What is your weakest trait as a teacher?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, Feb 16, 2013.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Feb 16, 2013

What is the one area that you need to fix in yourself as a teacher? What is your plan to fix it?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 16, 2013

I could be better at long-range planning. I always, every single year, set a goal for myself to map out my curriculum and write a rough plan for the whole year. I never actually do that. I'm lucky if I can plan a week or two in advance.

4. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Feb 16, 2013

Yes, I would also say long range planning.

5. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Feb 17, 2013

Long range planning and pacing. That is what I struggled with during ST and my 2 weeks basically on my own as a LTS.

6. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Feb 17, 2013

Oh, for sure long range planning. I'm not even sure I know how to make a good unit. :whistle:

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 17, 2013

I wouldn't say that I necessarily need to "fix" anything, but I'd like to challenge my students who are performing above grade-level. I feel that so much time and energy goes into planning for and teaching my neediest students that my higher performing kids often get less of me.

8. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Feb 17, 2013

Calling parents on the phone. I HATE talking to people I don't really know on the phone. I even hate ordering pizza. The thought of calling parents makes me shiver.

9. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 17, 2013

Long range planning is actually something I'm pretty good at doing! I'm good at creating large rough plans that are to be broken up into smaller plans throughout the year.

My main problem is to foster a productive and welcoming class environment where students WANT to learn because it is their personal goal, instead of me chasing after them trying to get them to learn.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 17, 2013

I am bad about taking on too much...it ends up "watering down" my various projects. I'm at a new school and haven't been asked to do as much which is great. I think I'll keep some of my talents and skills to myself to keep it this way. ;)

11. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Feb 17, 2013

Long range planning. This is my 5th year, and I am still planning week-to-week. I might be able to find the time to get more ahead, but I am really bad about sticking to my plans. I can usually finish a math or Sc/SS lesson, but for some reason I am terrible at sticking to my Writing and Reading plans. I rarely finish all the standards in my plans for the week. It's gotten worse now that I've started Daily 5. I just don't seem to have enough time!!

12. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Feb 17, 2013

This isn't my worst trait because I don't really need to talk to parents on the phone but I HATE talking to people on the phone also. I dread calling to make doctors appointments. I probably wouldn't have pizza if I had to call. I am glad someone else feels the same:)

By far my worst is classroom management.

13. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Feb 17, 2013

creating higher-order questions for tests. Ones that can be asked in multiple-choice format.

I had a college professor that was awesome with this. He could give us a ten-question test, multiple choice, that would tell him more about our understanding than any essay question would.

I can do it somewhat with math-based questions, but not much more than that.

14. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Feb 17, 2013

Lack of confidence...I am so worried that I am not good enough. I teach a Transitional First class and I don't have anyone that teaches that level with me. I also have to come up with all of my own curriculum. There are not state objectives or common core for my level. I can't use first grade curriculum and kindergarten bores my kids. I have to reinvent the wheel most of the day every day and I worry that I am not providing them enough.

This week was my post observation meeting with my principal. She told me that I was wonderful for thinking outside the box. She really made me feel so much better. She talked about how my job required a different type of teacher and that I was good at it. She told me that most of her staff could not do my job and that was why I was "stuck" there. I walked out with a weight lifted off my shoulders. I love my job, but it is hard when you don't have someone to bounce ideas off of. Plus all other grade levels at my school have seven to six other teachers teaching it.

15. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 17, 2013

This is me!

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 17, 2013

I'm not really good with paper organization...I get pretty much everything filed, but I sometimes have trouble getting my hands back on something I know I have. My desk looks disastrous...I'm a piler...I envy people with color coded, indexed files...it's just not who I am.

17. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Feb 17, 2013

Organization with paper.

I am very organized on my computer, but not with paper. The more I go paperless, the better organized I seem to get.

18. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Feb 17, 2013

I'm lazy. If I don't think I'll get in trouble for not doing something, I won't do it. I think my time should be spent making awesome lessons for the kids and setting up cool stuff. Not doing random paperwork, going to worthless meetings or writing stupid long lesson plans for someone who doesn't even understand science to read.

19. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 17, 2013

These. I hate talking on the phone period so to call parents is really something I struggle with. I did mention to a coworker that I needed to call a parent to let her know how well her son is doing. I teach in a small town (but I don't live there) and I end up talking to parents while getting gas before heading home or grabbing something to eat. I'm much more comfortable with that!

