What is your weakest trait as a teacher?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, Feb 16, 2013.

1. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Feb 17, 2013

Organization with paper.

I am very organized on my computer, but not with paper. The more I go paperless, the better organized I seem to get.

2. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Feb 17, 2013

I'm lazy. If I don't think I'll get in trouble for not doing something, I won't do it. I think my time should be spent making awesome lessons for the kids and setting up cool stuff. Not doing random paperwork, going to worthless meetings or writing stupid long lesson plans for someone who doesn't even understand science to read.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 17, 2013

These. I hate talking on the phone period so to call parents is really something I struggle with. I did mention to a coworker that I needed to call a parent to let her know how well her son is doing. I teach in a small town (but I don't live there) and I end up talking to parents while getting gas before heading home or grabbing something to eat. I'm much more comfortable with that!

It's not that I struggle with classroom management per say, but I feel that my style will be viewed by others as being too lax sometimes...which leads to the last.. lack of confidence. I've been at this position for 3 years and sometimes I still feel like I'm in my first year there!

4. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Feb 17, 2013

Classroom management. I teach several small groups throughout the day and just haven't found what works for me yet. I feel like I'm constantly changing things and the kids know it. My kids aren't necessarily bad, just chatty and not following directions but I feel I should have it more control.

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Feb 17, 2013

oh, organization for me too. Well, I'm awesome at organization. Everything has its place and the place makes total sense. I'm not so good at keeping it organized and neat. I'd rather sit a stack of orginals on my desk after making copies than put them back in the appropriate folders/sleeves. I guess that makes me a bad housekeeper instead.

6. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Feb 17, 2013

It's nice to see I'm not the only one who gets nervous on the phone! I don't like talking to people I don't know on the phone either. I order pizza online, and if I couldn't do that, I probably wouldn't get any! Luckily a lot of parents pick up their kids after school so I can just catch them there. I also have a language barrier with some families and we only have one interpreter for the entire building, so I don't want to overwhelm her.

I'm honestly not one for long range planning. I personally feel it's a waste of time because you end up changing so much anyway. I plan one week at a time, and if I could swing it I'd almost rather plan day by day (don't want to risk something coming up though and not being able to get the next day's plans done). The district provides a curriculum map so I know in general what topics are coming next. Even if I analyze a pre test or whatever, sometimes the kids pick up the material way faster than I thought or sometimes they just don't get it and need more days or different types of examples than I originally thought. We're required to have detailed plans which I don't like because in each lesson I really go off of the feedback I'm getting from the kids.

I don't know exactly how to describe it, but my weakest area is that "being excited all of the time" thing. I've seen some teachers teach that just look thrilled to be talking about fractions or whatever all day. I'm an introvert and I just don't know how they do it! Kids like my class and they are making gains, but I think it is noticeable in walkthroughs and things like that. In my last school they kind of liked that about me and said the kids were more "calm/relaxed" with me because they were picking up on my "calm" manner...but now that I'm teaching gen ed it's more expected to be super upbeat/excited looking all of the time.

7. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Feb 17, 2013

Organization. I'm a mess-I have things piled everywhere. I need to just take an afternoon and file all of my papers.

8. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Feb 18, 2013

I am very organized, and good at long range planning. However, I am not spontaneous. That is my weakest area in teaching. I see it planned,and when things happen, I get nervous as to how to make it up! I do, but it still gives me anxiety. I also hate to call parents. I do it, but I don't like it.

9. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Feb 18, 2013

I liked this. I am introverted and an engineer by training. I am excited about my topic (math) but am task oriented so I don't have that "perky" vibe that some others do. I am by nature upbeat and optimistic but it doesn't show through I don't think. I have always wanted to be "perky" or "bubbly" or "vivacious" but I don't think the good Lord created engineers in that mold. I think the kids think I am too serious but I also think they know I care about their learning.

10. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Feb 18, 2013

I am so happy to hear you say this! My school system wants us all on the same page at the same time, but yet they are barking at us to adjust our instruction based on data!

I have 5 special Ed. Students that do not understand place value which is making it difficult for them to learn 2 digit addition, etc. They also struggle with the concept of addition. My time would be far better spent with them working on place value and basic addition. The school system's response is to work with them in small group, but please make sure they can do what is expected. There is only so much time in a day and they aren't my only students with needs. It is so frustrating!!

11. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 18, 2013

Lack of confidence. I never believe I am doing enough or what I am doing is 'good enough'. I always fear parents want their kids in one of the other classes, even though parents tell me how thrilled they are that I am teaching their child.

12. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 18, 2013

Oh, also, differentiation. I have a co worker that can seamlessly meet 3 different levels in her classroom. I collaborate with her often about this, but I just can't seem to get my head around it.

13. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Feb 18, 2013

It is so comforting to hear so many people say this! I plan for the upcoming week on Sunday nights. :unsure:

14. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 18, 2013

I plan for the next day at 4:00 after the kids have left.