what it your favorite part of second grade?

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by mom2ohc, Dec 3, 2008.

1. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Dec 3, 2008

why do you teach second grade?

what do you like about it?:confused:

3. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Dec 3, 2008

This is my first year in second grade after about 7 in fourth. I love second grade!!!! The kids are sweet, they are eager to learn, and I am having fun. The down side is they require a lot of patience and repeating. I sometimes feel like I am getting paid to not do a lot of work!! It's a lot easier to do adding 7 and 7 then dividing 345 by 12!!!

4. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Dec 3, 2008

To clarify...I taught 15 and a half years of K and about 2/3 of a year of first grade. This is my first year in second. I absolutely love second graders. When you give directions they have a clue!

5. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Dec 3, 2008

my favorite thing is that they are a perfect blend of little and big. they like the little kids stuff, and they can do the big kid stuff. it is a pretty fun grade!

6. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Dec 3, 2008

I love that they are old enough to follow directions pretty well, walk in line quietly, but still young enough to still really love school. I don't think I'd want to teach any other grade!

7. jspader02

jspader02 Rookie

Dec 4, 2008

so true! 2nd is definitely my favorite grade! 1st graders are too spacey and 3rd graders just don't have the charm. :wub:

8. Gwen

Gwen Companion

Dec 4, 2008

I'm new to 2nd grade and coming from Kindergarten. I love that they can do things. Just being able to write their name or tie shoes. The can have conversations with you, ask questions, talk about books. They are still young and sweet but are gaining independence. I love 2nd grade. By far my favorite!

9. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Dec 5, 2008

I moved up from first grade this year. It is amazing what second graders can do now compared to what they could do at the beginning of first. I love that they are more independent. They can read directions on their own, so I don't have to keep repeating them.

10. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Dec 5, 2008

My last practicum was with 2nd grade. I have only worked with k4 and k5. I like that you can have a actual conversation with them and talk to them about things. I also have a love/hate of their independence levels. HA!!
    Its amazing how independent they are but then there are times when you want to help them pack their book bags and when you ask them if they need help they don't. :)

11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 7, 2008

My Two Cents...

Moving up from first grade a couple of years ago, I can definitely agree with you on this one! When I taught first grade, I often felt like a "broken record." I'd repeat the same thing over and over again! :dizzy:

I love second graders because they are so easily motivated! If I get excited about something, they get really excited, too. They love their teacher and don't have bad attitudes yet! I love their willingness to try new things. Second graders can zip up their own jackets (usually), can tie their own shoes (for the most part), and are able to work independently for short periods of time. All second graders want to do is please their teacher! If I'm happy, they're happy!

Hmmm...can you tell that I love second grade??? :thumb:

12. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Dec 7, 2008

I love the wit that they have and their ability to make me laugh! :lol: I love the funny things they say and they can get my jokes, especially when I want to be a little funny. And even when I'm not funny, they get that they are supposed to laugh. First graders just wouldn't be able to do that, ya know?:)
    I love the 2nd grade curriculum also. I love teaching about government, plants, 2-digit addition and subtraction and teaching them songs to go with almost every concept. They feel so smart when they learn to borrow or carry over and I absolutely love teaching the writing and reading curriculum!! Poetry is my favorite and personal narratives. 2nd graders can also start to focus more on comprehension rather than decoding which is the primary focus in 1st grade. Teaching comprehension strategies is so much fun especially when you start to see the higher level thinking as the year goes on, them analyzing the text and interpreting it, not just reading the words.
    Should I stop here??????:lol:

13. tgim

tgim Habitué

Dec 7, 2008

You all said it so well! I love that they can sit in their chairs, tie their shoes, hold their pencils...they still LOVE school, love on you, and they have a sense of humor!

14. black_swan

black_swan New Member

Dec 8, 2008

I love the eagerness :) they are still so babies :) Still waiting for Santa Claus :)

15. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Dec 19, 2008

The end of the day when they've got their backpacks on all ready to go home for a loooooooooooooooooooong Christmas Break. :lol:

Also, their eagerness and innocence. You can have a lot of fun with second graders. They are also so loving. Like yesterday I was like, "GROUP HUG!" and everyoe bumrushed me and they were all jumping up and down squeezing me tight.

It was great and I'm not even a big a hugger.

16. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Dec 31, 2008

I love second grade for all the reasons you have stated above. I'm absolutely in love with my class.:wub:

I am worried that I won't be able to stay in my grade level next year. I don't want to go!!! I think the principal wants me to go back to first. :unsure:

17. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jan 18, 2009

They sound sooo sweet - I am thinking of switching grades -well I should say I know I want to switch grades and am tossed about which ones - I know I will be a better teacher at a lower grade. Did my student teaching with 3rd and a lot of field experience with k-3 but somehow got hired at 5th grade here...I know that isn't my fit. 2nd grade is tops so far for me!