It's not that I struggle with classroom management per say, but I feel that my style will be viewed by others as being too lax sometimes...which leads to the last.. lack of confidence. I've been at this position for 3 years and sometimes I still feel like I'm in my first year there!

20. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Feb 17, 2013

Classroom management. I teach several small groups throughout the day and just haven't found what works for me yet. I feel like I'm constantly changing things and the kids know it. My kids aren't necessarily bad, just chatty and not following directions but I feel I should have it more control.

21. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Feb 17, 2013

oh, organization for me too. Well, I'm awesome at organization. Everything has its place and the place makes total sense. I'm not so good at keeping it organized and neat. I'd rather sit a stack of orginals on my desk after making copies than put them back in the appropriate folders/sleeves. I guess that makes me a bad housekeeper instead.

22. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Feb 17, 2013

It's nice to see I'm not the only one who gets nervous on the phone! I don't like talking to people I don't know on the phone either. I order pizza online, and if I couldn't do that, I probably wouldn't get any! Luckily a lot of parents pick up their kids after school so I can just catch them there. I also have a language barrier with some families and we only have one interpreter for the entire building, so I don't want to overwhelm her.

I'm honestly not one for long range planning. I personally feel it's a waste of time because you end up changing so much anyway. I plan one week at a time, and if I could swing it I'd almost rather plan day by day (don't want to risk something coming up though and not being able to get the next day's plans done). The district provides a curriculum map so I know in general what topics are coming next. Even if I analyze a pre test or whatever, sometimes the kids pick up the material way faster than I thought or sometimes they just don't get it and need more days or different types of examples than I originally thought. We're required to have detailed plans which I don't like because in each lesson I really go off of the feedback I'm getting from the kids.

I don't know exactly how to describe it, but my weakest area is that "being excited all of the time" thing. I've seen some teachers teach that just look thrilled to be talking about fractions or whatever all day. I'm an introvert and I just don't know how they do it! Kids like my class and they are making gains, but I think it is noticeable in walkthroughs and things like that. In my last school they kind of liked that about me and said the kids were more "calm/relaxed" with me because they were picking up on my "calm" manner...but now that I'm teaching gen ed it's more expected to be super upbeat/excited looking all of the time.

23. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Feb 17, 2013

Organization. I'm a mess-I have things piled everywhere. I need to just take an afternoon and file all of my papers.

24. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Feb 18, 2013

I am very organized, and good at long range planning. However, I am not spontaneous. That is my weakest area in teaching. I see it planned,and when things happen, I get nervous as to how to make it up! I do, but it still gives me anxiety. I also hate to call parents. I do it, but I don't like it.

25. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Feb 18, 2013

I liked this. I am introverted and an engineer by training. I am excited about my topic (math) but am task oriented so I don't have that "perky" vibe that some others do. I am by nature upbeat and optimistic but it doesn't show through I don't think. I have always wanted to be "perky" or "bubbly" or "vivacious" but I don't think the good Lord created engineers in that mold. I think the kids think I am too serious but I also think they know I care about their learning.

26. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Feb 18, 2013

I am so happy to hear you say this! My school system wants us all on the same page at the same time, but yet they are barking at us to adjust our instruction based on data!

I have 5 special Ed. Students that do not understand place value which is making it difficult for them to learn 2 digit addition, etc. They also struggle with the concept of addition. My time would be far better spent with them working on place value and basic addition. The school system's response is to work with them in small group, but please make sure they can do what is expected. There is only so much time in a day and they aren't my only students with needs. It is so frustrating!!

27. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 18, 2013

Lack of confidence. I never believe I am doing enough or what I am doing is 'good enough'. I always fear parents want their kids in one of the other classes, even though parents tell me how thrilled they are that I am teaching their child.

28. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 18, 2013

Oh, also, differentiation. I have a co worker that can seamlessly meet 3 different levels in her classroom. I collaborate with her often about this, but I just can't seem to get my head around it.

29. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Feb 18, 2013

It is so comforting to hear so many people say this! I plan for the upcoming week on Sunday nights. :unsure:

30. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 18, 2013

I plan for the next day at 4:00 after the kids have left.