What is your test policy?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by luv2teach415, Sep 1, 2011.

1. luv2teach415

luv2teach415 Companion

Sep 1, 2011

This is my 4th year teaching 5th grade. I always want the parents to know how their children are performing on tests. I usually have the kids bring home their test to get it signed. They then have to bring it back the next day with the signed parent signature. I've always struggled with this though because you have the kids (usually the ones who fail) who "forget" to get it signed or "lose" their test. I know I can just call the parents and tell them the grade but if the child loses it or throws it away, I don't have the proof anymore. My school is lacking in funds, and I highly doubt that they would allow me to make copies of all failed tests. Does anyone have any other ideas to ensure that parents are seeing the test grades? What do you do in your classroom once tests are handed back to students? Thanks for the help!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 1, 2011

I'd hesitate to send home original tests, especially if they were written in pencil: it's fairly easy to erase and make the test look as though it were mis-scored.

If you have access to a scanner, you could perhaps scan each test, then either print the pages double-sided and "2-up" (two pages on one sheet: most fifth graders still write fairly large) and send that home, or even email parents the scan.

4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 1, 2011

I faced many of the same problems. Then I found a way that really helped----The internet was so helpful! We have an online grading program that we pay for. If your school doesn't have the funds, I have heard that engrade is very good at engrade.com. and it is FREE :). As soon as you post the grades, parents will see them as far as I've heard.

Before that I did weekly progress reports with grades where we had weekly test (i.e. spelling, vocabulary, math...) and had a consequence if it wasn't brought in 2 days. I also had an early-bird reward if brought in signed the next day. (I made the rewards small and I taught 3rd grade at the time. It worked well, but this might be tougher with 5th grade)

If you are going to have students have things signed by parents, it won't be easy--been there done that. You'll eventually have to use rewards or punishments or both to get them back.

Good luck to you!

Kevin