classroom over weekends and breaks. Also, once you're there, perhaps you'll have a voice in lobbying for some hands-on equipment, tools, supplies, etc. They could just be waiting for the person who knows how to set it all up! It doesn't sound very logical to offer courses without the appropriate tools!

13. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 8, 2007

I agree!!! Think of gas money-especially if it's as high as it is here in TN. I hate to drive long distances. Maybe you could convince them to let you add aspects of the other program. 4 minutes sound great to me. I know it's a big decision though. Just pray about it. Let us know what you decide.

14. rojaul

rojaul Rookie

Jul 9, 2007

I also forgot to mention that the new school is a charter school...

but anyway, I turned down the offer.

Thanks for the feedback!

15. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 9, 2007

And....can you tell us what swayed you that direction??? Don't leave us out on a limb!! :-D

16. rojaul

rojaul Rookie

Jul 10, 2007

lol, sorry.

I turned it down because I Didnt want to be a computer teacher. I like the hands on work that I do now, and This school doesnt offer that kind of hands on problem solving. my classes would have been into to computers for middle school (word, powerpoint, photo shop) and CAD and Inventor.

I want to be able to do those things, but not all year long.