What is your view on candy in the classroom?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeacherBug08, Mar 26, 2014.

1. TeacherBug08

TeacherBug08 Companion

Mar 26, 2014

Do you believe it is wrong for teachers to hand out candy to students. I understand this post might have very different views! I am just curious what some takes are on this.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2014

I have never had a problem with it.

4. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Mar 26, 2014

I use starbursts and skittles. Seriously, 2 skittles were the prize for Math bingo. Not 2 bags but two individual skittles. So, I don't have a problem with candy:)

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 26, 2014

I think candy is okay as long as it's not a ton and as long as every single student in the class is able to eat it. If even one student had allergies or health issues or whatever and couldn't have candy, I wouldn't have it in my classroom.

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 26, 2014

We aren't allowed to give students candy but since I work in a self-contained class I was able to put "tangible motivators" on all of their IEPs. I mostly hand out fish crackers but I give out fruit snacks, skittles or M&Ms a couple times a month. But I do I have a rule - if you ask for it, you do not get it.

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2014

I sometimes offer candy to students as rewards and tokens of my appreciation for their help. I have a treasure chest sort of thing with non-candy items and the candy items are in a little tub sitting on top when you open the treasure box. I offer candy regardless of whether one person can't have it due to various restrictions as they choose want they want.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 26, 2014

I give a candy treat as a reward every now and then. I'm cautious of what I stock--no nuts and no gelatin.

However, now that I'm trying to stay away from sugar, my students won't be getting candy. I can't avoid the temptation!

9. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Mar 26, 2014

I only give candy I won't eat:lol:

10. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 26, 2014

I give out hard candy like jolly ranchers. It's not very often though my lunch study hall group gets it once a week during silent reading.

Very rarely they'll get chocolate like from leftover Halloween candy.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 26, 2014

I'm going into day 5 of no sugar--at this point, there aren't many candies I wouldn't eat!

12. a2z

a2z Maven

Mar 26, 2014

I don't mind candy every now and then. I'm more the cookie sort of person.

I do think it is funny that our local elementary school has banned families from sending sugary snacks and provides a healthy snack list (parents basically ignore it after the early grades), but the teacher at all levels hand out candy like it is ... well.... candy. :)

13. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Mar 26, 2014

I'm ok with the random candy treat. Considering most of my students go home and eat chips, pizza, soda, and other junk, I don't feel a small piece of candy from time to time is that harmful. It's hard to find a candy that all my students can eat due to allergies, braces, etc.

14. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Mar 26, 2014

A small treat of candy here and there as prize is not a problem for me! A hershey kiss, skittles, m&ms. They are kids after all.

On a side note in 8th grade my breakfast everyday in Social Studies class was a bag of sour powers. That was the "it" candy along with airheads at my school back in the mid 90s. My teacher never said a thing considering half the class did this everyday.

15. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Mar 26, 2014

I give it out. It is also in the prize box. My school gives it to us to give to students for special events, so it isn't a problem. We can substitute if students aren't able to have certain candy.

16. Ash Inc

Ash Inc Rookie

Mar 26, 2014

I will hand out candy once in a while.
    I never give out large quantities (ie. I will give one gummy worm, not a whole pack). Every now and then I will do it as a little treat to acknowledge students working hard or quiet, or whatnot. Usually I will do something like stickers (which work well with my group), but I think it's a nice treat for them to occasionally get a little candy.

I think a little something here and there is fine. For example, if the class is playing BINGO and receive a sucker for a prize.
    Just not large amounts on a regular basis.